Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,042,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Are you sure they werent hispanic? Like with Spanish or Mexican last names?

no, they are Mexicans believe me, I grew up in Portales which is probably more Mexican than it is Spanish, I can tell the difference easily.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,733,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
no, they are Mexicans believe me, I grew up in Portales which is probably more Mexican than it is Spanish, I can tell the difference easily.
You can tell by watching them pick up their diplomas? How does an Mexican do it differently from a Mexican-American?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,996,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
You can tell by watching them pick up their diplomas? How does an Mexican do it differently from a Mexican-American?
Mexican American? Wtf?!

If they are Mexicans they are Mexicans...

Like if they are going to call you a American-Mexican if you moved to Mexico?!?

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,184,809 times
Quote:
I think DS must have spotted the big sombreros, the crossed bandoliers of bullets across the chest, the sandals, and the big droopy mustaches...on the WOMEN too ( which is really scarey). Then the little speeches when the sheepskins are handed out.... Thank you for the steenking diploma... That kinda thing .

Old 07-17-2009, 10:21 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,733,154 times
Quote:
Mexican American? Wtf?!

It's just a shortened version of "American of Mexican decent". Don't get your drawers in a wad over this.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:04 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,996,643 times
Quote:
It's just a shortened version of "American of Mexican decent". Don't get your drawers in a wad over this.
Idk... I'm not getting my drawers in a wad over this but yea, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I wonder about you sometimes, anyways, a Mexican is a Mexican no matter if they are Mexican-American or an Illegal, its still a Mexican. Did you not know this?

and when they all look like this its a good indication- among a few other things

or this clip of a dance in Portales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3RtaoMre8

Old 07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Mexican American? Wtf?!

We had several friends when we lived in Belen (yep we did have friends with hispanic names. Ask them if they were Mexican Americans, you are right..They would tell you, the ones born in America, they are Americans of Mexican decent.
they did not want to be called Mexican Armericans.
Nita

Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,239,294 times
My 'ol lady, that recently left me was hispanic, (mexican american) which she disliked being referred to as.

Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it's the US Government's method or way of identifying people of different cultures.

I always wondered that if the US Government does not discriminate, when filling out their forms, why do they quetion your race/ethnicity?

Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We had several friends when we lived in Belen (yep we did have friends with hispanic names. Ask them if they were Mexican Americans, you are right..They would tell you, the ones born in America, they are Americans of Mexican decent.
they did not want to be called Mexican Armericans.
Nita

I've never heard one Mexican refer to themselves as Mexican Americans or American Mexican(which I've never even heard untill now) but I bet alot of them In Portales were born in Mexico, all of my friends in Portales were Mexican and they just called themselves Mexican even though they were born in the US.

and every Sunday at The Midway, this is what goes on.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3RtaoMre8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico