Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What would you do if Nature combined snakes, ants and made them the size of dinosaurs. Then you might have reason to shoot a flying six legged snake the size of a bus. I suggest just leaving it be. You are too big to eat.
Not worried about the eating more worried about the biting and then the aftereffects of that bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times
Right...eat a snake that has fed on rats, mice (maybe with the virus)...
I have had rattles BBQ...that were corn fed that's ok....

Sorry again...I get rid of the mice my other way....bullsnakes..roadrunners and me....get rid of them and the dammed rats also...that almost destroyed my garden...

Remember the Croc hunter...he got it...I am not about to start trying to put a 3 ft+ rattler in a bag or what ever.....

HW...Happy safe trails

Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
I just did a quickie Google of snakebite deaths, looking for info directly from the SW. Here is a paragraph, and some perspective, from a site about hiking in Arizona.
Note that a majority of bites were provoked by the bitee....probably some Einstein trying to pick up the snake by the tail or tease it. When such people succumb to their various idiotic adventures I call it thinning the herd.
Friday, March 27, 2009

Death from snake bite

There are 17 different species or subspecies of the rattlesnakes in Arizona. There were 202 rattlesnake bites reported to the poison control center at the University of Arizona (http://www.pharmacy.arizona.edu/media/uViewPressRelease.php?releaseID=13 - broken link) which serves all of Arizona, except Maricopa County during 2006. However, 50 to 70% of all snake bites reported were provoked by the person who was bitten. From 2002 to 2007, Arizona had about one snakebite fatality a year. For comparison, lightning killed 17 people in Arizona from 1990 to 2003, so you are in slightly more danger dying from lightning than from snake bite.

But to get a handle on reality, in 2007 alone, Arizona had 1,066 traffic fatalities. You are, at least, a thousand times more likely to die in a traffic accident than you are to get bitten by a rattler

Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Oh JEEZ! It's poisonous. It can hurt, maim, kill. It's not a damned bullsnake or a black snake or something scary looking that's benign. If she wants to kill the blasted thing, she can. It's not protected, so apparently the powers that be don't deem them worthy enough to protect. And yes, I killed one of the damned things in my garage, he was hiding under a bag of charcoal-right next to the kids' bikes. And if I see another one, i'll kill it too. I'm not hunting them, but if they're on my turf, game over.

Would you take the same stance on the killing of rattlesnakes if they were armed, dangerous humans?

Think about the number of people and animals that are injured or killed yearly because of rattler bites. You, of all people, Drac- experiencing the pain, suffering, tissue damage and lasting affects of something so simple, yet so complicated, as a cat bite, should realize this.

The diamondback is recognized as the snake responsible for the most injuries and deaths of all the rattlesnakes known.

I liken it to being the only survivor on a train besieged by robbers- they didn't shoot YOU, so they must be all right guys. The carnage left in their wake be damned.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Good save, Hunter. I live in the sticks as well as having cats, dogs and horses (and kids) and completely understand the need to protect those unable to protect themselves. The one I killed next to the kids' bikes last week was a little guy- only about 30 inches long.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 AM

390 posts, read 952,304 times
You did good Hunter. The snake would have been in the hen house and next time you gathered eggs might well have been bitten. Last time this subject came up I was warned, so will keep my mouth shut.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
I support what you did, Hunter.

I would kill a rattlesnake to protect my pets.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:33 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
I would have done exactly the same thing Hunter, no way I would put my pets or my kids at risk and there is no way I would attempt to catch and relocate a rattlesnake, contrary to others advice, even professional snake handlers tell you not to handle them if you are inexperienced. And there is no comparision between a snake and a hornet, unless of course you are allergic to the hornet.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
critter, put him into a bucket...remember this is a Western Diamond back..
almost 4 ft long....they do not like to be carried around etc.

just take him out a ways and let um go....right...and they will come back with their friends...obtw..there friends are around..

Sorry folks....NO...I live here...they came onto my area.....
weren't here when I moved here either....
Moving in to enjoy whatever I have.

So..I am supposed to just live in a walled apt. or something...cannot have a house in the country etc...

We put up with . millions of flying ants, blackwidows, trantulas, other spiders, scorpions, mosquitos, etc.

The WDB can cause a lot of pain, suffering, and for some folks, like my wife would Kill her due to her lower immune system...

The roaches, snakes etc. will always survive long after mankind is gone..

But for me and my family...I will protect them..

HW...Happy safe trails..
And if I saw one and had a gun, you damn well better believe it I would do the same. Now call me a non PITA supporter if you must (of course I am) I kill black widows, mosquitos, scorpions and any such thing I see. If I could find a way I would kill every crigger that was born. My poor husband, no matter what he does is miserable all summer cause they eat him alive. Oh, I also kill ticks. I love my pets and the guy I live with. I will do what I can to keep the creature free.

If anyone has read my threads they know I love wildlife, but there are limits..

Nita

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Hunter,
I support you 100%.
Granted, I do not like snakes, but I do not go out looking for them to kill. But you can bet your last dollar if a rattler invades my space, its a dead one. I have a 5 year old grandson who means more to me than anything else. He HAS to come first, and as long as I am alive, he will.

Last edited by AlisonL; 07-20-2009 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico