Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 10:37 PM

299 posts, read 1,154,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
There is nothing wrong with immigrating here if it was done legally, a line is formed, laws are followed and one common and uniting language is spoken
Yes, I agree and when done legally immigration is a good thing.

Secure our boarders, absolutely as our great nation is being invaded and not just by the illegal immigrants, but, rather by CRIMINALS and I'm sure TERRIORIST.

jOE

Old 06-14-2008, 12:09 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
jsc's comments are anything but hogwash. Citing "poll after poll" as if that's support for one's point of view might be, however.
As jsc stated, "poll after poll" of Americans will come down strongly in favor of NOT EXPORTING JOBS...but the WalMart parking lot is full of bargain-hunting Americans.
WalMart sent 27 Billion greenbacks to China in 2006, accounting for over 10% of our enormous trade deficit with that country, while competing US manufacturers close down day after day, throwing thousands of Walmart shoppers out of work. Does "poll after poll" or behavior tell the truth?
The non-assimilation canard is, IMO, more hogwash. All immigrant groups, especially non-English speakers, have tended to keep together in physical or relationship communities for protection, mutual assistance, and general comfort in what may be perceived as a hostile environment in the new homeland. This is nothing new. During the early 1900's there were dozens of Eastern-European language newspapers published in the Chicago area alone, with subscribers all over the USA. Ever hear of a Chinatown, Germantown, Japantown, Poletown, Little Italy, etc....on and on??
I grew up (1950s/60s) in a rural area where the Catholic Church conducted services in Polish and German. Now they do it in Spanish and are happy to do so in order to attract and better serve members of their community.
It's always been part of the immigration story of this country, and immigrant generations always move toward English as a first language, though there is, I believe, an increasing belief that a speaking a second language is desireable and should be encouraged.
Re-Conquista? Hee-hee....that hog is gettin' tired of being washed.
Who, pray tell, believes in this? You'll find far more people who believe in flying saucers and vampires.
In 26+ years of traveling and working in Mexico I've never met anyone who actually thought Mexico was going to regain territory lost to American invasion. I've never seen any evidence in Mexican media that the government or anyone else (save some fringe lunatics in Mex. and the US.) is spreading that nonsense. Nobody but nobody takes it seriously, except some anti-immigrant groups in the US who love to use it to scare people.

That's not to say there isn't residual resentment about the Mexican War and our invasion, but, hey, it was a long time ago. Lots of Americans still resent Pearl Harbor, Bataan Death March, the Holocaust and Malmedy massacre, but we buy zillions of dollars of Japanese & German products and see them as friends and allies.
I guess you don't drink Absolut, eh?
Drugs and, more importantly, drug dollars, have a corrupting influence on both sides of the border. If you think a border fence or some similar contraption is going to stop that trade, you've been smoking something funny yer' ownself. We spend over 40 Billion a year(2005) in The War on Drugs, enforcing laws, aiding allies and incarcerating tens of thousands of drug law offenders. How's it going?
If "the border needs to be closed" means sealing the US-Mexican border I'd like an explanation of how we're going to sell the 136 BILLION dollars worth of US goods that went to Mexico in 2007, and how we'd do without the 1.7 million barrels of crude oil a day that we buy from them, among other things.
In 2003 there were over 4 million truck crossings into the US from Mexico....inspecting 3 % is an accomplishment, given the size and funding of the agencies tasked with this. Actually far more than that are inspected in some way, via x-ray, animal and high-tech "smell tests" and other ways, but poking thru everything would bring border trade (and our economy) to a halt, or a crawl, at best.
Law enforcement is not particularly successful at battling gangs, and never has been (though I wish them luck). This has gone on for a very long time.
I'm all for legal immigration, and certainly would prefer an orderly process for entry into the US whether permanently or for temporary work. But it's never been an orderly process, and the American public, thru it's govenment, hasn't gotten very far in making it so.
In this case, too, behavior tells the truth, not "poll after poll" or ALIPAC talking points.
Another even longer hogwash statement
You 'll be surprized how many pro-ethnic latino groups there are and what they believe in.
It is not all about trade. We're talking about our soveignenty.
Let a few million illegals in and you see how much more serious the problem will be. Not an invasion? Then what is it? I get it , these people are only here to enjoy the scenery, while multiplying like rabbits and draining our resources and while giving only a small % of what they take.
Wake up and smell the coffee!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,339 times
WildWestDude " while multiplying like rabbits and draining our resources and while giving only a small % of what they take. Wake up and smell the coffee! "

If this is an example of the coffee you're brewing, WWD, it smells pretty bad. Kinda like hogwash, or worse. Does this apply to all Catholics, or just the brown Spanish speaking ones?
And, if you want to throw 2 dollar words around, here's a tip: learn to spell them or use spell-check. It helps with the illusion of veracity. sovereignty

Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
WildWestDude " while multiplying like rabbits and draining our resources and while giving only a small % of what they take. Wake up and smell the coffee! "

If this is an example of the coffee you're brewing, WWD, it smells pretty bad. Kinda like hogwash, or worse. Does this apply to all Catholics, or just the brown Spanish speaking ones?
And, if you want to throw 2 dollar words around, here's a tip: learn to spell them or use spell-check. It helps with the illusion of veracity. sovereignty
This has nothing to do with religion and leave the cheap shots aside Mr. Teacher.
My points are valid and backed by the american public

Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
This has nothing to do with religion and leave the cheap shots aside Mr. Teacher.
My points are valid and backed by the american public
Mr Teacher? lol
If your " breeding like rabbits" point doesn't refer to birth control restrictions of devout Catholic immigrants, what, exactly, DOES it refer to? And what about characterizing human beings as animals? Not that that doesn't have a long and colorful history....a useful technique, I guess.
I'll admit to sometimes thinking of someone as an animal also, mea culpa....but I usually think of jackass...not rabbit.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:19 PM

Back on Topic: Las Cruces and Dona Ana County have unemployment rates at historic lows and wages are rising as a result...so I don't think immigrant labor is keeping people from getting jobs hereabouts.
On the other hand, a plumbing contractor I know thinks that sometimes his competitors get jobs by lower bids because they use illegal labor.
The roofer who re-did my house after last years freak hailstorm in Mesilla told me he sometimes hired undocumented people, especially when he was short of help, but for the most part he'd rather have legal residents because they were going to be long term employees and that's what he preferred. I thought to ask him about this at the time because I'd had people tell me that almost all roofing workers were illegal.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Mr Teacher? lol
If your " breeding like rabbits" point doesn't refer to birth control restrictions of devout Catholic immigrants, what, exactly, DOES it refer to? And what about characterizing human beings as animals? Not that that doesn't have a long and colorful history....a useful technique, I guess.
I'll admit to sometimes thinking of someone as an animal also, mea culpa....but I usually think of jackass...not rabbit.
"Mea culpa"? I guess its you this time that needs to look up an english dictionary.
"Multiplying like rabbits" is a figure of speech in the english language and it is not meant to be negative. Guess you need a lesson in american culture also. Moreover, this is not about religion. You can twist things around to suit your way, so go ahead and think what you want and we will let our readers form their own opinion about jackasses or anything else. End of story.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,036,595 times
Please debate the topic without making cheap shots at each other, folks.

I don't want to start deleting posts or making the decision to close the thread, which contains some really good discussion -- but I will if the personal jabs continue.

Thanks for your cooperation.

~Towanda

Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 PM

382 posts, read 1,228,549 times
Every point I have made has been bypassed and ignored in favor of emotional rhetoric. This is the usual strategy of the left.

The facts are clear: illegal immigration costs money - more money than illegals contribute. Illegals commit a dissproportionate share of crime. Illegals have clogged the education system to the point of failure in some areas. Hospitals are closing across the nation due to indigent health care costs to illegals. Illegals commit identity fraud at a higher rate than citizens. All of these are facts. Anybody that doubts these facts should take a quick trip to either the GAO or Congressional archives and do a bit of searching.

Refute these facts and you might at least earn some respect from me. Anything else is Pee Wee logic: "I know you are but what am I."

Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM

^^^^^^
+1, Agree, could not have said it better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico