Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 28,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
It is a lousy school district with ridiculous taxes for what you get.
the schools good
What makes it a lousy school district? I thought it had good schools?

On a related note.. do property taxes ever go down? or is it all uphill from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 07:30 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petunie View Post
What makes it a lousy school district? I thought it had good schools?

On a related note.. do property taxes ever go down? or is it all uphill from here?
It’s not a lousy school district by any stretch of the imagination. It does rank somewhat lower than most other districts of comparable affluence, for a whole bunch of complicated reasons I’m not in the mood to get into right now.

But lousy? Y’all need to stop…

Old 08-13-2021, 09:31 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
It’s not a lousy school district by any stretch of the imagination. It does rank somewhat lower than most other districts of comparable affluence, for a whole bunch of complicated reasons I’m not in the mood to get into right now.

You can’t take anyone’s comments here seriously because EVERYTHING they comment on is skewed by their political affiliation.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:37 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

You can’t take anyone’s comments here seriously because EVERYTHING they comment on is skewed by their political affiliation.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdkj View Post
Maplewood (also SO) in the 60's to late 70's was a very special time and place. While I feel the magic of that era is mostly diminished, it's still a great location to raise your children into well cultured responsible adults. Amazing programs for children and families are still abundant.

Taxes are now outrageous for what you get in property and living space. It's a tough call I'm glad I didn't have to make.
Yup it was , doesn't make it liberal.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter View Post
One with high percent of single parent homes, especially boys growing up in homes without fathers.
Wow. First of all, where are you pulling this data from?

Second, how does this make it a lousy school district? How do you know that these kids are not working extra hard because they appreciate their single mother trying to raise them all by themselves?

Old 08-13-2021, 06:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Wow. First of all, where are you pulling this data from?

Second, how does this make it a lousy school district? How do you know that these kids are not working extra hard because they appreciate their single mother trying to raise them all by themselves?
If you believed a child could regularly overcome those obstacles though, you wouldn't be asking for a really good school system.

I'm not judging, but most people who want to send their kid to a really good school system want to take those exact risk factors out of their child's environment.

That said, I don't think there's a lot of that going on in SO. Trust me, the schools are fine. I couldn't afford to live there by any stretch of the imagination, and I have education up the ying yang...

And Maplewood is even wealthier...

Old 08-13-2021, 09:10 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Never down, always up, usually by the legal maximum (2% plus a bunch of sneaky exceptions). Before there was a legal maximum they went up even more.

Old 08-14-2021, 06:23 AM

5,155 posts, read 3,763,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you believed a child could regularly overcome those obstacles though, you wouldn't be asking for a really good school system.

I'm not judging, but most people who want to send their kid to a really good school system want to take those exact risk factors out of their child's environment.

That said, I don't think there's a lot of that going on in SO. Trust me, the schools are fine. I couldn't afford to live there by any stretch of the imagination, and I have education up the ying yang...

And Maplewood is even wealthier...
Maplewood is wealthier than South Orange? Do you even live in NJ? Ever hear of Newstead? UR kidding right?

Old 08-14-2021, 08:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Maplewood is wealthier than South Orange? Do you even live in NJ? Ever hear of Newstead? UR kidding right?
Yes, and I've been to both many times.

You may be right, but it doesn't matter. Both have fine school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey