Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM

46 posts, read 35,186 times

Advertisements

The Democrats welcomed Sen. Arlen Specter into our party today. He gave one simple reason for switching parties:
  • "Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans."
The extreme right wing lost the American people in 2006 and 2008. Now, they've lost their hold on another moderate voice in the United States Senate.

This one's a game-changer. Specter's move immediately improves the prospects of President Obama's bold change agenda.

But make no mistake - Republicans still have the votes they need to mount a filibuster. Sen. Specter's decision will make our opponents even more desperate.

Norm Coleman will dig in his heels and fight even harder to deny us that filibuster-proof 60th seat.

Even when Coleman finally, finally has no more appeals and is forced to concede defeat, the Republicans will be plotting day and night to defeat our candidates in 2010. They know that beating just one Democratic incumbent would let them filibuster, delay, and deny the President's agenda.

Today is a great day for all of us who want to help bring real, lasting change to this country.

Sincerely,

Robert Menendez

P.S. The Republicans will come after Sen. Specter and every other Democratic incumbent hard in 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:18 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Specter left for one reason, he was going to get trounced in the Pa. primary. Toomey is polling 21 points ahead.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

179 posts, read 706,183 times
Forget R or D; Specter is a political *****- pure and simple. Typical politician. He knew he was going to lose so.........

Old 04-28-2009, 08:09 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older&Wiser View Post
Forget R or D; Specter is a political *****- pure and simple. Typical politician. He knew he was going to lose so.........
+1.

Of course, in his case we can't use the old joke about politicians switching parties.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM

4,178 posts, read 5,056,132 times
fortunately for Progressives, things like this push the Republican Party further to the right extreme -- losing the center to the Democrats.

by reversing the smoke & mirrors that Reagan had done during his time, the Grand Oil Party won't be able to revive themselves from that extreme (without just sounding shrill).

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
You're right JG...and here is the thing.... MOST AMERICANS ARE MODERATES. And while I'm not a Republican, I don't like that the party has been hijaked by the Right. Truthfully, that makes me MORE hesitant to vote for a GOP candidate. There are too many litmus tests and not enough room for individualism - especially for moderates - in the GOP right now.

So say we have a viable candidate for Governor ... would I vote for a GOP. I would I don't like to define myself by party, I define myself by ISSUES. But when the GOP says "This is who we are, take it or leave it." Well, I leave it.

I think much like the Democrats after Carter, the GOP has a major rebuilding process in front of it now. They can use it to their advantage or disadvantage. Should be interesting to watch.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:13 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
fortunately for Progressives, things like this push the Republican Party further to the right extreme -- losing the center to the Democrats.

by reversing the smoke & mirrors that Reagan had done during his time, the Grand Oil Party won't be able to revive themselves from that extreme (without just sounding shrill).
I wouldn't describe the dems as a center party. Nationalization of the auto industry, nationalization of the banks, nationalization of healthcare, $10 trillion debt, gay marriage, pro abortion pretty far left. They really are a small tent party. When was the last time you say a national pro life Dem candidate?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:21 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
What's the big deal? Politicians regardless of party affiliation are very pragmatic people. Don't buy into the nonsense about them having uncompromising ideologies. Politicians who jump over to an opposition party simply do this for selfserving reasons. They will do anything to keep their seats in government. You do whatever you have to do to survive.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 AM

329 posts, read 1,528,700 times
good riddance.
he was one of the Rinos (republican in name only)

Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Here's another wrinkle: I heard that former Pittsburgh Steelers running back Franco Harris was planning to run for the Senate (Democrat)? So does Specter think he can beat Harris for the democratic spot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: