Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:05 PM

483 posts, read 1,563,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
RTTNFAM -

So .... what is still on your list?

Are you looking at just New Mexico .. or other states as well?

We have been looking in the Southern Colorado/Northern New Mexico area for many years now. My husband talked up the White Sands area so much that we decided to put it on our "relocation list" even though it was not in our search area. It just isn't for us. We are quite frankly getting to a point to where we wonder if we will ever be able to afford the parts of those two states that we do feel as if we could call home. Homes in areas we truely love are out of our price range by so much that it seems crazy to even look there. Then we happen along on a place like Alamo that is affordable and beautiful, but it just isn't home Our search is pretty much at a stand still at this moment. We still have to sell our current home, and in this market that may not be anytime soon. My husband is also getting older and wanting to be closer to his kids who all live in the NWA area, so he has become interested in that part of our state as well. Who knows where we will end up when its all said and done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 03:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
We have been looking in the Southern Colorado/Northern New Mexico area for many years now. My husband talked up the White Sands area so much that we decided to put it on our "relocation list" even though it was not in our search area. It just isn't for us. We are quite frankly getting to a point to where we wonder if we will ever be able to afford the parts of those two states that we do feel as if we could call home. Homes in areas we truely love are out of our price range by so much that it seems crazy to even look there. Then we happen along on a place like Alamo that is affordable and beautiful, but it just isn't home Our search is pretty much at a stand still at this moment. We still have to sell our current home, and in this market that may not be anytime soon. My husband is also getting older and wanting to be closer to his kids who all live in the NWA area, so he has become interested in that part of our state as well. Who knows where we will end up when its all said and done.
I understand exactly what you mean. Alamo IS beautiful....and affordable...and close to my home state of TX when I have to drive back and forth to check on my folks! Northern NM and Durango, CO were my first choices, but the RE is just outrageous, and so overpriced. Durango, especially...200 grand for a mobile home on a slab? I don't think so. SF is expensive, too, but it might be in my future later when I don't have to go back and forth.

I love Alamogordo....and the people I have met here have been so welcoming....sweet and friendly. I love the mountains that are in your face, and the nearby areas I'm so familiar with (Ruidoso, Tinnie, Capitan, etc.).....

What I hate are the summers. It is just plain hot here, but on the other hand, I really like the long growing season, nearly as long as what I'm used to. I have a ton of vine-ripened tomatoes that those in colder climates can only dream of, unless they have greenhouses.

So. It's all a trade-off. You will eventually find the right place for you that says home.

My attitude will probably change drastically when it cools off....and there is snow in Cloudcroft/Ruidoso..and I can go skiing without having to drive so far. The winters here are to die for. Crisp, cool, sunny, bright blue skies....dang near perfect.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:23 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,660,467 times
Hey Cathy .....is it raining there as they (KOB 4) are showing a Flash Flood warning and heavy rain for Alamo and Otero County .....

Old 07-07-2008, 04:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,027,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6/3 View Post
Hey Cathy .....is it raining there as they (KOB 4) are showing a Flash Flood warning and heavy rain for Alamo and Otero County .....
So far we are having a nice gentle rain. We have seen many large clouds and the radar shows heavy rain. But this is good.
Jane

Old 07-07-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
So far we are having a nice gentle rain. We have seen many large clouds and the radar shows heavy rain. But this is good.
Jane
Nice to hear about it getting moisture there Jane .

Old 07-07-2008, 05:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,900,167 times
Quote:
As Jane says...YES!

I rushed home after swimming, saw the heavy clouds, and ran to mow the lawn...and it started raining on me just as I finished.

I hope this goes on all night....nice, slow gentle rain here at the house!!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,481 times
Default Alamogordo

I feel good to see some clouds in Alamogordo , there was to many sunny days for me until now, I live here since march and I loved just how I said to many sunny sunny ... very sunny days for me.The rest of are I loved ,you just can't beat , I have desert brown and white, I have mountains , lakes everything all in the same place.And after all is the friendliest place on the Earth

Old 07-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslater View Post
I feel good to see some clouds in Alamogordo , there was to many sunny days for me until now, I live here since march and I loved just how I said to many sunny sunny ... very sunny days for me.The rest of are I loved ,you just can't beat , I have desert brown and white, I have mountains , lakes everything all in the same place.And after all is the friendliest place on the Earth
Sounds like a great place acslater .

Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM

WeatherBug showing 68 degrees at 4.30 p.m. for Alamogordo .

Old 07-08-2008, 05:17 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,037,841 times
Quote:
WeatherBug showing 68 degrees at 4.30 p.m. for Alamogordo .

YIKES! The Weather Channel site is showing 65º and 99% humidity!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico