Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 03:09 AM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times

Advertisements

I am hearing about people having to teach their children, but I guess I got lucky, because we are not finding we have to teach them any more than when they are in regular school. They are having face to face classes on the computer, where they can ask questions, and their reading and homework assignments are right there on the computer too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 08:41 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I am hearing about people having to teach their children, but I guess I got lucky, because we are not finding we have to teach them any more than when they are in regular school. They are having face to face classes on the computer, where they can ask questions, and their reading and homework assignments are right there on the computer too.
I think it all depends on the age of the kids. My kids are in 4th grade and Kindergarten. My 4th grader does everything on his own. I have not needed to get involved at all in his school work. Kindergarten is another story. It is very difficult getting a 5 year old to sit in front of a computer and focus on work. That is half the battle. Then once he is settled I have to guide him through every online lesson. He doesn't know how to navigate through the app, turn on video, end a video, take pictures of his work, send in that work, etc. So while I'm not really "teaching", I do have to offer a lot of guidance just to get the work done. I would think that the older a kid is the more self sufficient they are.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:58 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post
As a parent of elementary school aged kids it runs the gamut in terms of effort.

Some teachers give out endless email assignments for parents to teach the kids. A few are scanned back for feedback.

Some other teachers are dedicated and do zoom meetings with the kids all day every day teaching them thru the video conference.
As the husband an Father of teachers(3 in all) all Kindergarten and First grade ,it's been a living hell for the Teachers,parents not understanding ,parents not following instructions from teachers ,Parents doing stuff on their own and not in the order the class is doing the work . Some children can't sign on without a parent ,some have no internet access at all . Teachers having to come up with "lesson plains for the day" yet the actual tools they use to teach are at the school .Teachers making up "packets" and standing in school parking lots to hand out to the parents and then parents not using them,Teachers delivering packets to the actual homes of students becuase the parents won't come or can't come to the school. It's a nightmare but as my Wife and daughters have said the fun thing about Teaching was the kids and now that is gone .

Old 05-03-2020, 11:33 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
As the husband an Father of teachers(3 in all) all Kindergarten and First grade ,it's been a living hell for the Teachers,parents not understanding ,parents not following instructions from teachers ,Parents doing stuff on their own and not in the order the class is doing the work . Some children can't sign on without a parent ,some have no internet access at all . Teachers having to come up with "lesson plains for the day" yet the actual tools they use to teach are at the school .Teachers making up "packets" and standing in school parking lots to hand out to the parents and then parents not using them,Teachers delivering packets to the actual homes of students becuase the parents won't come or can't come to the school. It's a nightmare but as my Wife and daughters have said the fun thing about Teaching was the kids and now that is gone .
So everything is the parents' fault. Got it.

Perhaps the school district could coordinate so that all the teachers in the district are doing things consistently. As a parent, that would be a big help. Right now it's just one big free for all. One of my child's teachers is using Google Classroom. My other child's teacher is using some classroom app that you have to install on a tablet. One of them uses Google Meet while the other uses Zoom. Then you have the art teacher sending emails with assignments to the kids' school email address. The music teacher is sending emails to the parents' email address. I have to check in 10 different places just to figure out what my kids need to do each day. Sometimes they post assignments by 9am and other days they just randomly post assignments in the middle of the afternoon with no due date. And you're surprised parents are having a hard time with this?

One of my kids has been turning in completed assignments over the last 6 weeks and there has not been a single response from his teacher about what he did right or wrong. I don't even know if they are looking at the assignments the kids are completing.

So don't blame the parents. I'm doing all this while also putting in a 50 hour work week. It's a living hell for us too. We are all trying to figure this out together.

Last edited by ansky; 05-03-2020 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 11:49 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
Every parent knows that schools are germ factories. Of course they should stay closed at least through the summer, and re-evaluate in the fall.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:09 PM

195 posts, read 135,942 times
they wanna “teach from home” and keep the same salary and benefits. Its human nature to do as little as possible with the same provisioning. They should be careful though because some ppl may call for reduction or freezing of salary because the reduced responsibility. Some parent might even educate their own kids... if the teachers dont wanna come in indefinitely.

Remember, for the most part Its the people still collecting paychecks calling for the perpetual lockdown... because they have nothing to lose and dont have the same level of work as before.

Last edited by Cptjcz; 05-03-2020 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjcz View Post
they wanna “teach from home” and keep the same salary and benefits. Its human nature to do as little as possible with the same provisioning. They should be careful though because some ppl may call for reduction or freezing of salary because the reduced responsibility. Some parent might even educate their own kids... if the teachers dont wanna come in indefinitely.

Remember, for the most part Its the people still collecting paychecks calling for the perpetual lockdown... because they have nothing to lose and dont have the same level of work as before.

You are so full of baloney it's not funny ,spoken like a true class clown.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
So everything is the parents' fault. Got it.

Perhaps the school district could coordinate so that all the teachers in the district are doing things consistently. As a parent, that would be a big help. Right now it's just one big free for all. One of my child's teachers is using Google Classroom. My other child's teacher is using some classroom app that you have to install on a tablet. One of them uses Google Meet while the other uses Zoom. Then you have the art teacher sending emails with assignments to the kids' school email address. The music teacher is sending emails to the parents' email address. I have to check in 10 different places just to figure out what my kids need to do each day. Sometimes they post assignments by 9am and other days they just randomly post assignments in the middle of the afternoon with no due date. And you're surprised parents are having a hard time with this?

One of my kids has been turning in completed assignments over the last 6 weeks and there has not been a single response from his teacher about what he did right or wrong. I don't even know if they are looking at the assignments the kids are completing.

So don't blame the parents. I'm doing all this while also putting in a 50 hour work week. It's a living hell for us too. We are all trying to figure this out together.
Yup 90% of it is, it's super parents like you who know everything and nothing at the same time. It's parents like you that my family is up at 4:am doing lesson plans and stay up till ten at night answering email questions from parents like you.Are all teacher perfect .......hell no but to throw blame on the teachers is ignorant and moronic by the parents!

Old 05-03-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Every parent knows that schools are germ factories. Of course they should stay closed at least through the summer, and re-evaluate in the fall.
They are going to open.

Old 05-03-2020, 05:06 PM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Yup 90% of it is, it's super parents like you who know everything and nothing at the same time. It's parents like you that my family is up at 4:am doing lesson plans and stay up till ten at night answering email questions from parents like you.Are all teacher perfect .......hell no but to throw blame on the teachers is ignorant and moronic by the parents!

Ansky gave his perspective as a parent. Sounded pretty objective to me, and in no way bashing teachers. You are neither a teacher or a parent of school-aged children. You’re literally just voicing someone else’s opinion on the matter. Maybe ease up on the insults a bit. I shouldn’t have to be telling an old man this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: