Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think that bringing up the visa overstays is a deflection tactic and i doubt it is true. i bet many more people cross the southern border illegally than visa overstays. it seems like something people who dont want the southern border dealt with say to support not dealing with the border.

i personally dont care about illegal immigration, just being objective.
No, it is not a deflection tactic.
I personally know of a person who did this.
It is quite easy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 10:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
No, it is not a deflection tactic.
I personally know of a person who did this.
It is quite easy.

i am aware that a lot of people do this.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:50 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,602 times
All I am saying is that while the eyes are fixated on the southern border, more people are sneaking in via the air then they realize. LOL.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:59 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
All I am saying is that while the eyes are fixated on the southern border, more people are sneaking in via the air then they realize. LOL.

Anyone who I have personally known of being here illegally has done it this way. Then they marry a US Citizen for papers. I have no clue what the number of people who do it this way versus crossing the border is. I would imagine people who overstay their visas are less of a threat, as a whole.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:30 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
How does this make any legal sense at all? We are going to be granting professional licenses to people who are not legally allowed to work here. This, plus all the other recent laws we are passing, like in-state tuition and driver's licenses, we may as well send invitations to all illegal aliens saying "Please move to NJ.".
Why should the licensing board be involved in verifying right to work on top of all the other credentials? Employers are responsible for verifying work eligibility. If the "illegal" gets a license but then can't get a job, what's the point? Are you worried about a bunch of illegal anesthesiologists moving to NJ and taking your job? lol

Quote:
This bill provides that, notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, lawful presence in the United States may not be required to obtain a professional or occupational license, provided that the applicant meets all other requirements for licensure.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:21 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
How does this make any legal sense at all? We are going to be granting professional licenses to people who are not legally allowed to work here. This, plus all the other recent laws we are passing, like in-state tuition and driver's licenses, we may as well send invitations to all illegal aliens saying "Please move to NJ.".

As the article states, this is in direct violation of federal law, but unless and until, someone challenges it in federal court, this will be the law in NJ as soon as Murphy signs it.

https://www.fairus.org/legislation/i...7BNP9LD-bUcVso
From what I’ve read it’s for Dreamers. I don’t have a problem with that, those people were brought here as kids. The only thing controversial to me is why they don’t have a path to citizenship yet.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:33 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
The way this articles comes to its conclusion isn't perfect, but visa overstays at the very least do represent a significant proportion of illegals.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/10/68366...e-data-tell-us

I've gone out with a couple of chicks who I suspected over-stayed their visa. They didn't go to college here, had no family here, didn't have any kind of in demand skill, and they would obfuscate details about their past.

What annoys me about illegal immigration advocates is all of the obfuscation they engage in. If you want practically anyone who could walk through a checkpoint or buy a plane ticket to have the right to live and work here, fair enough. At least be honest about it and push for a change in law that makes whatever you envision so. None of this we'll have laws but not really enforce them and just give everyone amnesty every so often bull****. It makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited by TylerJAX; 07-21-2020 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2020, 05:38 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Why should the licensing board be involved in verifying right to work on top of all the other credentials? Employers are responsible for verifying work eligibility. If the "illegal" gets a license but then can't get a job, what's the point? Are you worried about a bunch of illegal anesthesiologists moving to NJ and taking your job? lol
The better question is, why do you want to make it easier for them to work illegally?

Why is it a problem letting the licensing boards verify the legality of the applicants. I don't remember hearing any outcry from the licensing boards about having to do this all these years. I remember having to get fingerprinted when I got my medical license. Every time I renew my license, I have to answer whether or not I have been arrested for anything since the last time I renewed. Clearly, they think the legalities of their applicant's situations are important in maintaining licensure, so why shouldn't they care if their applicants are breaking the law every day by working?

No, I don't think there will be a whole lot of illegal medical doctors. And even if there was, I am 51 years old. I plan on retiring in 9 years, so not much in the health care debate bothers me very much these days. But that is not the point. I don't need something to harm me directly to know that it is wrong. Cant I feel empathy for the contractors, plumbers, etc who work in the state?

Should our own citizens have to compete with poor foreign workers for jobs? It seems like a race to the bottom to me. How many poor foreign workers is too much? Where do we draw the line? Does everybody have to make minimum wage before we are satisfied?

Old 07-21-2020, 05:43 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
From what I’ve read it’s for Dreamers. I don’t have a problem with that, those people were brought here as kids. The only thing controversial to me is why they don’t have a path to citizenship yet.
As far as I know, the bill doesn't say anything about dreamers in it. If it was specifically for dreamers, then I don't think I would find it to be such a big deal, but I am pretty sure the democrats mades sure to include ALL illegal aliens in the bill.

So unless they change the wording to only include people who qualify for the dream act, I am very much against this bill.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:07 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
As far as I know, the bill doesn't say anything about dreamers in it. If it was specifically for dreamers, then I don't think I would find it to be such a big deal, but I am pretty sure the democrats mades sure to include ALL illegal aliens in the bill.

So unless they change the wording to only include people who qualify for the dream act, I am very much against this bill.
Well, I don't know any Democrats who think that way. We would be FOR the DACA people but against illegal immigration. Probably if we made it easier for people to get in the legal way, we wouldn't have so many people sneaking in. People whose backgrounds and identities we don't even know, people with no qualifications, people who have no right to be here and put a burden on the schools, roads, housing, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey