Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times

Advertisements

Let me see, I have a keyboard a friend found for $5 at a garage sale, probably what I am the most comfortable with although it does not have the appeal of a real piano. Like you Steve, feels artificial to me but there is instant success using the book I have teaching chords--just no where to set it right now--my table is covered with a drying clay sculpture and pots (I'm learning to make pots on a wheel.) I took piano lessons in 4th grade for one year and I still remember how to read the right hand. I have a guitar--I love the sound of the acoustic guitar and have taken two series of lessons as an adult. I took violin lessons in 5th grade--teacher recommended trying something else and the family rejoiced. Still love any music with the violin. No violin yet. I have a Native American flute, a harmonica (C), a frog drum (fun with kids) and cymbals from when I tried bellydancing. Hey they make noise so they qualify right? The harmonica and guitar are the most appealing because my favorite music is the blues, bluegrass, and folk music.

Steve--Will you be living in the desert when you move to New Mexico? You could play the drums loud there.

You guys inspired me to unhook the TV from the cable--been wasting too much time on it--so many things to do and not enough time to waste on the drivel on TV. Beat the drums, dance the dance, throw the pots, ya for the old but young at heart!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 09:59 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Sure, dancingearth, finger cymbals qualify! I like the way they sound.

Steve: I hear you. I like a set of acoustic drums most of all. They are just loud! I wish I had an underground house so I could make as much noise as I want and no one else could hear it. It would also be quiet for recording, no traffic noises coming in.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:51 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,585,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Let me see, I have a keyboard a friend found for $5 at a garage sale, probably what I am the most comfortable with although it does not have the appeal of a real piano. Like you Steve, feels artificial to me but there is instant success using the book I have teaching chords--just no where to set it right now--my table is covered with a drying clay sculpture and pots (I'm learning to make pots on a wheel.) I took piano lessons in 4th grade for one year and I still remember how to read the right hand. I have a guitar--I love the sound of the acoustic guitar and have taken two series of lessons as an adult. I took violin lessons in 5th grade--teacher recommended trying something else and the family rejoiced. Still love any music with the violin. No violin yet. I have a Native American flute, a harmonica (C), a frog drum (fun with kids) and cymbals from when I tried bellydancing. Hey they make noise so they qualify right? The harmonica and guitar are the most appealing because my favorite music is the blues, bluegrass, and folk music.

Steve--Will you be living in the desert when you move to New Mexico? You could play the drums loud there.

You guys inspired me to unhook the TV from the cable--been wasting too much time on it--so many things to do and not enough time to waste on the drivel on TV. Beat the drums, dance the dance, throw the pots, ya for the old but young at heart!
IMO, a keyboard is the easiest instrument to learn to play, IMO. OK, so the harmonica is the most portable instrument to play! Yea, sitting around the campfire playing "Home on the Range" on the harmonica; I can hear it now!

Actually, today's keyboards can be powered by batteries or AC/DC converters, so they are truly portable. The output can be sourced into any low/high impedance amplifier device such as a guitar amp or a car stereo and the keyboard can be powered directly from the vehicle electrical supply. My recommendation, go down to your favorite music store and get a used keyboard with multi-outputs and flexible power supplies.

Quote:
cymbals from when I tried bellydancing. Hey they make noise so they qualify right?
That might be a stretch! So, why did you quite belly dancing? Shakira has made a career out of belly dancing! I started learning Spanish just so I could understand her songs! Actually, it was Selena that motivated me to start leaning Spanish about 2 1/2 years ago. I have the DVD of Shakira's concert from 2004 in Rotterdam; HOT! HOT! HOT! My DVD player was smoking!

Does Alamo qualify as the desert as that is my top choice on my punch list of locations!

Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Sure, dancingearth, finger cymbals qualify! I like the way they sound.

Steve: I hear you. I like a set of acoustic drums most of all. They are just loud! I wish I had an underground house so I could make as much noise as I want and no one else could hear it. It would also be quiet for recording, no traffic noises coming in.
Take a ride down to your favorite music store and check out all the sticks that are available for acoustic drums. There are sticks available that have the feel of a normal stick but play like brushes to keep the neighbors happy! Check it out!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
I have a regular band flute, a wooden recorder, an Indian wooden flute, and a keyboard. ALL of them are painful to play because of arthritis in my fingers.

But on the other hand, playing through the pain is good therapy and maybe will allow me some mobility for a longer time than if I just said the heck with it and sat around watching TV all the time.

Sounds like we could have a jam session in NM if we all ever got together.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,401,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Yea, sitting around the campfire playing "Home on the Range" on the harmonica; I can hear it now!

So, why did you quite belly dancing? Shakira has made a career out of belly dancing! I started learning Spanish just so I could understand her songs! Actually, it was Selena that motivated me to start leaning Spanish about 2 1/2 years ago. I have the DVD of Shakira's concert from 2004 in Rotterdam; HOT! HOT! HOT! My DVD player was smoking!

Does Alamo qualify as the desert as that is my top choice on my punch list of locations!

Change that Home on the Range to When the Saints Go Marching In

hahaha - no one would pay to see me bellydance. I quit belly dancing when I left Santa Fe and started college. Tried again this year but I hurt my achilles tendon overdoing it on a walk two years ago (I forgot I'm not so young anymore and might need to start with less than a 4 mile walk after bicycling all summer.) Couldn't take being on my toes with the ankles hurting. Since I love to dance I will begin some form of dance lessons again after they kick me out of college because I have as many credits as I can get as an undergraduate (spring) and/or I get a job and move back to NM. I took C&W two step lessons and danced for years in NM and miss it.

I've taken Spanish over the years and have many college credits in it and still can't speak it. I did understood when someone asked a Spanish speaker if she had met me and she said "many times" in Spanish. Still remember some words--something else to pick up again in NM.

I pulled out my Spanish lullaby book--thought it would motivate me to play my guitar--play a song for my granddaughter and practice Spanish. Now where is the guitar and tuner? Actually keyboard too because I can play the song and know how it is suppose to sound. I like classical Spanish guitar--Segovia and I have a Shakira cd that is fun.

I never made it to Alamo. Is it desert? I assumed it was since it is near White Sands.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Change that Home on the Range to When the Saints Go Marching In

hahaha - no one would pay to see me bellydance. I quit belly dancing when I left Santa Fe and started college. Tried again this year but I hurt my achilles tendon overdoing it on a walk two years ago (I forgot I'm not so young anymore and might need to start with less than a 4 mile walk after bicycling all summer.) Couldn't take being on my toes with the ankles hurting. Since I love to dance I will begin some form of dance lessons again after they kick me out of college because I have as many credits as I can get as an undergraduate (spring) and/or I get a job and move back to NM. I took C&W two step lessons and danced for years in NM and miss it.

I've taken Spanish over the years and have many college credits in it and still can't speak it. I did understood when someone asked a Spanish speaker if she had met me and she said "many times" in Spanish. Still remember some words--something else to pick up again in NM.

I pulled out my Spanish lullaby book--thought it would motivate me to play my guitar--play a song for my granddaughter and practice Spanish. Now where is the guitar and tuner? Actually keyboard too because I can play the song and know how it is suppose to sound. I like classical Spanish guitar--Segovia and I have a Shakira cd that is fun.

I never made it to Alamo. Is it desert? I assumed it was since it is near White Sands.
Oh yea, Alamo is definitely in the dessert! I was under the impression that belly dancing is considered a good aerobic exercise? You know, there are support wraps available to strengthen weak muscles? Who pays to see belly dancing? You're dancing for your own pleasure and your husband's and/or boyfriend's pleasure and enjoyment! Watching Shakira belly dance sure gets my mind thinking about other situations other than my own problems!

Yo puedo leer y escribir el Espanol bien, pero digo el Espanol muy mal! Es necesario para la inmersion con personas de hablar Espanola a fin de que una persona que no dice el Espanol tenga la capacidad de aprender el Espanol muy rapidamente! I write Spanish with an English keyboard so there is no accent marks or tildes like the special "n" with the tilde. Besides, I only know a handful of words with the accenting and special letters!

Quote:
Since I love to dance I will begin some form of dance lessons again after they kick me out of college because I have as many credits as I can get as an undergraduate (spring) and/or I get a job and move back to NM.
No time like today to begin what you plan to do tomorrow! I graduated in 1977 (I was still using clay tablets!) with 140 credits for a BS in Business and Communications. But that was a result of attending several colleges for my total credit transcript. Then I spent 12 years driving long haul over-the-road as an owner-operator for United Van Lines! Life sure is funny!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,335,694 times
I have my african drums I use in drumming circles and I like to bellydance too.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I have my african drums I use in drumming circles and I like to bellydance too.
What are drumming circles? And two thumbs up for belly dancing! IMO, it is some of the sexiest movements that a woman can perform with her clothes on! Also IMO, I'm a firm believer that a women is most sexiest with some clothing on than being naked, IMO!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,024,515 times
Hey Steve!

You can make the Spanish punctuation marks with a regular keyboard.

ñ = Alt and 164 (hit together)

í = Alt and 161

é = Alt and 130

¿ = Alt and 168

¡ = Alt and 173

ú = Alt and 163

ó = Alt and 162

É = Alt and 144

á = Alt and 160

Ñ = Alt and 165
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico