Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 06:13 PM

171 posts, read 622,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Now thats where I start drawing the line. I would have stopped the cop stating that i did not invite him into my house. I have nothing to hide, but they cannot enter unless it is to save someones life (someone is dying, or is getting beat up) or they have a warrant.

FYI, in NJ, cops cant search your car without permission (unless they feel they have solid probable cause to think there is a weapon in the car you can use to harm them...Period!) You have the RIGHT to deny them per NJ constitution and 4th amendment against illegal search and seizure. They cannot look in your trunk without permission and a warrant (which will take several hours) so unless they are willing to arrest you/detain you for whatever it is they stopped you for, they cannot look in your trunk without your permission. If you have a hatchback, suv, or Minivan or if you are driving a commercial vehicle, your SOL. The rule does not apply to you.
How it works in the "real" world...

They detain you for any plausible reason and impound your car. Once they have it, they "inventory" the contents so you can't claim something is missing when you get it back. Nice guys! And if they find something illegal, then you're SOL. Whoopie!!! Saying you wont let them look in your trunk is a definite red flag!!!

As far as your house, if you, your wife or kid or anyone who lives in that house invited them in (or doesn't object and stop them cold at the front door), then they're in legally with no need for a warrant. I always tell people that if a cop is intent on nailing you, all the bull**** in the world is not going to help you talk your way out of it (but hope springs eternal). I would just like to be treated the same way that one cop usually treats another cop; the rules are different for them. That's why you usually only see a cop arrested for DWI when an accident has occurred which makes looking the other way impossible (especially if civilians are involved). I have 15 years police experience, so I know what I'm talking about. And the list goes on...
The secret to a charmed life is to become a "special" or reserve officer with some kind of police ID-makes you almost "one of the boys" with the minor crap, as long as you're friendly and get along with the "regulars". I can tell some great stories...a badge is a great thing as long as you're not "impersonating an officer" and it will be authenticated when they call your PD. But let's not bash cops; judges always let a cop know they're a judge, doctors do it, and anybody who considers himself "special" always gives it a shot and many times it works.
Need more words of wisdom?

Last edited by Augie; 11-28-2008 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey