Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM

717 posts, read 1,956,206 times

Advertisements

I wonder if you could have said it as well??? But yes, I'll concede illegals are a growing problem in many areas, Trapped. Nevertheless, draconian solutions such as mass roundups, deportations and the like are silly chest puffing exercises that have no basis in reality. We must seek middle ground. Neither political party offers long term solutions: republicans want cheap, nearly slave labor without legal recourse and democrats are pandering for their rapidly increasing votes. Both essentially are contributing to the mounting logistical problems of accomodating these masses. Besides Lou Dobbs, few talking heads make much sense of it all. It is past time for a new, centrist political party with the stones to actually attempt honesty! At the present time America is sadly slipping towards the third world. Soon, the American middle class will only be a memory and a footnote in history.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:35 PM

203 posts, read 714,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
Every point I have made has been bypassed and ignored in favor of emotional rhetoric. This is the usual strategy of the left.

The facts are clear: illegal immigration costs money - more money than illegals contribute. Illegals commit a dissproportionate share of crime. Illegals have clogged the education system to the point of failure in some areas. Hospitals are closing across the nation due to indigent health care costs to illegals. Illegals commit identity fraud at a higher rate than citizens. All of these are facts. Anybody that doubts these facts should take a quick trip to either the GAO or Congressional archives and do a bit of searching.

Refute these facts and you might at least earn some respect from me. Anything else is Pee Wee logic: "I know you are but what am I."
Once again, please read my posts carefully. While your information is based in facts, they are not the only facts pertinent to this issue.

In my posts I point out a few ways we have become economically dependent on undoc'd workers and how these dependencies divert and subvert the political will necessary to effectively address the issue. I will point out that the costs you cite are mostly borne by state and local governments while the benefits are mostly reaped by private sector businesses.

Currently, 15% of illegal immigrants enter via Canada or a seaport. A fence might greatly reduce southern border land crossings, but we got an awful lot of southern coastline and a virtually unchecked northern border. Without addressing the core demand for illegal labor, we will only divert routes of entry of illegal immigration.

Undocumented workers aren't drawn here for "coddling by the Left", they come for the 8.5 million jobs provided them by the likes of ConAgra, meat packing companies, hotel chains, restaurant chains, construction and development companies and so on.

This issue revolves around immigration laws, domestic employment rates, domestic economic growth, consumer demands and wage/inflation pressures. These facts are not pro/con or left/right.

A brain tumor may give you headaches. You can complain angrily about the headaches and argue passionately whether tylenol or advil is the best remedy for the headaches- meanwhile, you still have the tumor.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:52 PM

104 posts, read 376,883 times
Let's see, how do Mexican illegals effect us?
They teach English as a second language here.

NM will license an illegal with just a current foreign license. All others must past the written test, visual test and driving test.

As NM driving citizens we are required to be insured. Illegals don't bother.

We pay taxes to get benefits at our hospitals, police department, emergency responders and school system. Illegals get benefits for having made it past the border without paying any tax.

I bet there are more dicrepancies that I have not mentioned. Fill in the blanks if you care..................................

Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM

104 posts, read 376,883 times

NM will license an illegal with just a current foreign license. All others must past the written test, visual test and driving test.

We pay taxes to get benefits at our hospitals, police department, emergency responders and school system. Illegals get benefits for having made it past the border without paying any tax.

I bet there are more discrepancies that I have not mentioned. Fill in the blanks if you care..................................

Old 06-17-2008, 04:10 PM

717 posts, read 1,956,206 times
Solidwood is so passionate about these issues that he/she (?) posted it twice

Old 06-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidwood View Post

I bet there are more discrepancies that I have not mentioned. Fill in the blanks if you care..................................
Ironically, In Las Vegas Spanish is taught as a second language and the public schools offer Spanish Language Immersion Programs that are in high demand. These efforts to preserve the local bilingual culture highlight the lack of Spanish speaking immigrants in this part of NM. There is no demand for ESL classes.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:52 PM

382 posts, read 1,228,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
I wonder if you could have said it as well??? But yes, I'll concede illegals are a growing problem in many areas, Trapped. Nevertheless, draconian solutions such as mass roundups, deportations and the like are silly chest puffing exercises that have no basis in reality. We must seek middle ground. Neither political party offers long term solutions: republicans want cheap, nearly slave labor without legal recourse and democrats are pandering for their rapidly increasing votes. Both essentially are contributing to the mounting logistical problems of accomodating these masses. Besides Lou Dobbs, few talking heads make much sense of it all. It is past time for a new, centrist political party with the stones to actually attempt honesty! At the present time America is sadly slipping towards the third world. Soon, the American middle class will only be a memory and a footnote in history.
Republicans want cheap labor? I think you need to check the latest polls. The last pool I read indicated that 85% of Republicans were opposed to the current situation. If you remember, it was the Republicans who killed the recent "reform" act, refuting Bush.

Some large businesses may want cheap labor, but buy and large, the majority of illegals work in small businesses. Last time I heard, the Republicans had not cornered the market on the small business segment.

I agree with your comment regarding the middle class.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 PM

382 posts, read 1,228,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc23 View Post
Once again, please read my posts carefully. While your information is based in facts, they are not the only facts pertinent to this issue.
If I get run over by a car and am dead on the side of the road, the fact that the driver was legal and insured or illegal and uninsured is of no consequence. The only pertinent fact is that I am dead.

In this situation, the only pertinent fact is that millions are here illegally. The government is aware of this and refuses to enforce the immigration laws in spite of the enormous cost to me, the taxpayer. They are ignoring the mandate and will of the people, as nearly every poll indicates a unilateral, bi-partisan support for tougher enforcement.

In an age when the government can track my location to the square meter using the GPS in my cell phone, confiscate the fingernail clippers from my check on luggage, stop me randomly on Wyoming (DWI checkpoint), and send me a photo ticket for speeding, it is a farce for them to state they cannot control the border, or that they lack the resources to do so.

Step 1. Require a passport for every American citizen.

Step 2. Amend the Constitution to limit citizenship to those born to either citizens or lawful aliens.

Step 3. Amend the Constitution to require citizenship of students in the public education system. The 1981 Supreme Court ruling opened the flood gate.

Step 4. Worry less about the Middle East and more about the Middle Class.

Step 5. Constitutional amendment - balanced budget.

Last edited by trappedinNM; 06-17-2008 at 07:29 PM..

Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,400,361 times
Quote:
If I get run over by a car and am dead on the side of the road, the fact that the driver was legal and insured or illegal and uninsured is of no consequence. The only pertinent fact is that I am dead.

In this situation, the only pertinent fact is that millions are here illegally. The government is aware of this and refuses to enforce the immigration laws in spite of the enormous cost to me, the taxpayer. They are ignoring the mandate and will of the people, as nearly every poll indicates a unilateral, bi-partisan support for tougher enforcement.

In an age when the government can track my location to the square meter using the GPS in my cell phone, confiscate the fingernail clippers from my check on luggage, stop me randomly on Wyoming (DWI checkpoint), and send me a photo ticket for speeding, it is a farce for them to state they cannot control the border, or that they lack the resources to do so.

Step 1. Require a passport for every American citizen.

Step 2. Amend the Constitution to limit citizenship to those born to either citizens or lawful aliens.

Step 3. Amend the Constitution to require citizenship to students in the public education system. The 1981 Supreme Court ruling opened the flood gate.

Step 4. Worry less about the Middle East and more about the Middle Class.

Step 5. Constitutional amendment - balanced budget.
I am with you all the way on this one

Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 PM

Quote:

In your view, why does the government refuse to enforce immigration laws?
How does the cost to you as a taxpayer balance against the cost to you as a wage earner and consumer?
At what point do opinion polls have more political weight than corporate interests?
In a period of high economic growth and very low unemployment do you amend immigration laws to fill jobs? Enforce with zero-tolerance the existing laws? What are the likely outcomes of the choices?

Otherwise, I wasn't aware federal law enforcement agencies set up DUI checkpoints and monitored traffic cameras in Albuquerque. Or is the ABQ PD now responsible for border patrol... explains a lot either way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico