Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:27 AM

139 posts, read 636,516 times

Advertisements

I grew up in NJ and could not wait until I turned 18 to leave. I love the NJ shoreline. The rest of it you can keep. The amount of people, the Turnpike, the parkway, the Pine Barrens, Newark, Rahway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 11:37 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyJRT View Post
I grew up in NJ and could not wait until I turned 18 to leave. I love the NJ shoreline. The rest of it you can keep. The amount of people, the Turnpike, the parkway, the Pine Barrens, Newark, Rahway....
Lol @ 18 yrs old and prior how could you really have enjoyed Jersey anyway? Hell, my fun with this state (and a lot of places) started when I turned 18 and especially 21 when I could actually do things. But yet again...that's just me

Old 03-29-2007, 11:45 AM

That's true. But I have been back there lots over the years. My mom and one of my brother's still live there. I always can't wait to leave. Yes, I did have a good childhood.

Don't forget drinking age wasn't 21 in those days either...

NJ just wasn't the place for me and still isn't. Doesn't make it bad though.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 PM

114 posts, read 209,065 times
Quote:
What let me get this straight...You say you couldn't wait to leave NJ but here I find you on a Jersey forum not to show love but to left people that from what i've read truly love jersey which leads me to believe deep down inside you also love jersey but het it ok it'll be our secret

Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 PM

114 posts, read 209,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirlInTN View Post
I agree with everyone, NJ feels like HOME! I grew up in MA & FL, then moved to NJ for 4 years, then PA, then MI for 3 years, and now TN for 2 years now.

Other than MA, NJ is HOME! The people, the culture, the food. We moved to TN for my husband's job after my parents moved to Memphis and WE STILL want to leave. We're moving back this summer or fall.

The South is glorified by people thinking that inexpensive living=happiness. You have to deal with:

Prejudice from Southerners
Insanely hot humid summers from March to October
Blood thirsty mosquitos from March to October
Lower salaries
High state taxes on ALL ESSENTIALS
Politicians allowing OVERDEVELOPING of areas
Country music ALL THE TIME
Shoddy construction
High crime
The WORST PUBLIC SCHOOLS in the NATION
ZERO funding of public schools via property taxes
High cost of private schools
TORNADOES

So all of you who think the grass is greener in the South, you may be surprised. If you value inexpensive living, then the South is for you. The South is great to visit, just not to live.

If you value FAMILY, GREAT PUBLIC EDUCATION, and varied culture/amenities then NJ is for you.

Hey i'm glad you posted because people are always whining about how expensive living it is in NJ which I will admit it's a little pocket buster HOWEVER what you just stated shows that although housing maybe cheap in the south they make up for it in other ways wouldn't you agree jerseygirlInTN

Old 03-29-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
What let me get this straight...You say you couldn't wait to leave NJ but here I find you on a Jersey forum not to show love but to left people that from what i've read truly love jersey which leads me to believe deep down inside you also love jersey but het it ok it'll be our secret
That'll work.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:16 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,090,708 times
Quote:
That'll work.
LMAOheheh

Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,829 times
When I see bashing of NJ in other forums, I often think it is out of ignorance. This state is so vast, and offers so many different ways to live that many bashers really don't know what they are talking about.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:39 PM

47 posts, read 207,022 times
Default compare NC to NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
Well Jersey can't wait to get one of it's natives back. Come home soon
Noticed you're coming back to NJ and seem quite happy about it. We're thinking of moving down to Asheville, NC and wondered what parts of NC you lived in and how you'd compare it to NJ.

Welcome back!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy175 View Post
Noticed you're coming back to NJ and seem quite happy about it. We're thinking of moving down to Asheville, NC and wondered what parts of NC you lived in and how you'd compare it to NJ.

Welcome back!
I can at least speak for myself. We moved from central NJ to Concord, NC. We're coming back to NJ before year's end. You can look back on my posts and you'll see I stirred up quite a bit. However one post garnered me quite a few rep points and a few positive comments from some locals who have said that unlike 99% of the transplants that I "got it"...

Quote:
I can honestly say that when I move back up to New Jersey, I'm moving back for the Jersey flair that I'm missing (as well as everything else). I wouldn't want it turned upside down by an influx of people from the south. There's nothing against the southerners in that statement, it just means that I would've preferred things to be left the way that they are. It's just that the southerners are losing that much more to the influx. That's where I sympathize with them as much as I do and I can kind of understand their bitterness or resentment towards people from the north. We clearly have our way of life, they have theirs. Theirs is rapidly eroding.
And to not go over everything all over again, you can go back over my posts to see why NC is as overrated as it is, why with all of the growth that it's going downhill as rapidly as it is, why you'll be running smack dab into what you think you're running away from.

And speaking only for myself, you can take the guy out of Jersey but you can't take the Jersey out of the guy. I can't wait to head back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey