Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:35 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my kindergartner is done by 11am and my 4th grader is done by 2pm. i dont blame the teachers, they are great teachers. however, im pretty sure this is an easier situation for most of them. also, many people are going to end up going back to work and feel unsafe but if they dont do it they wont get paid. teachers are in a fortunate position to be getting paid the same either way.

in the meantime, this loss of school and the additional tutoring for my kindergartner is hurting her learning to the point where i think we may want to keep her there an extra year. my wife is trying a learning program she bought with mixed success and im trying to read with her at night but time is running out. its frustrating but i think we are going to have to seriously consider it.
Aw, I'm sure she'll be okay. Until schools open again, give her plenty of building toys. Things like Tinker Toys, Lego, and K-Nex all exercise the brain, even if the child isn't learning math facts or reading skills. Would your fourth grader agree to teach her something he/she learned each day?

Most of our teachers are doing a great job, with one or two exceptions. My youngest is currently failing World Cultures and History. 32%, lol. And this is the kid with the IQ of 150. He's bored, and the teacher just posts videos and EdPuzzles for them, with a GoogleDoc asking questions about what they watched. I haven't been staying right on top of him, because he's usually so good about getting work done. I didn't know he wasn't doing it until I got an email from the teacher. And not sure why the teacher didn't send that email until my kid had missed his 7th assignment!

The email literally said, "He does not seem to be having any issues in his other classes. Just curious as to why work is incomplete, late or not being done in my class". I felt like writing back, "Because your class is boring the hell out of him and he never sees your face or hears your voice", but figured that would just make matters worse.

By contrast, my older son's science teacher should win some kind of award, or be thrown a gigantic party when this is over. The first day out - St. Patrick's day - he set up Zoom, came to class in a top hat and big, bushy fake beard, and kept up an Irish brogue nearly the entire period. Awesome way to help put the kids at ease with this new process. He had them build Rube Goldberg projects and did the work right along with them, posting his own videos, failures and all. His little daughter sometimes interrupts the frequent Zoom meetings, but it's good for the kids to see this human side, and it actually keeps them really engaged in what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 07:00 AM

586 posts, read 314,890 times
Default NJ teachers group speaks up

What group? How many members? Do they need more room than a phone booth to hold meetings?

Old 05-01-2020, 07:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You're alowed to give yours ,they can give theirs.
i have not and would not suggest otherwise.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:39 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Aw, I'm sure she'll be okay. Until schools open again, give her plenty of building toys. Things like Tinker Toys, Lego, and K-Nex all exercise the brain, even if the child isn't learning math facts or reading skills. Would your fourth grader agree to teach her something he/she learned each day?

Most of our teachers are doing a great job, with one or two exceptions. My youngest is currently failing World Cultures and History. 32%, lol. And this is the kid with the IQ of 150. He's bored, and the teacher just posts videos and EdPuzzles for them, with a GoogleDoc asking questions about what they watched. I haven't been staying right on top of him, because he's usually so good about getting work done. I didn't know he wasn't doing it until I got an email from the teacher. And not sure why the teacher didn't send that email until my kid had missed his 7th assignment!

The email literally said, "He does not seem to be having any issues in his other classes. Just curious as to why work is incomplete, late or not being done in my class". I felt like writing back, "Because your class is boring the hell out of him and he never sees your face or hears your voice", but figured that would just make matters worse.

By contrast, my older son's science teacher should win some kind of award, or be thrown a gigantic party when this is over. The first day out - St. Patrick's day - he set up Zoom, came to class in a top hat and big, bushy fake beard, and kept up an Irish brogue nearly the entire period. Awesome way to help put the kids at ease with this new process. He had them build Rube Goldberg projects and did the work right along with them, posting his own videos, failures and all. His little daughter sometimes interrupts the frequent Zoom meetings, but it's good for the kids to see this human side, and it actually keeps them really engaged in what's going on.
That is what happens, though, even in normal times. The high-IQ kids gets bored easily and do just enough to skate by. Doesn't help if he has a boring teacher, too.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
BS , and not all are getting paid .So my opinion to you is to shut up about something you know very little about . Not all Teachers work for the State .The discussion is SCHOOLS and TEACHING , HELL YES THEIR OPINION MATTERS.

Three in my family are Teachers and in their opinions schools need to reopen ....and yes in the best interest of the kids. Some kids parents are just not teachers , some kids can't sign on with out an adult ,some kids don't have a computer or internet access and sadly some students are safer at school.Think!
oh my god, drama. yes, everyone's opinions matters. but their opinions matters the same as anyone else's, not more.

Old 05-01-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:

my 4th grader is the most patient one among us. maybe she should be the one doing the program with the younger one. my wife is the least patient among us. she is always helping her with things, ill discuss tutoring with her.

this remote learning is fine for a kid like my older daughter who is both smart and diligent in doing her work. she does everything without my wife's intervention. but for kids who arent as committed to doing what they are supposed to or one's that need more help; this is probably going to lead to a lot of problems and kids needing to repeat this grade.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:12 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
Quote:
my 4th grader is the most patient one among us. maybe she should be the one doing the program with the younger one. my wife is the least patient among us. she is always helping her with things, ill discuss tutoring with her.

this remote learning is fine for a kid like my older daughter who is both smart and diligent in doing her work. she does everything without my wife's intervention. but for kids who arent as committed to doing what they are supposed to or one's that need more help; this is probably going to lead to a lot of problems and kids needing to repeat this grade.
My husband is the impatient one in our family, and this shutdown isn't helping. Every time we have to ask for something (ex., I'm a Luddite, and can't figure out how to get the X-Box to play a DVD), I tell the kids to go ask their dad, and they all yell 'not it'!! Poor kids. I guess it's teaching them about working with difficult people, lol.

We both yelled at the youngest over his grade, but now I'm over it, while hubby is still stewing. Big picture, kid's life isn't going to be ruined because he failed one quarter of sixth-grade social studies. As long as he understands that a pattern of this behavior WILL wreck things for him, it's going to be okay.

I don't see schools holding kids back in the younger grades, but this definitely will present challenges when we do get back to school and there are gaps in knowledge.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I don't see schools holding kids back in the younger grades, but this definitely will present challenges when we do get back to school and there are gaps in knowledge.
i dont think the school will hold her back, its us making that decision. its not unusual these days for parents to keep kids back a year if their kids are behind. usually this is done early, like kindergarten or pre-school. my wife has been very much opposed to it but i am ok with it if we feel it would benefit her. she was doing pretty good as we were having her go to a tutoring place and she was catching up. but now she seems to have gone backwards.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:36 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,675,028 times
Quote:
oh my god, drama. yes, everyone's opinions matters. but their opinions matters the same as anyone else's, not more.
LOL, when it comes to Teaching , yes, it does.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:23 PM

206 posts, read 116,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytodd View Post
Agreed they are working and most are doing their best. Some are likely not putting the same effort but many are.

As a parent of elementary school aged kids it runs the gamut in terms of effort.

Some teachers give out endless email assignments for parents to teach the kids. A few are scanned back for feedback.

Some other teachers are dedicated and do zoom meetings with the kids all day every day teaching them thru the video conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: