Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 02:05 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times

Advertisements

what about the people who are not illegals but recieve government assistance,who have and claim 3 kids but only takes care of 2,who get $400 a month in food stamps,who get helped out with half their rent and make 8-9 dollars an hour then they have enough money left over from their paychecks cause hardly no taxes are takin' out plus they get those fat refund checks in every year and drive nice cars on expensive rims,52" flat screen tv,loads of dvd's,all sorts of game consoles,and stuff that I cant afford to buy.

They know how to work our system and eat it up just as much as the next person.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
DesertSun - Do you really believe the "poor people are living the high life on welfare" myth?

Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
With energy prices heading up and up, I would expect these feedlot operators to install manure digesters (put a big plastic tarp over the manure pit) to capture the methane generated by decomposition and create excellent fertilizer. This anaerobic process also eliminates most of the foul smell.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,610,776 times
Hey, can we get one of them manure digester things installed up here in Santa Fe? I think if we place it over the Roundhouse it might help things.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:20 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltoncity View Post
I always hear about illegal immigrants taking money from Americans.
The illegals take jobs away from the bottom tier of the labor force by being willing to work for less than legal minimum wages. How can a legal resident working for minimum wages compete with somebody who will work for less?

Just a few general comments:

As far as agriculture stinking. Lol. Citified people have their precious noses always protected living inside an artificial environment. It's just manure. It smells a little strong if you're not used to it but you acclimatize fairly quickly and it just smells like a farm. Now chicken factories, those are really bad!

Illegal immigration has really ruined California. I hope the same won't happen to NM. I'm not sure one way or another as I read this thread.

I'm considering moving to NM, perhaps SF.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,022,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
DesertSun - Do you really believe the "poor people are living the high life on welfare" myth?

YES!!! the thread I posted was about a relative, oh yeah he has a $700 dollar cell phone also,but I've seen this my whole life with people I've hung around with.

We drove by the low income aprtments the other day and my girlfriend said, "for not making alot of money they sure do drive nice cars".

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM

203 posts, read 714,090 times
While undocumented workers do fill a lot of bottom wage tier jobs, they also fill fairly good paying jobs performed under harsh conditions.

Golden State Fencing, a company building sections of Federal border barriers east of San Diego, was busted earlier this year for using illegal labor. Though the company paid entry level worker about $3,000/month, they claim they were unable to find sufficient numbers of legal laborers willing to dig holes, pour concrete and weld steel fencing out in the desert sticks.

During preliminary hearings, the Army Corps of Engineers filed a brief defending Golden State, stating the company was compelled to use illegals to meet contractual deadlines.

This ironic situation was just too predictable....

Old 06-06-2008, 11:41 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
Most of the posters responding did not address the question. Take a trip to UNMH emergency room tonight. Read the UNMH budget, and see for yourself how much indigent care costs. Talk to any teacher dealing with illegal Mexican students. Read the report on illegals and uninsured vehicles. Study for yourself the impact of illegals and crime.

To suggest that there is no impact is incorrect. In every argument made for illegals, nobody has ever disputed the facts I list above. They justify the "rights" of illegals by arguing that they pay more than they take, can't be blamed for trying to earn a living, or are hard working, etc. Before pointing the race finger, better do your research on my family history.

Chavez and Richardson should be tried for treason. Both blatantly violate the Constitution. Sickening!

Do a little google research. Look for the reports on the impact of education in areas where illegals invade. In TN, for example, as the illegals moved in, the entire educational system suffered. GA and MA suffered similar fate. There is a cost to illegal immigration. I will not debate the positive aspects of criminal behavior, so save your rants for somebody else.
Here in Atlanta we have lots of illegal Mexicans also. In fact, our city hospital, Grady, is in severe financial trouble and cutting services, partially because of medical care for them. The hospital has an outpatient dialysis unit that costs $1,000,000 a year to operate and its patients are primarily illegal Mexicans. The hosp. budget committee decided to shut the unit down and relocate its (legal?) patients to other facilities. Of course, all hell broke loose and it has been reopened for the Mexicans...

As long as our government does nothing, we will all be inundated. I'm planning on taking more Spanish lessons.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Here are a few facts about Agriculture work: Most farm jobs and all range/ livestock production jobs are exempt from the Federal minimum wage.

An agricultural employer never has to pay overtime and is exempt from paying minimum wage if, during any quarter of the previous year, he utilized 500 or less "man-days" of hired labor. 500 man days equals 6 hands working 83 days out of 91 or 92 in a quarter. Pickers, paid piece-rate, are always exempt.

Median income for full-time, non-seasonal, hired farm/ranch hands is about $15,000 per year. (So 50% make less than that per year).

The prices we are willing to pay for groceries helps determine who works to produce them.
I read that many farm workers do not have to be illegal - it is the farmers who simply do not want to hassle with the paperwork, etc that hire them anyway.

Last edited by trappedinNM; 06-06-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
While undocumented workers do fill a lot of bottom wage tier jobs, they also fill fairly good paying jobs performed under harsh conditions.

Golden State Fencing, a company building sections of Federal border barriers east of San Diego, was busted earlier this year for using illegal labor. Though the company paid entry level worker about $3,000/month, they claim they were unable to find sufficient numbers of legal laborers willing to dig holes, pour concrete and weld steel fencing out in the desert sticks.

During preliminary hearings, the Army Corps of Engineers filed a brief defending Golden State, stating the company was compelled to use illegals to meet contractual deadlines.

This ironic situation was just too predictable....
BS - the wages are not the issue. It is the payroll taxes and WC expense and insurance. At the macro level, it is wealth redistribution.

Fringe benefits (excluding health insurance or vacation) can run 15% of payroll for a safe low-risk company. This includes FICA, FUTA, SUTA, WC, etc. High risk companies with a few claims can easily pay 20%+. I pay you $8 an hour, but I have to pay another $1.20+ in benefits, plus hire an accountant to keep me current with the IRS, etc. Or I just pay some illegal $9 an hour cash, and if he gets hurt, f-him because he is illegal anyway. Illegal immigration is exploitation. When that guy gets hurt, he shows up at the emergency room and says " I tripped". He does not rat out the farmer. The farmer has just passed the cost to the state, which they recover by raising my property taxes. If the farmer had to pick up the cost, it would be passed to the consumer in the form of higher food prices. Since the govt. wants to keep food prices low, they turn their head. Its just another way to tax the wealthier population.

They redistribute wealth through these policies. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I have worked on govt. budgets and these types of scenarios are factored into policy making.

The irony is that farm workers do not have to be hired illegal, and I understand that in some areas, many are not.

The other scenario is illegals working under false SSN's. The govt. is aware that millions of workers use phony documents. In these cases, the company has hired the worker "legally", pays the payroll tax (FICA), but the govt. knows they will never have to pay it back. For example, congress quizzed the SSA on why they did not do anything about the thousands of dead taxpayers still working. They claimed they did not have the resources to investigate. Somebody at a higher level told them not to do anything is my guess. Likewise, there are billions of unclaimed tax refunds sitting in the treasury. An illegal uses false id, has not only FICA, but federal tax withheld. They never file a tax return because they are illegal. The govt. sits on the money for a few years, and then it reverts to the treasury.

I read a case whereby a taxpayer filed his tax return. The IRS sent him a letter telling him he owed more. He could not figure out where they got their numbers. Somebody else used his SSN, earned about $30k, and had minimal federal withholdings. The taxpayer was a high wage guy, so the marginal rate on the extra $30K was taxed at a high rate, resulting in a liability. He disputed the earnings, and that is when he discovered the identity fraud. He spent thousands of his own clearing his name, his SSA file, etc. Despite having the employers name, the employees name, etc., the govt. refused to prosecute, as they did not have the resources.

End rant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico