Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 21,231 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am currently thinking of moving and one of the places on my list is NJ. I heard a lot of good things. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me some good areas to live in , the prices, and why. My criteria is that I would like and area with nice 2 family homes, good schools, a safe place to live, and I dont want to smell anything funny when I get my mail...cuz spposedly some places have a kind of chemical smell and kind of low key...not to much craziness going on but has a good communte to things to do. I am a mom but I am 21 so I really dont want college kids running all over but I do want to be able to go out when I want. As far as income I will be a nurse when I move so I think up there a nurse's income is about 60,000/yr correct me if I am wrong. Thanks so much for anyone that will post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 08:00 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeeks View Post
Hey everyone, I am currently thinking of moving and one of the places on my list is NJ. I heard a lot of good things. I was wondering if anyone could help me out and tell me some good areas to live in , the prices, and why. My criteria is that I would like and area with nice 2 family homes, good schools, a safe place to live, and I dont want to smell anything funny when I get my mail...cuz spposedly some places have a kind of chemical smell and kind of low key...not to much craziness going on but has a good communte to things to do. I am a mom but I am 21 so I really dont want college kids running all over but I do want to be able to go out when I want. As far as income I will be a nurse when I move so I think up there a nurse's income is about 60,000/yr correct me if I am wrong. Thanks so much for anyone that will post!
The ONLY areas of NJ that have any kind of "funny" smell are certain areas off the turnpike as you get closer to Manhattan. These smells are from the industrial plants. That's the source of your "funny" smell. The entire state doesn't stink and isn't a big wasteland.

As far as what towns to live in I think a resident can tell you better than I can. But be wary that some ignorant people on here will tell you to avoid towns with any minority representation like the plague.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,691,705 times
New Jersey is a decent-sized state with a lot of varying areas.

The biggest problem you are going to face is the property taxes in the state. That being said, because of the high real estate prices and the property taxes, 60K isn't enough to cut it in a "nice area" with a house, but you would be able to rent a nice apartment or even buy a townhouse or a condo.

It depends on what you like. South Jersey is more rural. The Jersey Shore is the beach area, but there's traffic problems and such.

Where are you planning to work? Close to NYC, or close to Philly, or you don't know yet?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 PM

370 posts, read 1,370,260 times
are you looking to rent or buy? $60K isn't going be enough to purchase a home unless you have a very large amount of money for a down payment.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
what part of jersey are you looking? Like everyone has said, $60k is gonna be tight if you want a nicer area.. but it can be done if you do your homework.. South jersey nearer to Philly will be cheaper.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Make sure you have the position in hand before you move. If you have one, would you mind posting the city it is located in? that would go a long way in giving people a better sense of what the options may be.

If you are actively seeking a position, I'd suggest looking at some of the health systems that have hospitals connected to them such as Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick which is a Trauma 1 ER and has a number of sub-specialty facilities including peds., NICU, cardiac, cancer, etc. A few others that come to mind are CentraState, and Princeton HealthCare System. Down toward Philadelphia, I would definitely suggest taking a look at Meridian Healthcare, Lourdes Health System, Cooper University Hospital and Thomas Jefferson in Philadelphia.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 AM

thanks for all the replies. My specialty is in post partum care of the mother and baby so the hospital would have to have that unit and I havent lined up a job yet.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
thanks for all the replies. My specialty is in post partum care of the mother and baby so the hospital would have to have that unit and I havent lined up a job yet.
It would be impossible to answer your question without being able to narrow it down to at least a region in NJ. Once you do, you'll get tons of opinions.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:12 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
hackettstown may be a great option for you... the local hospital is well known for it's maternity wing. And you can find 2 family homes in and around the town itself. It does get a funky smell now and again but that's just M&M's making their candy..if you like the smell of chocolate.. it's a great little town. There's also a train station and buses if you want to head into NYC for a day trip. It is a college town but not over-run by college kids. Most commute to and from the school. Check it out..

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM

thanks i will! that sounds great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey