Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,302 times

Advertisements

We are interested in Alamogordo and the surrounding area for the purchase of a new home, but were wondering what the weather is like in Alamogordo? From what I have read it is nice and mild in the winter time with little snow, though you are close to skiing. I have also read that the summers can get in the 100's during the day but are usually mild at night. Now what i don't know is do you get storms? I currently live in Arkansas and have about had my fill of tornadoes for most of my life. Do tornadoes occur in this area of New Mexico? What about storms in general? I need to get away from all those storms and the terrible humidty. If anyone has any info I would love to hear it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM

I also forgot to mention... the "critters"... what kind do you have there? I am thinking huge rattlesnakes and scorpions and spiders...please tell me I am wrong. I do know from reading other posts that you don't have mosquitos and flies...WooHoo, Im loving that!! But what about those other creepy crawly things that bite?

Old 04-10-2008, 06:31 PM

153 posts, read 759,458 times
Tornadoes are pretty dang rare in NM. You'll definitely get some dust storms and thunderstorms but not much else, just LOTS of sunshine! No humidity either

Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,140 times
HI,
First off, plan a visit before you do anything. Do what I say, not what we did..LOL We drove into town and said this is the place.
OK, Storms, Dust storms are the worst thing going right now. And There have been a tornado or two sighted, but nothing like you have been having. They are rare here. You may have humidity about 20%, 40% in the monsoon season. But nothing like the midwest. That is the best reason I am in NM.
Critters? Well the scorpions are around, but they are not the big ones. I have stepped on one and it wasn't any worse than a bee sting..and they come out at night. Snakes, I have see 3 in the 10 years here, and they did not stick around once they saw me.
Come out for a visit and see our area. Ask questions all you want.
Jane

Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM

Well I can handle the dust storms (i lived in Arizona for a few years when i was a kid). We are coming to visit for about 3 days in June, but if we sell our house before then....I have never been to Alamogordo, but my husband was stationed there in the 80's and has always talked about how pretty the mountains are. I am a Colorado girl myself(at heart...I visit there every year and have family in Denver, Grand Junction, and Paonia), but I just can't handle the bone chilling winters there. Anyway, I was just wanting to get more familiar with the place then the chamver of commerce web site allows lol! I hope I won't be disappointed when I get there in June.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:11 PM

153 posts, read 759,458 times
It's nice and hot in June so you'll get a good idea if you can handle the summers, make sure you guys drive up to Cloudcroft for a day to cool down, plus you'll feel like you are in CO again! Alamogordo is GORGEOUS and if you like the outdoors at all, you are going to love it there.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:13 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
I also forgot to mention... the "critters"... what kind do you have there? I am thinking huge rattlesnakes and scorpions and spiders...please tell me I am wrong. I do know from reading other posts that you don't have mosquitos and flies...WooHoo, Im loving that!! But what about those other creepy crawly things that bite?
I have to agree with Jane as it's nothing out of the unordinary as far as critters go.

6/3

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
We are interested in Alamogordo and the surrounding area for the purchase of a new home, but were wondering what the weather is like in Alamogordo? From what I have read it is nice and mild in the winter time with little snow, though you are close to skiing. I have also read that the summers can get in the 100's during the day but are usually mild at night. Now what i don't know is do you get storms? I currently live in Arkansas and have about had my fill of tornadoes for most of my life. Do tornadoes occur in this area of New Mexico? What about storms in general? I need to get away from all those storms and the terrible humidty. If anyone has any info I would love to hear it! Thanks!
Right now....typical spring weather, windy and blowing dust/sand.

I have been here since August, and find it very little different weather-wise than West Texas, where I moved from, other than it is a little drier and the nights cool off a lot more.

We had no winter. No ski season. We are close to Ski Apache, but they are so far south that we are lucky if we can ski close by every couple of years. The winter was very temperate and nice....but I like colder winters. I was also told that this past winter was warmer than normal, so I'm looking forward to next winter, hoping we have a real one.

My first summer here is coming up, and I can already tell I'm not going to like it, LOL!!!

Don't get me wrong. I love Alamogordo, and it is beautiful here. But I just hope that this past winter was an anomaly...and that the summer isn't too bad!!

Old 04-10-2008, 09:43 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
RTTNFAM: Tornadoes are almost unknown in NM except near the eastern border, but even there you're a long way from the middle of Tornado Alley. There were a few near Tatum, NM a few years ago.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:17 AM

146 posts, read 440,429 times
I'm sending my husband down there, either the end of this month, or next month, to check out Alamo, also!

I haven't found anything yet that has changed our minds about Alamo in the least.

We're also having very strong winds here in Iowa, and there were tornadoes last night south and east of us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico