Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 08:17 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe I just didn’t say it well. I meant their opinion about working from home shouldn’t be any more valuable than anyone else that is able to work from home rather than potentially expose themselves to the virus. But that doesn’t really apply to people that cant work from home. Like doctors, nurses, or grocery store clerks.

but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that their fear is a little more warranted than, say, an office worker. Kids pass germs back and forth constantly. Schools, especially elementary schools, are petri dishes. I get your point on conflict of interest, but I think that has to be weighed with the very real fear that teachers may be feeling.
True, kids are germy little buggers. I am in touch with a former coworker (she is still working, I am retired) and we were laughing remembering how when my daughter was a little girl and would get sick and I would take off to stay home with her, I would not get sick, but whatever my daughter had, I would cart back to work and the next week my coworker would be sick with it.

By the way, she and her husband were both sick at home a couple of weeks ago. His test has come back positive for COVID-19. She hasn't been tested yet.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
His point was that he doesn't think the employees get to decide what's best for the overall institution, whether schools or business.

Teachers deciding how to run schools = CaptainNJ's employees deciding how to run his business.
its important not to make it sound like i am insensitive to the needs/wishes of my employees. that is always factored into the decision making process. however, all my employees wanted to work from home on day 1 even though we really didnt have the capacity to do that effectively and we were given more work to do not less. we have been able to transition reasonably well from about 5% of office staff working from home to 80+% but it took a little time to transition in a way that we could actually effectively perform the work needed to operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe I just didn’t say it well. I meant their opinion about working from home shouldn’t be any more valuable than anyone else that is able to work from home rather than potentially expose themselves to the virus. But that doesn’t really apply to people that cant work from home. Like doctors, nurses, or grocery store clerks.

but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that their fear is a little more warranted than, say, an office worker. Kids pass germs back and forth constantly. Schools, especially elementary schools, are petri dishes. I get your point on conflict of interest, but I think that has to be weighed with the very real fear that teachers may be feeling.
absolutely, illness spreads quickly in schools. i guess i put myself in a weird position because i agree with the teachers, i just dont like the idea of weighing someone's opinion more heavily when they have a clear conflict of interest.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:32 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,219 times
My only issue is that I am working full time from home. My husband is working full time at his office. And i am homeschooling too. Long term remote schooling doesnt work when the parents also have to work. The teachers full time job is to teach. My full time job is to engineer. Now I am doing a full time job engineering, full time homeschooling and full time household running. So i get a little perturbed when the teachers say its been hard to teach remotely. Yes it has, for everyone. So noone should get more say than anyone else in how this goes. The government who is deciding for us shouldnt weight the opinions of the teachers more than the parents impacted by it

Old 04-30-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
My only issue is that I am working full time from home. My husband is working full time at his office. And i am homeschooling too. Long term remote schooling doesnt work when the parents also have to work. The teachers full time job is to teach. My full time job is to engineer. Now I am doing a full time job engineering, full time homeschooling and full time household running. So i get a little perturbed when the teachers say its been hard to teach remotely. Yes it has, for everyone. So noone should get more say than anyone else in how this goes. The government who is deciding for us shouldnt weight the opinions of the teachers more than the parents impacted by it
my kindergartner is done by 11am and my 4th grader is done by 2pm. i dont blame the teachers, they are great teachers. however, im pretty sure this is an easier situation for most of them. also, many people are going to end up going back to work and feel unsafe but if they dont do it they wont get paid. teachers are in a fortunate position to be getting paid the same either way.

in the meantime, this loss of school and the additional tutoring for my kindergartner is hurting her learning to the point where i think we may want to keep her there an extra year. my wife is trying a learning program she bought with mixed success and im trying to read with her at night but time is running out. its frustrating but i think we are going to have to seriously consider it.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,248,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my kindergartner is done by 11am and my 4th grader is done by 2pm. i dont blame the teachers, they are great teachers. however, im pretty sure this is an easier situation for most of them. also, many people are going to end up going back to work and feel unsafe but if they dont do it they wont get paid. teachers are in a fortunate position to be getting paid the same either way.

in the meantime, this loss of school and the additional tutoring for my kindergartner is hurting her learning to the point where i think we may want to keep her there an extra year. my wife is trying a learning program she bought with mixed success and im trying to read with her at night but time is running out. its frustrating but i think we are going to have to seriously consider it.
My son is in kinder and we have a kid in 10th grade. The 5 year old has a few hours of work a day, sometimes less. But there arent enough hours in the day to work full time and spend a few hours teaching as well as making dinner and such. Quite frankly its becoming exhausting. Im sure they are struggling with getting kids to do the work and be consistent but the parents who are consistent are putting a lot of work into it. He cant read. The instructions on the websites are hard to follow or dont work correctly. So i spend more time than he does doing it because i have to search out materials to make an anemometer or some such other thing. I am trying not to let him fall behind but we are all a little burnt out.

Thankfully at some point im sure the child care centers will reopen and he can go to camp which does a few hours of instruction a day to help catch him up and hes young so I think he will catch up.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
My son is in kinder and we have a kid in 10th grade. The 5 year old has a few hours of work a day, sometimes less. But there arent enough hours in the day to work full time and spend a few hours teaching as well as making dinner and such. Quite frankly its becoming exhausting. Im sure they are struggling with getting kids to do the work and be consistent but the parents who are consistent are putting a lot of work into it. He cant read. The instructions on the websites are hard to follow or dont work correctly. So i spend more time than he does doing it because i have to search out materials to make an anemometer or some such other thing. I am trying not to let him fall behind but we are all a little burnt out.

Thankfully at some point im sure the child care centers will reopen and he can go to camp which does a few hours of instruction a day to help catch him up and hes young so I think he will catch up.
definitely, its a challenging situation for moms that dont work a job; id imagine for those working full time it is very difficult.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:27 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Don't forget that many teachers have kids of their own, so they are in the same situation as everyone else. They are trying to teach their class while also teaching their own kids who are at home.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:05 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,938 times
This online teaching has failed the students big. How are you expecting student to learn when they receive two 30 minutes session a day?

I think this pave the way for home schooling and get ride of the teacher union for good.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 AM

19,132 posts, read 25,341,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
This online teaching has failed the students big. How are you expecting student to learn when they receive two 30 minutes session a day? I think this pave the way for home schooling and get ride of the teacher union for good.
Stated like a person who is truly well-educated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: