Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 04:48 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
Sounds just like Scarsdale in Westchester NY
Yes.

Or Edgemont, or Livingston, or Chatham, or Tenafly, or every other very highly ranked school system. The school systems are a reflection of real life. Because they are at the top, they attract Type A parents who raise Type A children. Some people see this as bad, and for some children, it may be, but as I said, this is what they are going to face when they get out in the real world so if they have the navigation of this environment mastered early, it is second nature as an adult and the chances of success are increased tenfold. There is a reason successful parents have successful children and their learning environment is a huge part of it.

Like I said in an earlier post, I think the people that always state this as a bad thing on here, are probably realtors that sell homes in the mid-ranked towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 02:29 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
For sure.

I can guarantee you that until 35 years ago there was not a single Jewish member of The Short Hills Club and The Racquets Club, both in Short Hills. (Not sure about Canoebrook).

In fact, not only did the clubs exclude Jews, no people of color were permitted to join and yes - believe it or not - no Catholics were permitted to join.

Toward the end of my time living in the area (about 35 years ago), I heard that Racquets Club started accepting Catholics.

I am not sure if any of the clubs above accept Jews yet.
LOL, this would be very funny if it wasn't so sad. With no other way of saying it ,everything you have said is a bald face lie. It's untrue . I was born there ,live there all my life till my early 20's and still have family there ,..........again you are beyond wrong.

Shoshanarose , said...........

"I can guarantee you that until 35 years ago there was not a single Jewish member of The Short Hills Club and The Racquets Club, both in Short Hills. (Not sure about Canoebrook).

In fact, not only did the clubs exclude Jews, no people of color were permitted to join and yes - believe it or not - no Catholics were permitted to join."

I find that particularity funny becuase not only did we live across the street for the "Racquets Club" we were members and went to school at St, Rose. My Brother broke his collar bone sleigh riding at Canoe Brook with the family of our family physician who were members.............and also went to St,Rose.

You're a hater, why I don't know but you need to stop it.

Last edited by G1..; 09-24-2019 at 03:03 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 02:32 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
My Brother broke his collar bone slay riding at Canoe Brook
How many people did he slay while he was riding at Canoe Brook?
Was he convicted for those slayings?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl1996 View Post
Baffled by some of these replies, which I'm assuming are largely from parents of Millburn kids, rather than Millburn alums themselves.

Graduated from Millburn High within the last decade and have a couple of friends from high school that currently teach/coach there, who affirm that the culture hasn't changed much since we went to school there. The "stereotype" of it being a pressure cooker is 100% true, and in my experience this was directly facilitated by peer pressure and the social pressure to succeed more than anything else.

The expectation in my graduating class was that you attended the best ranked college you got into, regardless of the programs offered by that school, how expensive the cost of attendance was, or how expensive it was to hire an SAT tutor or tutors for any of the classes. Your grades and where you went to college was a key determining factor of how "successful" you were not just as a student, but within the school's social hierarchy. You also have to keep in mind that the average household income in Millburn is $200-250k/year and nearly double that in Short Hills, which shares a middle and high school with Millburn - most of the kids attending Millburn schools grow up with a very skewed perspective of wealth, and where money is a widely available and easily expendable resource. This is all well and good if your family is wealthy and can afford to get a new car for the 16-17 year old, or dole out thousands of dollars on private tutors if the SAT scores are deemed "too low" by your child's guidance counselor to get into Penn or Columbia - just know that that's the kind of environment your kid is going to be raised in. During my junior year of high school it wasn't uncommon for someone to turn 17 and get a brand new audi or jeep as a birthday present. It's the "haves" and the "have mores," and once your kids graduate out of the Millburn school system and are thrust out into the real world and are on their own dime, from what I've seen they're much more likely struggle to adjust to budgeting and learning how to live off of a $40-50k starting salary, than my friends who went to, say, Columbia or Jonathon Dayton did.

Now, there are definitely positives about the school system, don't get me wrong. I'd argue most of my teachers from high school were better than the professors I had at my expensive private college. All of my friends from high school have stable jobs and salaries, and they're all motivated and are on a path to do very well in their professional lives. But even that being said, most of us struggle with anxiety and put an immense amount of pressure on ourselves, and I personally think a lot of that stems from being from an area as competitive as Millburn.

In short - I'd definitely give South Orange or Maplewood a look if I were you.

LOL, I too am a graduate of the Millburn School system and I all so know teachers and Administrators there and the pressure is not different there then at any other school .Teenagers in general feel a high amount of "anxiety" simply becuase they are teenagers and I will go on to say that it's a safe bet that all teenagers in any good/ great school system feel the exact same feelings.
The story you weave is the same story that has been told about the kids from Short Hills and Millburn for decades and it was a lie then like it is now.One difference is you forget to mention the "private school students". The ones from Newark Academy,Delbarton, Pingry,Morristown Beard ,Oak Knoll ,Kent Place....etc. Those are the teenagers who are under scrutiny and pressure and suffer from major anxiety .

Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...................good catch ,again typing faster than I should.

SLEIGH,my bad.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
He almost got slayed while sleigh riding. He broke his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder and got 5 stitches in the head .He tried to go under a "concrete" bench and didn't make it.He was 12 in 1969 .

Old 09-24-2019, 03:14 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
He almost got slayed while sleigh riding. He broke his collar bone and dislocated his shoulder and got 5 stitches in the head .He tried to go under a "concrete" bench and didn't make it.He was 12 in 1969 .
I'm really glad that you... somehow... learned a little bit about both spelling and grammar after your "education" at St. Rose's.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:00 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
LOL, this would be very funny if it wasn't so sad. With no other way of saying it ,everything you have said is a bald face lie. It's untrue . I was born there ,live there all my life till my early 20's and still have family there ,..........again you are beyond wrong.

Shoshanarose , said...........

"I can guarantee you that until 35 years ago there was not a single Jewish member of The Short Hills Club and The Racquets Club, both in Short Hills. (Not sure about Canoebrook).

In fact, not only did the clubs exclude Jews, no people of color were permitted to join and yes - believe it or not - no Catholics were permitted to join."

I find that particularity funny becuase not only did we live across the street for the "Racquets Club" we were members and went to school at St, Rose. My Brother broke his collar bone sleigh riding at Canoe Brook with the family of our family physician who were members.............and also went to St,Rose.

You're a hater, why I don't know but you need to stop it.
Okay, so you are telling me that there were/are Jewish members of Racquets Club?

I lived near Racquets Club as well. I know they started accepting Catholics only during my childhood, maybe 35 years ago or so, maybe 40 years ago. Until then, no Catholics (and certainly no Jews, people of color, etc.)

I'm not sure if the Short Hills Club even accepts Catholics to this day! I know they didn't when I was a kid in the 80s, and again, no Jews, people of color, either)

Old 10-02-2019, 07:05 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Okay, so you are telling me that there were/are Jewish members of Racquets Club?

I lived near Racquets Club as well. I know they started accepting Catholics only during my childhood, maybe 35 years ago or so, maybe 40 years ago. Until then, no Catholics (and certainly no Jews, people of color, etc.)

I'm not sure if the Short Hills Club even accepts Catholics to this day! I know they didn't when I was a kid in the 80s, and again, no Jews, people of color, either)
The silence is deafening...

Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,015,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In my experience, all of the highly ranked school systems are like you described. Millburn is not unique in this regard. That is the way the world works though. Best to learn that early in my opinion.
Perhaps it prepares you for Corporate America or a career on Wall Street. However, getting a new car at 17 and being surrounded by all that wealth might create a "bubble" and warped perception of how the real world actually works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey