Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:59 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,010,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are a lot of Republicans in parts of Monmouth, but there are a fair amount of liberals and middle-of-the-roaders or people who don't hold fast to one party, as well.
I agree, and that can be said with most of the state. However the OP said he wants a "liberal" town and school district. To be honest, as I posted earlier on, liberal town + good school district is a unicorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
If schools are your priority, then I would just move out to the straight suburbs ... Livingston, Milburn, East Hanover.

Then, whatever academic level your kids end up being, whether it be 'worst case' lower level or more special needs, they'll be out of a 'danger zone' I guess.

OTOH, if you implant in your kids' heads that academic achievement is the priority and you envision like Top 5% and all AP classes student (and they buy it), then it really doesn't matter if they go to South Orange, or Parsippany, or Livingston, or Cranford, they will rise to the top, because not everybody is going to train their kids in that way, upper class or not.

Old 08-05-2021, 12:08 PM

968 posts, read 726,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I agree, and that can be said with most of the state. However the OP said he wants a "liberal" town and school district. To be honest, as I posted earlier on, liberal town + good school district is a unicorn.
Nah, they definitely exist. Millburn, right next to Maplewood, voted overwhelmingly for Biden and is maybe the top public school district in the state. Ditto Princeton & Ridgewood. Where I grew up in MA, towns like Lexington (which is one of the top performing districts in the country, per a NY Times article fairly recently) are also some of the most liberal in an overwhelmingly liberal state. Brookline too, and I can name probably 20 other towns that would fit that description there.

Now, you will pay out the nose in many cases. But they are not unicorns.

Old 08-05-2021, 01:50 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If schools are your priority, then I would just move out to the straight suburbs ... Livingston, Milburn, East Hanover.

Then, whatever academic level your kids end up being, whether it be 'worst case' lower level or more special needs, they'll be out of a 'danger zone' I guess.

OTOH, if you implant in your kids' heads that academic achievement is the priority and you envision like Top 5% and all AP classes student (and they buy it), then it really doesn't matter if they go to South Orange, or Parsippany, or Livingston, or Cranford, they will rise to the top, because not everybody is going to train their kids in that way, upper class or not.
Yup. Exactly. Due to circumstances, I raised my daughter in Midland Park, next to Ridgewood, a town the OP would likely not even consider (and which, lol, had a Republican Club and a NEW Republican Club that broke off from the old Republican Club but where, to everyone's shock, a Democrat was elected to borough council and an independent won Mayor when I lived there). It has a small-town flavor that doesn't attract parents who dream of their kids being sports stars--no hs football team, for example.

But my kid loved school, and still does. She has two Bachelors, a Master's, is abd for her PhD, speaks fluent Mandarin and has lived in China twice, has taught Mandarin at a private school on Long Island, and this year will be a GA again at a SUNY.

And I did the hour and 20 minute commute from there to the WTC until the buildings went down, then did Flatiron, Jersey City, and back to the WTC site for the rebuilding, all more or less the same time frame. Flatiron a bit longer.

Anyway, if your kid doesn't give a rat's ass, schools won't matter. If they do, they will do fine even if the ranking is only 50 or whatever. The safe, small-town vibe worked for us. Good network in a small town. And nice people. Most were not extreme in their politics, but you always get a few of those types no matter where you go.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2021 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-05-2021, 07:44 PM

23 posts, read 28,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gothamboy217 View Post
I'll throw this out there (as many have already covered towns I would suggest).

Are you strictly wanting your kids to enroll in public schools? I ask because Jersey City has become the hip, trendy liberal city that has a Brooklyn feel (downtown has a mix of Williamsburg, Park Slope feel) with access to public transportation (light rail) that allows kids to travel out to well-regarded private schools in the suburbs. And certainly you have access to Path that would lead to a short commute to Downtown NYC. Many Brooklyn residents have moved across the water and settled in downtown JC area over the last five years.

If you are thinking a pure suburban play, then you have options like Montclair/Maplewood that are socially left-leaning & have respectable public school systems. You also have higher-end suburbs like Livingston/Millburn/Summit that have shifted to the left during the Trump years. They are probably moderate-left more than progressive left, and are in the top tier of public schools in the state (Millburn especially).

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your search.
This is really interesting -- I didn't think of Jersey City because I thought it is still kind of sketchy there in many areas. Is that not true? Thank you so much for your comment!

Old 08-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Curious as to why you aren't thinking Middletown, like everyone else who ever moved to NJ from Staten Island or Brooklyn and commutes downtown. . (But seriously, Middletown has the distinction of having lost more residents on 9/11 than any other NJ town.) Definitely a little more than an hour, but within the 1.5, and you'll find the school system and property you want, plus quick access to the shore and the benefits of the excellent Monmouth County park system for the kids.
Thanks for the response -- what are the benefits of the park system there? Also, when I mapped middletown to NYC, I got about a 2h commute from GMAPS via train. Is that right?

Old 08-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Monmouth County is great place to live and go to school but its a red county/Trump land. Seems like OP knows more about 'SOMA' then most people on the board here and thats what they want. As someone else said thats probably your best bet and Montclair.
Hmm I would like to avoid Trump land because I'm not sure we'd be accepted there as easily. It seems like so much of my community would be my immediate neighbors and my children's friends parents, and I really care about making new and lasting friendships. I'd worry about picking the wrong street or something..

Old 08-05-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This is actually a really good point. I do care a lot about education -- but I think kids' are easily influenced by their surroundings and friends, and they might have a better chance if I help them be surrounded by very good education

Old 08-06-2021, 02:46 PM

189 posts, read 582,850 times
Quote:
You're out of touch, dude. Not only are the top districts in NJ mostly Democrat, but it's also true across the country. Of the top states for education, most are blue (ie mass, NJ, CT, etc) The data doesn't care about your feelings.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:53 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petunie View Post
Thanks for the response -- what are the benefits of the park system there? Also, when I mapped middletown to NYC, I got about a 2h commute from GMAPS via train. Is that right?
No, but that might be right taking a local on off-hours. Rush hours have express trains that don't hit every stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey