Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 12:54 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
jeez, you're a comedian at heart. please post some more goofy coments so I can laugh my you know what off at. you are 2 funny.
since yer a yung 1, you can't have been anywhere important at any time that you really appreciated, or grew to appreciate, not that living in the SW is unappreciable. I think it's sorta like sturgis put it in so many words, you gotta find the right people to mesh with, and if you don't, you're like an island in the middle of nowhere. but, don't give up hope, something, somewhere will find you, trust me.
highdesertmutz,
(again, no home internet yet) just read this post, referring to my attached post, but......
Are these comments about me?? I am a comedian at heart, but not sure if it's me you're laughing at/about/with..?
"A yung 1"? I don't think yer talkin bout me! If you are, I hate to disappoint you !!

Ok, my real point: I may be going to the Balloon Regatta next weekend in Elephant Butte, staying at the Lake for the weekend, Sept 5-7.
Is there a possibility of meeting up at some point?
I'll check in before I go, so DM me if interested.

Have fun all!
Anomoly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 01:03 AM

522 posts, read 1,429,460 times
Default Quic Pic

Here's a pic I took in Hatch on Sunday. Intense sky followed by intense storm, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Truth or Consequences ( T or C ) (TorC)-hpim3108.jpg  

Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times
Smile Referring to YOU

why heck yes, I was speaking of you in the other post.
WOW MAN , WHAT AN AWSOME PICTURE! I wished I could do as good as yours, very, very nice, and..... threatening too I might add.
DM coming your way.
I've been the washer woman the past few days, cleaning the trailer while trying to sell it. trailer is listed on RV Trader dot com. we just received the title a few days ago, and me and my ann are going to get outa dodge, like you did.
ahhhh, washing walls and ceilings are sooooo much fun.
my ann asked me a few days ago about my thoughts, and I had to tell her, gettin' out of this place was on my mind, I even dream of milwaukee now.
we've had a couple of nibbles on this thing, so, I'd better get busy and continue the cleaning project.
hey, I hope the sky doesn't look like that for the baloon thing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Here's a pic I took in Hatch on Sunday. Intense sky followed by intense storm, huh?

Old 09-05-2008, 06:45 AM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
highdesertmutz are you leaving paradise already? I guess I thought you were
here for the long haul but I do see a lot of folks come and go. Are you really
heading back to Milwaukee? If so it is a really pretty city especially by
the lake area but you know how the winters are. Won't be quite as cold
in T or C but it can get down pretty low here but it only lasts for a few
hours. Good luck selling your RV unit and it's been fun reading your T or C
posts.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:01 AM

Smile Not Gone Yet

Howdy, well, we're not gone yet. I have before you mentioned the milwaukee winters thought about it. we'll be in T or C for 3 years come november. it's not that I dislike the area, we've gone places and rough-camped everywhere, or nearly everywhere in this area, but it's the town I have not come to love, or even like for that matter. seems to me, and this is just my opinion, that the people in T or C are different. How? here's an example, we were broke down in the Gila National Forest on highway 152 for 18 1/2 hours before we could finally get someone to stop to help us. being from near the milwaukee area, people normally always stopped for other people to render at least minimal assistance, but not around here. I don't know if this is true about the state of new mexico as a whole, but it bugs me. the other is the strangeness of the people in the town of T or C. My wife who works as a cashier at a local store here tells me of all the strange people she encounters on a daily basis. I wished I had a conclusive answer for all the wierdos I've met since coming here, as to what catagory to place them in, into my mind, but I can't. There are some of the strangest people here I've ever met in my lifetime, but I can compare it to this: my wife worked as a personal caregiver in a group home in wisconsin, and I witnessed first hand how some of the disabled people acted, and was not normal human behavior, and, I do not pre-judge people, but, maybe now less tolerant of behavior that I would consider abnormal. my short fuse for stupidity? I know one must be patient with people who have disabilities, but, when people appear normal in daily activities, shopping, trying to get things fixed, just general daily activities, and one runs into these types of people, shall I say bi-polar disorders, you just have to wonder where they're coming from. here's another example, my wife and I made friends with a guy who is well known in the area that provides certain services for people in T or C. after several meetings with this guy, we discovered he was not a church-goer, and neither are we, but he has this religious belief, and other strange beliefs, one of which, came to near blows after I received his take on the attacks of sept. 11, 2001. he claims that the world trade center towers were imploded by some worldwide movement, the pentagon attack was this worldwide power that also imploded that building, and, that the plane that went down in pennsylvania didn't really occur either, that this worldwide power dropped a bomb in the field and making the hole in the ground. well, after listening to his schpiel for about 35 minutes, I had to tell him he was wrong, we had a heated argument, and I lost him as a (I thought) friend, he hasn't been back to my place for a smoke and coffee or cookout since. he only listens to short wave radio, doesn't watch national news or regular television, and lives like a hermit in cuchillo. he's in his own little world, and in his own small mind. I heard a proverb once, and it went something like this, It is better to be stupid and silent, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, I think this applies to my former friend. I've found it very difficult to find normal people, who I can have normal day to day conversation about world event happenings discussions with, and city data gives me that, and some humor at the same time, so, here I is. I stay informed by watching all 3 of the cable channels news productions, and pick through the local newspaper for stories that peak my interest, I'm trying to keep my mind exercised!
we're not gone from here till the fat lady sings, but while I'm here, I'll try to contribute posts to keep people wondering and thinking for themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer View Post
posts.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:21 PM

Smile Not Gone Yet part 2

well, wisteria repped me I guess. I didn't want my last post to sound or be depressing. I'm not a depressed or manic person, I keep myself occupied with things to help keep me busy, so as not to get depressed, as I've been there before. I definitely would like to stay in T or C mainly because it reminds me so much of alaska in a way. the backroads, the wilderness, the mountains surrounding T or C, the National Forests, except T or C doesn't get as cold, or the snowfall alaska receives. The areas surrounding this town is the "real beauty" of the area, and not so much the town itself with all the rusty roofs, trash strewn about, and a general run down appearance of the town itself. I too have seen a lot of folks come, and go fast, and a person has to wonder, as one of our fellow posters here has moved to las cruces because there's just nothing going on here. who sung that song? we gotta get outa this place, if it's the last thing we ever do....I'd like to drive through the Gila National Forest with my 400 watt stereo system blasting that song through the canyons and mountains. it's the last thing we'll do before departing the area. I love Gila soooo much, that even when pennyless, we went back and boondocked 2 more weeks, while our food supplies and everything else dwindled to nothingness. after going without food or supplies for nearly a week, we came back to civilization, T or C, the diamond in the desert to replenish our supplies. so, I love the area, but can do without the nitwits. for me to keep my sanity, I need to commiserate with people who might be somewhat more normal than what normal is defined as. if that makes any sense. solitude is nice, but man needs man to converse with.
I read somewhere in one of the local rags that T or C, the city, was considering making a recreation hall of some kind, I think that's allright! they need something here. I guess there was a bowling alley at one time, don't know if it's still open or not, but it probably folded due to lack of interest by local residents. businesses won't stay open forever if citizens don't patronize the places. It's my opinion that T or C will always deal with the problems they now have, unless by some miracle the business climate changes, if not, T or C will be what it's always been, a tourist town, with people that check in briefly, then leave quicker than they arrived.
My belief for coming here in the first place, the attraction for me was, oh boy, I'm going to get me a fishin' pole and go down to the clean rio grande and catch my dinner every day, I'm going to camp out forever and really enjoy meeting people with similar interests, but, that was just a dream to me now. I can acquire a fishin' pole, go to lake michigan, drop a line in the water and catch my blue gills, perch, and others, while I look across to the east and see the sun rise again over the lake, and see the sailboats out there. I can go to the corner tap and have a friendly brew and conversation, there's just about a bar on every corner in milwaukee you know, and talk fishing or other interesting subjects.
Quote:
posts.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:06 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,425 times
Sorry to read you are headed back north, but the right fit sometimes requires hindsight. We are now planning to set up shop in Las Cruses because of the obvious infrastructure advantages over TorC, at least for now. Eventually we'll do the 'butte, but for now LC offers more advantages than disadvantages. Life is change. Good luck my friend and may the wind be at your back.

Last edited by dracul; 09-06-2008 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: got one and a quarter hands to type with: plenty of fumbling

Old 09-06-2008, 08:10 PM

271 posts, read 1,174,782 times
I guess I know how you feel highdesertmutz. I have lived a lot of places
and I would think that I have met more weird folks here than almost
anyplace I've lived or been. At first it was sort of a novel thing but now
I guess I long to be around a more normal group of people. I was walking downtown today and I noticed that one of the galleries was empty and in fact thereare a bunch of empty businesses on broadway downtown. Also one of my neighbors who has lived here for over 10 years imformed me they
are leaving. I guess they are looking for a town that shows a little
more economic prosperity. I guess I might end up in LC or even back
to the midwest where people used to be friendly and hopefully still are.
Good luck to you where ever you end up. Milwaukee is a nice place
but long winters.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Smile Downtown and who else is next???

I drive thru downtown all the time, and have noticed as you have, where have they all gone?
which is next to bite the bullet? Alco? I go past there all the time, and now, after wally world opened, all you see is only a couple of cars in the lot, which might belong to employees?
I too love the midwest, more normal and friendlier people?
the T or C downtown reminds me of kenosha, wisconsin downtown, small specialty shops, antique dealers, artsy shops, and, not much of anything for the mainstream. and, a lot of empty storefronts that used to be this and that. T or C downtown could be on the path to extinction.
I guess LC isn't too bad, it's a larger sized town with lower prices on everyday items, but don't know how many strange people are there either. hopefully, not as many as T or C does, if that' where you're thinking of going. as for us, I know about the long winters, but, at least I can get quality medcial care there, and everyday items are priced fairly, plus all of the different stores to choose from, unlike this place.
Quote:
I guess I know how you feel highdesertmutz. I have lived a lot of places
and I would think that I have met more weird folks here than almost
anyplace I've lived or been. At first it was sort of a novel thing but now
I guess I long to be around a more normal group of people. I was walking downtown today and I noticed that one of the galleries was empty and in fact thereare a bunch of empty businesses on broadway downtown. Also one of my neighbors who has lived here for over 10 years imformed me they
are leaving. I guess they are looking for a town that shows a little
more economic prosperity. I guess I might end up in LC or even back
to the midwest where people used to be friendly and hopefully still are.
Good luck to you where ever you end up. Milwaukee is a nice place
but long winters.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Departure

hello friend,
well. we were tabled for another 11 months here, until the person we bought the trailer from came up with the title thankfully. we forced him by court action. good thing you're reconsidering your plans of T or C, and possibly moving onto las cruces. it might be to your advantage. yes, the butte is nice, I wouldn't ming owning a home next to it just so I could wake in the mornings, sip a cup 'o java and look at it everyday, and the rio grande, that's why I love the Gila forest so much, it's so natural, and beautiful. if property were not so expensive in kingston, I'd buy a home there and be in close proximity of emory pass vista. wow. what a view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Sorry to read you are headed back north, but the right fit sometimes requires hindsight. We are now planning to set up shop in Las Cruses because of the obvious infrastructure advantages over TorC, at least for now. Eventually we'll do the 'butte, but for now LC offers more advantages than disadvantages. Life is change. Good luck my friend and may the wind be at your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico