Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 11:35 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times

Advertisements

Frankly, I think a couple of the people taking others to task over killing poisonous
snakes around their homes are just "contrarians" trying to both irritate and to
establish (at least in their own minds) some form of "moral superiority" to the crude,
insensitive brutes who blow snakes away.

It's internet posturing at its most boring...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Hey, I never said anything about killing snake that were threatening people, pets, or livestock. I'd shoot or bludgeon a rattler in the same situation, myself.

The mere existence of a venomous snake is not, a priori, a threat. If I found a rattler striking at myself, another person, my dog, horse, sheep, etc. I'd kill it in a heartbeat. I know from experience that you have to almost want a rattlesnake to strike at you. They typically start to rattle when you approach within 3 or 4 feet. You can generally stop right when you hear the rattle and observe the snake indefinitely without getting it to strike. Only if you harrass the snake by getting closer, prodding it with a stick, etc. will the snake strike. The first few strikes are generally feeble at that. More of a scare tactic than anything else.

If I saw a rattler snaking across my yard, I would either:

A. Leave it alone as long as it was passing through.
B. Contact an authority for removal if it seemed to be staying too close to where I and my family frequent (or remove it myself having the experience to do so).

Let me reiterate that I am not strictly against using deadly force against any animal or person that poses a significant threat to any person or animal I wish to preserve. I am against the policy of killing every member of a species on sight out of irrational fear.

ABQConvict

Old 07-28-2009, 01:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post
... I can totally understand the reaction of another parent, esp. a mom, to protect their child. I wouldn't hesitate to kill a venomous snake if I thought my daughter was in danger.
What if the snake wasn't venomous, but was about to bite your daughter anyway?

Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
honestly I dont see the big deal of killing a poisonous snake or non-poisonous snake, its just like killing fly's or ants or black widows.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
What if the snake wasn't venomous, but was about to bite your daughter anyway?
Probably depends on the size of the snake, Mort. I used to catch 'em when I was 7 and was bitten many times, although not by big snakes. The venom just seriously ups the ante. I'd probably be much mored concerned about a pit bull than a non-venomous snake. Unless it's one of those Burmese pythons in Fla.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
honestly I dont see the big deal of killing a poisonous snake or non-poisonous snake, its just like killing fly's or ants or black widows.
Train passenger in the 1800's: "Honestly, I don't see the big deal of shooting some bison from this moving train, it's just like killing flies or ants or black widows."

Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer
What if the snake wasn't venomous, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin
Probably depends on the size of the snake, ...
My guess was that you'd move just as fast. You'd want to spare your sprog a frightening experience, possible infection, scar, etc.

Only after the fact, would you care about venomous or not.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:57 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Exclamation Rattlesnake Thread

A friend of mine was bitten yesterday while working on his new house.
He is aware of snakes, but this one was soo camied(camoflaged( sp) that he didn't see it..

It was about 10 feet from his youg daugher and she didn't see it..
His hand is 3x'x its normal size and is going to the ER today...

He was unable to "neutrulize" the opposition...I will be out to help him.

This time of year, dry weather etc. they are very prevevelent..

excue the spelling..

HW..keep your eyes and if your can hear watch out...

Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Oh Hunter, i'm so sorry. I hope your friend is going to be okay. And i'm glad it didn't get his daughter!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend's injury and wish him well.

No doubt you will soon be overwhelmed by offers to "rescue" that snake and
relocate it. Please do us a favor and let us know who actually shows up to
do the deed... I think it would be very illuminating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico