Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,501 times

Advertisements

Excuse me, but you seem to have linked to a site which sells protection against such theft. Do you believe the information there is totally factual and/or unbiased?? I don't.

Also, do you expect anyone to believe the comment about 'virtually every illegal alien' turning to identity theft?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Thanks for the fill in Tecpatl, I was hoping someone would. I seem to recall a 50 year plus lawsuit trying to get back wages for Braceros.... another odd tidbit of this story, obliquely tied to the Bracero Program: the Mexican Air Force (not to be confused w/Flaco Jimenez' Free Mexican Air Force) 201st Tactical Fighter Squadron fought with US forces in the Philipines in 1944-45. Known as the Aztec Eagles, they flew several hundred ground support missions, losing 5 pilots in combat. Additionally, Mexican forces provided anti-submarine forces in the Gulf of Mexico, sinking at least one U-Boat.
There are many Mexican citizens (mostly holding green cards) in the US military, and lots are serving in Iraq, defending the right of nativist nitwits to call them Beaners, etc. Probably more than a few of those "anchor babies" serving over there as well.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:54 PM

203 posts, read 715,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Every country should, if it wishes ,allow limited immigration.
No country can go on with massive & unlimited illegal immigration.
The sovereignty of this nation is seriously threatened....
In the US, sovereignty is theoretically held by "the people" and is exercised on their behalf by elected governments. A Sovereign can be defined as a person or group possessing full control over its own affairs within a territorial or geographical area or limit.

The current immigration debate centers on what limits should be set on immigration and on whether to legally assimilate large numbers of those currently residing here illegally. The sovereign people of the US have yet to establish a consensus on these issues, so government's exercise of sovereignty reflects the popular indecision.

Otherwise, precisely how do undocumented workers interfere with and thus threaten our national sovereignty and its execution?

Reminder: every terrorist attack in the US since World War II has been committed by legal aliens or native born citizens of the US.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,423,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
. The sovereign people of the US have yet to establish a consensus on these issues, so government's exercise of sovereignty reflects the popular indecision.

Otherwise, precisely how do undocumented workers interfere with and thus threaten our national sovereignty and its execution?

Reminder: every terrorist attack in the US since World War II has been committed by legal aliens or native born citizens of the US.
Sorry but I must state IMO, that these statements are pure hogwash.
Poll after poll show that americans are fed up with illegal immigration and masses that refuse to assimilate. Precisely such conditions destabilize countries. Any "indecision" on the issue is heard from pro-ethnic groups spreading "reconquesta" beliefs that are fed to the uneducated masses of mexico by its government through such groups.
Many call it an invasion.
As a side note, the border needs to be closed because not only crime but drugs pour through.
If only some 3% of truck trailers are checked through our southern border, just imagine what can sneak through
Remember, many jailed criminals are illegals. Not all pick crops and raise families. Many mexican and central american nationals are in many gangs and commit crimes.

There is nothing wrong with immigrating here if it was done legally, a line is formed, laws are followed and one common and uniting language is spoken

Last edited by WildWestDude; 06-11-2008 at 08:10 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 PM

382 posts, read 1,230,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsan View Post
Excuse me, but you seem to have linked to a site which sells protection against such theft. Do you believe the information there is totally factual and/or unbiased?? I don't.

Also, do you expect anyone to believe the comment about 'virtually every illegal alien' turning to identity theft?
I published numerous links, including Congressional testimony. Nobody can dispute the extent or impact of illegals committing identity fraud. The SSA admits that there are millions of duplicate numbers in their system that are "...outside the bounds of normal and reasonable...".

Peace.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:54 PM

382 posts, read 1,230,047 times
1. I am very familiar with the Bracero program. My education included an Econ degree. We studied the the program specifically, along with its impact and how it impacted and manipulated food prices.

2. The inflation-adjusted price of food is irrelevant. I already stated that their was collusion within the government to manipulate American food prices lower. In other words, I agree that the govt. is artificially keeping the price of food low in the interest of national security (or something).

3. "Other nations pay more for food as a percentage.." Question: Are they free democracys? There is a very detailed report from the WHO that implicates corrupt governments, dictators, and food distribution programs as the largest contributors to famine. The US government can fine you for feeding wild animals in Yellowstone as it upsets the balance of nature. Yet we have no issue in shipping food to areas that simply cannot support the indigineous population. On the surface it seems like a harsh analogy, and I do not advocate letting innocent people starve. On the other hand, it makes no sense to ship food to areas of sub-sahara Africa that simply would not be inhabitable otherwise. How ironic that the WHO implicates programs to help starving people as a potential cause of their starvation. One notable fact: there is not a global food shortage. There is a global distribution problem.

4. Small farms are prospering. The irony of this is too great to articulate. I am aware of the financial concepts at work. Google "price floors and price ceilings" when you have a spare moment. That is what is really at work in the farming industry. It is price manipulation via the manipulation of labor costs outside the normal market bounds.

5. This thread was about the impact of illegals. My comments pertaining to identity fraud cannot be disputed.

6. I think some people just like to argue for the sake of arguing.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Poll after poll show that americans are fed up with illegal immigration and masses that refuse to assimilate. Precisely such conditions destabilize countries. Any "indecision" on the issue is heard from pro-ethnic groups spreading "reconquesta" beliefs that are fed to the uneducated masses of mexico by its government through such groups.
As a side note, the border needs to be closed because not only crime but drugs pour through.
If only some 3% of truck trailers are checked through our southern border, just imagine what can sneak through
Remember, many jailed criminals are illegals. Not all pick crops and raise families. Many mexican and central american nationals are in many gangs and commit crimes.

There is nothing wrong with immigrating here if it was done legally, a line is formed, laws are followed and one common and uniting language is spoken
Polls show most Americans don't want jobs transferred to China, yet Wal-Mart is the country's top retailer.

Trucks carrying drugs usually come through legal check points. As you note, only 3% are inspected. Where the border has been fenced and walled in S. California, drug cartels have built complex, multi-million dollar tunnel networks crossing under the border fences. Given the number who have been arrested, there are likely quite a few US Customs officers on the drug cartel's payroll. Sealing the border against illegal immigrants is unlikely to affect the illicit drug trade one bit.

When I wrote we were "addicted" to the use of undocumented labor, I was intentionally evoking the illicit drug economy. No amount of rhetoric, fence or enforcement will be effective unless we make the "trade" economically unattractive. After 25 years, the net effects of the "War on Drugs" have been to shift the center of the cocaine trade from Colombia to Northern Mexico and to make the stuff cheaper than ever.

For the last 18 years, we've had the lowest unemployment rates in history (in the 1950s and 60s, 6% unemp rate was considered a dangerously low level) without significant rises in wages or inflation. This is partly due to an influx of labor, both legal and illegal, filling the less desirable jobs, keeping those wages low.

Popular consensus means more than what polls say, it includes consumer choices, hiring practices of employers, and the priorities we place on how tax dollars are spent.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,619,462 times
I think our current president has summed it up best:

"Our border patrol and immigration agents are doing a fine job, but we still have a problem, ... Too many illegal immigrants are coming in, and we're capturing many more non-Mexican illegal immigrants than we can send home.”

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,190,706 times
Quote:
jsc's comments are anything but hogwash. Citing "poll after poll" as if that's support for one's point of view might be, however.
As jsc stated, "poll after poll" of Americans will come down strongly in favor of NOT EXPORTING JOBS...but the WalMart parking lot is full of bargain-hunting Americans.
WalMart sent 27 Billion greenbacks to China in 2006, accounting for over 10% of our enormous trade deficit with that country, while competing US manufacturers close down day after day, throwing thousands of Walmart shoppers out of work. Does "poll after poll" or behavior tell the truth?
The non-assimilation canard is, IMO, more hogwash. All immigrant groups, especially non-English speakers, have tended to keep together in physical or relationship communities for protection, mutual assistance, and general comfort in what may be perceived as a hostile environment in the new homeland. This is nothing new. During the early 1900's there were dozens of Eastern-European language newspapers published in the Chicago area alone, with subscribers all over the USA. Ever hear of a Chinatown, Germantown, Japantown, Poletown, Little Italy, etc....on and on??
I grew up (1950s/60s) in a rural area where the Catholic Church conducted services in Polish and German. Now they do it in Spanish and are happy to do so in order to attract and better serve members of their community.
It's always been part of the immigration story of this country, and immigrant generations always move toward English as a first language, though there is, I believe, an increasing belief that a speaking a second language is desireable and should be encouraged.
Re-Conquista? Hee-hee....that hog is gettin' tired of being washed.
Who, pray tell, believes in this? You'll find far more people who believe in flying saucers and vampires.
In 26+ years of traveling and working in Mexico I've never met anyone who actually thought Mexico was going to regain territory lost to American invasion. I've never seen any evidence in Mexican media that the government or anyone else (save some fringe lunatics in Mex. and the US.) is spreading that nonsense. Nobody but nobody takes it seriously, except some anti-immigrant groups in the US who love to use it to scare people.

That's not to say there isn't residual resentment about the Mexican War and our invasion, but, hey, it was a long time ago. Lots of Americans still resent Pearl Harbor, Bataan Death March, the Holocaust and Malmedy massacre, but we buy zillions of dollars of Japanese & German products and see them as friends and allies.
I guess you don't drink Absolut, eh?
Drugs and, more importantly, drug dollars, have a corrupting influence on both sides of the border. If you think a border fence or some similar contraption is going to stop that trade, you've been smoking something funny yer' ownself. We spend over 40 Billion a year(2005) in The War on Drugs, enforcing laws, aiding allies and incarcerating tens of thousands of drug law offenders. How's it going?
If "the border needs to be closed" means sealing the US-Mexican border I'd like an explanation of how we're going to sell the 136 BILLION dollars worth of US goods that went to Mexico in 2007, and how we'd do without the 1.7 million barrels of crude oil a day that we buy from them, among other things.
In 2003 there were over 4 million truck crossings into the US from Mexico....inspecting 3 % is an accomplishment, given the size and funding of the agencies tasked with this. Actually far more than that are inspected in some way, via x-ray, animal and high-tech "smell tests" and other ways, but poking thru everything would bring border trade (and our economy) to a halt, or a crawl, at best.
Law enforcement is not particularly successful at battling gangs, and never has been (though I wish them luck). This has gone on for a very long time.
I'm all for legal immigration, and certainly would prefer an orderly process for entry into the US whether permanently or for temporary work. But it's never been an orderly process, and the American public, thru it's govenment, hasn't gotten very far in making it so.
In this case, too, behavior tells the truth, not "poll after poll" or ALIPAC talking points.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:25 PM

I should make a disclosure: I am the offspring of an illegal immigrant. My grandfather was a Glaswegian (native of Glasgow, Scotland) who sailed in the British Merchant Marine. He smelled war on the wind and knew his role would be running the N. Atlantic gantlet. So he brought grandma, my 9 year old pop and his sister along on a haul to New York City. They landed in June 1939 without docs and without going through customs. Grandpa wanted his family away from hostilities and he knew he'd see them as much in NYC as in Glasgow or Liverpool. But they wound up living in a Jewish district in the Bronx.

Talk about assimilating language.... you ain't heard an accent until you hear a man speak English peppered with Yiddish in a Bronx/Glasgow brogue. Can't decide what to call it "Scoddish"? "YidWeege"? "Burrdootch"? or "Sciddish"?

(Dad served 12 years in the US Navy to earn his citizenship)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico