Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM

153 posts, read 759,731 times

Advertisements

Tornadoes in NM: 1880-2000

New Mexico Tornadoes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 09:41 AM

146 posts, read 440,654 times
I'm not going to worry about F0 and F1's when we're used to F4-5.... same goes with the wind.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM

153 posts, read 759,731 times
That's what I was thinking, F0 and F1 is nothing when you've lived in Tornado alley... actually one of the first things I noticed when I moved to New Mexico, was, dang, they never get ANY weather here! I actually went through an adjustment period after living in cloudy Alaska for so long, the sun actually hurt my eyes the first summer I was here, but now I'm addicted. It is seriously one of the sunniest, most clear sky states I have ever lived in. I live in Socorro and I think Las Cruces up to Albuquerque is pretty bad-weather-free. Of course there are people that really hate the winds here but it really isn't that long of time that there is wind when you compare it to how many still, clear-sky days you have, it's just one of those things you come to expect every Spring and then briefly in the late fall.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Before living in Iowa, we lived in New England. There was 5 ft of snow on the ground when we moved to IA... tornadoes last night were brutal, but about 1-1/2 hours away from us.

Hurricanes/northeasters in NE, tornadoes in IA, and small earthquakes in both places, I'm ready for "no weather" too!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,343 times
EXACTLY! No weather sounds wonderful! The only thing I think I will miss, if we move there, is my green lawn and beautiful trees. I love a lawn and the smell of it when it is fresh cut! Even though my allergies act up everytime I cut lol. And thanks InTheDesert, I had actually already found that tornado project link lol. I too thought F0 and F1 sounded pretty wimpy compared to tornadoes in the south.

I do have another question for you all... from what I have been reading Alamogordo sounds like it is pretty slow on the growth chart?? My husband is a flooring installer and he needs to be in a place that is "building" so he can keep installing floor coverings...would this be a problem in Alamo? I have figured all long that he would probably stay busier in Las Cruces, but coming from a town with population less than 1000, Las Cruces sounds way too big and Alamo, though larger than here, is smaller. He most of the time commutes to Hot Springs to work here and hates that 45 minute or longer dirve each morning and afternoon, so commuting to las Cruces is out of the question... unless there is a wonderful town between the two??

Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 PM

In checking houses in Alamo, it seems that a lot that are for sale have lawns in the back, and desert landscaping in the front....

There are others that are far more knowledgeable than me about the growth in Alamo, but there are new houses for sale there, and some that are being listed before being built, or during building... there's a thread about 10 fastest growing cities in NM, and Alamo is on the lists...

Maybe someone that lives there or is from there can answer better than me, because I'm just an Alamo-wanna-be-resident!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,025,627 times
There are homes being built all the time. I don't think your DH would have a problem finding a job. Would he want to work for someone or be his own boss?
Jane

Old 04-11-2008, 06:28 PM

863 posts, read 796,688 times
Just to chime in here, an insurance institute on home safety says that Sante Fe and Las Cruces are both in the top 10 safest places to live from natural disasters. Which leads me to believe that much of NM would fit in that description.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
EXACTLY! No weather sounds wonderful! The only thing I think I will miss, if we move there, is my green lawn and beautiful trees. I love a lawn and the smell of it when it is fresh cut! Even though my allergies act up everytime I cut lol. And thanks InTheDesert, I had actually already found that tornado project link lol. I too thought F0 and F1 sounded pretty wimpy compared to tornadoes in the south.

I do have another question for you all... from what I have been reading Alamogordo sounds like it is pretty slow on the growth chart?? My husband is a flooring installer and he needs to be in a place that is "building" so he can keep installing floor coverings...would this be a problem in Alamo? I have figured all long that he would probably stay busier in Las Cruces, but coming from a town with population less than 1000, Las Cruces sounds way too big and Alamo, though larger than here, is smaller. He most of the time commutes to Hot Springs to work here and hates that 45 minute or longer dirve each morning and afternoon, so commuting to las Cruces is out of the question... unless there is a wonderful town between the two??
I think the important thing is it has growth -- not wild growth but steady growth. The hardest thing is much of the SW are cheap labor states.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 AM

483 posts, read 1,562,343 times
Well m husband has basically worked for himself for the last twenty years +. And labor there can't be much worse than here. Arkansas is one of the lowest paid states.

404 Not Found

This link shows Arkansas to be worse than New Mexico, but only by one.

So are there flooring stores in Alamogordo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico