Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:55 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,806,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Here's another wrinkle: I heard that former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris was planning to run for the Senate (Democrat)? So does Specter think he can beat Harris for the democratic spot?
Lynn Swann, another football player, lost big to Ed Rendell, which was a shame, because I thought Lynn Swann would have made an excellent governor. But my point is that in Pennsylvania, celebrity did not make the difference in the gubenatorial election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
And while I'm not a Republican, I don't like that the party has been hijaked by the Right. Truthfully, that makes me MORE hesitant to vote for a GOP candidate.
what a joke. you would never vote for a GOP candidate anyway.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Here's another wrinkle: I heard that former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris was planning to run for the Senate (Democrat)? So does Specter think he can beat Harris for the democratic spot?
The difference is the Dems will most likely step in and tell them to lay off Specter...the Reps were not. So he made a move to save his @ss...same way any politician of either party would (Bloomberg, Lieberman???)

It's a game politics...that's all.

And there is no doubt that the Democrats are more of a "center party" right now. The GOP is being hijacked by the right and it's not going to behoove them. Look at people like Mike, they are people that I think were traditionally Republican, but they are now Independents. In fact, I think the "Limaughing" of the GOP will lead to a smaller, more monolithic GOP, BUT it could lead to a rise of the Independent party, which I honestly think, would be the best for the nation as a whole.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:10 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
speaking of sports pros turned politicos, anyone know what Bill Bradley is up to these days ?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:15 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,954,333 times
Yeah where is Bill?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Politicians make 42nd St. hookers look like Mother Teresa

Old 04-29-2009, 03:13 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what a joke. you would never vote for a GOP candidate anyway.
So true.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:03 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
there is no doubt that the Democrats are more of a "center party" right now. The GOP is being hijacked by the right and it's not going to behoove them.
when Specter joined the Democratic Party a few days ago he said his old party had "moved far to the right". It's the truth. All the GOP has is the same low wage, no regulation economic platform, and cultural warfare garbage that's like a gallon of milk out past its sell date.

It's crazy to think it. But Republicans really don't think their ideas are the problem. They figure the GOP just needs a new coat of paint and some shiny doodads -- and Americans will eagerly rediscover how much they loved George W. Bush's policies.

How else to explain the Senate candidates they are trotting out ?

in Missouri, they're re-running Roy Blunt -- Tom DeLay's old right-hand man, and one of the leaders of the old "K St. Project" - where Republicans tried to pressure lobbyists to hire other Republicans.

in Ohio, they are trotting out Rob Portman, who spent years inside the Bush administration as one of the key architects of his economic policies.

and, of course, in NJ -- W's appointee Chris Christie for Governor.

Do this sound like a party open to new ideas and willing to work with Pres. Obama ?

Republicans can say they are offering bipartisanship but, to use a well worn phrase, they're just putting lipstick on a pig.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM

george w. bush isnt a conservative, he is a liberal.

what the republicans need are real conservatives.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
Do this sound like a party open to new ideas and willing to work with Pres. Obama ?

Republicans can say they are offering bipartisanship but, to use a well worn phrase, they're just putting lipstick on a pig.
any republican offering bipartisanship should be shot. working with obama is working towards america's destruction. its their job to be the opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: