Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times

Advertisements

How to dance a *** (or whatever)

Put in some music, jump around, move around, shimmy around. As long as you're moving, and having fun, call it a ***.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 01:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Even I can do that! But I don't feel quite as good today. The scratchy throat is back, whioch is how the last round started. Hopefully, it won't initiate the same cycle. I think I'll have a shot of Laphroiag, which should help.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
DancingEarth:
We'll do any kind of dance any body wants to do. Everyone gets to choose.

Cathy:
Have a safe trip and a nice visit with family.

Jane:
Thanks for checking the tank for us. It should be okay but want to make sure.

Catman:
Happy to hear you feel better today. Now get ready for that ***.

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas.

yah count me in - I like all kinds of dances. Tonight I was contra dancing ad waltzing. Fun. Celebrating the beginning of longer days again

Old 12-23-2007, 07:50 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
yah count me in - I like all kinds of dances. Tonight I was contra dancing ad waltzing. Fun. Celebrating the beginning of longer days again
Can some one please explain contra dancing? I have seen this term so many times and I have no idea of contra dancing! Thanks!

Old 12-23-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Can some one please explain contra dancing? I have seen this term so many times and I have no idea of contra dancing! Thanks!
Contra is lots of people laughing while attempting to follow the caller's instructions. Here's a a website that explains more:

http://www.sbcds.org/contradance/whatis/#Def0
"Definition 1: an earnest attempt
A caller, usually working with a group of live musicians, guides new and experienced dancers alike through a variety of dances.

A dancer and his or her partner dance a series of figures, or moves, with each other and with another couple for a short time. They then repeat the same figures with another couple, and so on. The figures are similar to those of old-time square dancing. The figures are combined in different ways for each different dance.

The caller teaches each dance before it is actually done to the music. This gives everyone an idea of what to expect so the movements can be easily executed. The caller leads the dances while they are being done to music, so dancers are able to perform each movement to the music. Once the dancers appear to have mastered a particular dance, the caller may stop calling, leaving the dancers to enjoy the movement with music alone.

People of all ages and lifestyles, including children, are welcome. Contra dances are a place where people from many walks of life come together to dance and socialize. Dancers often go out to a restaurant after the dance, have a potluck before or during the dance, or hang out with musicians in jam sessions and song circles."

Although I agree with definition zero:
"The only real answer to the question "What is contra dance?" comes when you try it. Check out Charlie Seelig's Contra Dance Links to find a dance in your neighborhood."

You will find these dances going on all across the US. Last night the caller was from Massachusetts. I did it in Santa Fe and now WA and the people are simiiliar - friendly and love to dance. I took a friend that never did it last night and people were very patient and helped her through the dances. Actually very much like **** and reels. Here's a picture of 1,000 people dancing at the Seattle Folk life festival--talk about lots of energy flying around the room!
Attached Thumbnails
The Old But Young at Heart Club-img_6611.jpg  

Old 12-23-2007, 10:32 AM

OOHHHHHH !
I want to do that.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
OOHHHHHH !
I want to do that.
Try it--you'll like it! You don't need a partner (if you don't have a partner to go with) Traditionally you are suppose to switch partners for every dance. I would love to do some cross country traveling and stop in at contra dances across the country. Is this near you?

http://www.zianet.com/lcludeman/contra/snmmds.html

Last edited by Dancingearth; 12-23-2007 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Try it--you'll like it! You don't need a partner (if you don't have a partner to go with) Traditionally you are suppose to switch partners for every dance. I would love to do some cross country traveling and stop in at contra dances across the country. Is this near you?

Yep, Las Cruces is about a 2 hour drive I believe from Timberon. Sounds fun.
(I'm in Texas now though, until the house sells)

Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
Quote:

That looks like fun. Its about 80 miles from Alamogordo, and add 1 3/4 hrs on to Timberon.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Whew. I was afraid it had something to do with Nicaragua and Oliver North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico