Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:48 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgochamp View Post
Hey guys, since we're talking about guns...

What happens if you own a bunch of guns in another state but decide to move to NJ? Do you have to sell your guns? Do you send them to a dealer so they can hold it until you get your permits? I probably won't ever move back to NJ but you never know.

Also, let's say I lived in Pennsylvania where gun laws aren't as strict as NJ... Is it illegal to drive into PA with a gun in your car?
You can bring any NJ legal guns with you when you move, but only when you are actually in the process of moving in, and you can't make any side stops once you're in NJ. Similar to going to/from a range in NJ from your home - no stops in between.

The PA law on traveling with guns is a little unclear. I have a cc permit for PA, not because I actually do carry, but just to cover myself having a gun in the car.

Because you can't travel to and from NJ and PA with guns, I have dedicated NJ/PA firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 10:50 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You don't have to sell your guns. You take them directly to your new home and put them away. You're not even required to register them. You can take your gun into PA.
I thought technically you can only do this if you're going to a range.

Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgochamp View Post
Hey guys, since we're talking about guns...

What happens if you own a bunch of guns in another state but decide to move to NJ? Do you have to sell your guns? Do you send them to a dealer so they can hold it until you get your permits? I probably won't ever move back to NJ but you never know.

Also, let's say I lived in Pennsylvania where gun laws aren't as strict as NJ... Is it illegal to drive into PA with a gun in your car?
Any guns you own when you move to New Jersey have to be in compliance with New Jersey’s laws for example, limitations on the number of rounds a magazine can hold, no threaded barrels and so on. Perform your due diligence before bringing them into New Jersey. They have very strict rules.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,481,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Any guns you own when you move to New Jersey have to be in compliance with New Jersey’s laws for example, limitations on the number of rounds a magazine can hold, no threaded barrels and so on. Perform your due diligence before bringing them into New Jersey. They have very strict rules.

In all fairness, they really should make guns law more clear. Especially since PA and NJ have such different gun laws.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
The supreme court was supposed to hear and rule on gun laws this year that would impose a federal gun law across all 50 states instead of so many state imposed restrictions such as open carry, transporting, and bans on certain guns. Right now if you are a gun owner in certain states transporting your gun you had better read up on the gun laws of each state or risk being arrested if you were pulled over. I read there was a mother of 2 from PA, driving through NJ and was pulled over for traffic issue but was arrested for having a legal PA handgun in the glove compartment. Perfectly legal in PA but not in NJ. I think Gov. Christie pardoned her already after being in jail for a month or so. It's just ridiculous that states with strict gun laws have cities that have the most gun violence. Those laws did nothing to deter illegal firearms.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:27 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,028,155 times
gun buying frenzy happens every time lootings, arsons, rioting, and wide scale destruction of property takes place.

this is nothing new

Old 06-05-2020, 01:27 PM

56 posts, read 105,253 times
Thanks for the replies. I messed up on my original reply. I meant if someone lives in PA, can they drive into NJ with their gun?

Old 06-05-2020, 02:05 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Went to the nearby gunstore on Friday 5/29 and it was a long line to get in. I probably waited 25mins to get in and pick up my ammunition and new handgun. I was surprised to see novices that I never seen before show up and couldn't buy a handgun because they were sold out and ended up picking up an AR-15 instead. A lot of folks were just desperate to get anything but you can't just buy a gun the same day without going through a background check. This guy next to me had an envelope with cash probably a thousand dollars. He has no clue what to buy but I guess with the riots happening he probably wanted to protect his business or home. But Friday was definitely a very busy day compared to Fridays in the past at this gun store.
Wow lots of crap posts I had to go through...got a kick out of the one person that said "you white people with your guns" and wasn't even black.

AR-15 is good but remember if you use for home defense those rounds penetrate so it might not be the safest if you have kids in other rooms. Of course handgun and shotgun penetrates as well but not as much and you can get ammo that travels less - stops the bad guy but doesn't pass through as much. Also in enclosed spaces a handgun is much easier to handle. AR-15 is like the perfect rifle however - join a gun range (preferably outdoors), bring the kids, and go target shooting. It's a blast. Turn gun ownership into a hobby, it's more than just self defense, much more.

I'm all for first gun purchases but I expect lots of these weapons are panic buys and will be sold back to the gun store in a few months...which is OK for me as I get bargain weapons. But don't forget safety training, legal training on proper legal usage, understand how the gun operates, and of course practice, practice, practice. Also learn to keep secure if you have children obviously, and DON'T LEAVE IN YOUR CAR. It will get stolen and then the bad guy get's a gun and that person that isn't black but complains about white guys with guns will complain even more.

Good luck.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:17 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
But Friday was definitely a very busy day compared to Fridays in the past at this gun store.
I couldn't tell you where a single gun store is in NJ. I'm proud of that.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:17 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,936 times
Quote:
The supreme court was supposed to hear and rule on gun laws this year that would impose a federal gun law across all 50 states instead of so many state imposed restrictions such as open carry, transporting, and bans on certain guns.
States Rights and reducing the power of the Federal Government are a cornerstone of conservative thinking, until there is an issue that needs fixing, then States Rights do not matter.

Quote:
Right now if you are a gun owner in certain states transporting your gun you had better read up on the gun laws of each state or risk being arrested if you were pulled over. I read there was a mother of 2 from PA, driving through NJ and was pulled over for traffic issue but was arrested for having a legal PA handgun in the glove compartment. Perfectly legal in PA but not in NJ. I think Gov. Christie pardoned her already after being in jail for a month or so.
She was pulled over for a traffic violation, told the officer she had a loaded handgun in the glove box (hollow points, also illegal in NJ) and was arrested. The prosecutor was playing hardball in this case to set an example. As a first time offender, she could have gone to a diversionary program, which would have been appropriate. She could not post bail and spent 40 days in jail. Christie eventually pardoned her.

Quote:
It's just ridiculous that states with strict gun laws have cities that have the most gun violence. Those laws did nothing to deter illegal firearms.
As of 2018, the firearm mortality per capita rate for NJ is 5th lowest in the USA at 4.8deaths/100k total population (420 deaths).

Pennsylvania - 12.5deaths/100k total population and 1654 deaths.
Mississippi has the worst rate at 22.9deaths/100k total population and 681 deaths.

The other states with low firearm death rates are also states with stricter gun laws.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/firearm_mortality/firearm.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: