Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Sayerville? Where is this house? That's crazy. I've lived in quite a few apts over the years in that town never thought too much of it and for my money you're better off in Old Bridge better yet further down Route 9.
Add Matawan to that list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 01:30 PM

5,131 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Weird, it works for me. I believe the address is 3 Frank Avenue, Sayreville.
I know the area well it's right on the So. Amboy border which isn't really desirable unless you want to go bar hopping.

You can do better further down Route 9.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just read through the article, apparently they did $300k worth of renovation to the house. So they had $956k invested into the house.
Deal was even better when you consider sellers likely had a really low mortgage rate.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Am not surprised seller had to lower their asking price. With interest rates where they are something has to give.

Yes, there are still lots of all cash deals, but not everyone has one million or so in ready money lying about spare.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:26 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
I know the area well it's right on the So. Amboy border which isn't really desirable unless you want to go bar hopping.

You can do better further down Route 9.
“Do better†is relative. I drive all over NYC for work. When we were looking, I quickly observed the bottleneck that occurs on 9 less than 1/4 mile from my house. That was the end of looking anywhere past Ernston Rd. I’m not paying $600,000+ to boost my ego while sitting in even more traffic every day.

I don’t play the keeping up the Jones’ game. Never interested me. I saw Walmart and planted my flag.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-21-2024, 02:56 PM

443 posts, read 316,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Need more details as to what constitutes a "good town" for you...
Good schools, low crime, reasonable driving distance to a park and grocery store. Most towns hit that bar in North Jersey suburbs

Old 03-21-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
“Do better†is relative. I drive all over NYC for work. When we were looking, I quickly observed the bottleneck that occurs on 9 less than 1/4 mile from my house. That was the end of looking anywhere past Ernston Rd. I’m not paying $600,000+ to boost my ego while sitting in even more traffic every day.

I don’t play the keeping up the Jones’ game. Never interested me. I saw Walmart and planted my flag.
I did the ride for 30 plus years the extra few minutes in the car was well worth it. Got off 9 at 18 home in a few minutes.

Old 03-21-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I did the ride for 30 plus years the extra few minutes in the car was well worth it. Got off 9 at 18 home in a few minutes.
Worth it how? Because again, that's relative. I hunt in my backyard and can be on Staten Island in minutes regardless of the traffic situation (except for the Outerbridge Crossing). I have everything I wanted.

What are the OBJECTIVE factors I would have realized in the tradeoff for more traffic and higher taxes?

And for the record, it's definitely not an extra few minutes. From Ernston Road to Route 18 during rush hour is easily a half-hour nowadays, oftentimes more. We eat dinner early, heading that way to a restaurant is brutal anytime between 4:30 through 630-ish.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 03-21-2024, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Worth it how? Because again, that's relative. I hunt in my backyard and can be on Staten Island in minutes regardless of the traffic situation (except for the Outerbridge Crossing). I have everything I wanted.

What are the OBJECTIVE factors I would have realized in the tradeoff for more traffic and higher taxes?

And for the record, it's definitely not an extra few minutes. From Ernston Road to Route 18 during rush hour is easily a half-hour nowadays, oftentimes more. We eat dinner early, heading that way to a restaurant is brutal anytime between 4:30 through 630-ish.
Well I guess you must work on Staten Island being close to that was never high on my list. I worked in Newark left work early missed rush and it did take just a few minutes to get to 18 from Ernston Road . It ain't that far. When we bought in Manalapan taxes were not high and the schools were better than Sayreville.

We never considered that area not even Old Bridge because of the school system. Like I said I lived in a few apartments in that area over the course of a few years and never liked it other than it being convenient to jump on the Parkway/TP to get to work. Different strokes if you like it great. But it never had anything to do with keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:03 PM

Quote:
But it never had anything to do with keeping up with the Joneses.
Maybe so, but when you say things like, "You can do better..." you're using language that implies objective facts. I'm very conscious of language that speaks for others. What one considers "better" is rarely the case for anyone, much less everyone.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey