Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM

46 posts, read 106,505 times

Advertisements

Yes! God Forbid! Someone might have made a lot of money on those pics of those nasty rattle snakes! Got to be careful of that! Maybe you can prosecute! To be honest with you, I think the shots are kind of offensive to begin with; most people such as me hate snakes, and if I see them I kill them! Period! They're disgusting!

You know, it really seems more like someone was just excited about your work, and what you were sharing, and wanted others to see it; nothing more...get a life! I saw the pics, and nowhere was there an impression that the poster was taking credit for the shots. And the ranger in the pic does look like Sarah Palin.

Last edited by rb62; 10-27-2008 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM

908 posts, read 2,858,217 times
I think you're over-reacting. I never said anything about prosecution. I just expect that if someone is going to use my photos, they do me the courtesy of asking and then use them in a manner I deem reasonable.

Actually, I have a life, which is why I managed to get a photo to post in the first place. As I explained to the other poster, I just thought it was common courtesy to give credit where credit is due. The poster mis-represented the photos when he copied them and renamed them elpasorattlesnack 1,2&3(his spelling) and then posted them in the el paso forum. He then proceeded to use my Photobucket account links in another posting saying it was courtesy of me, when he never asked permission. Again, all he had to do was ask. It's rude to suggest you asked when you didn't. Finally, the comments about the female Park Ranger were sexist and political. I wouldn't care about what someone wanted to do with their photos, but I didn't appreciate the comments about a professional friend of mine appearing in my photos, so I pulled the photo in question. No big deal.

I accepted the poster's apology and let him know he's welcome to use my photos in the future if he's willing to be a gentleman about it.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,532,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Good point...Steve-O?
The only way to determine sex on snakes is to "probe" them. They have scales on their underbelly that hide the sexual organs. There are special tools to use so that you dont hurt the snakes, and this must be done by a professional, especially on venomous snakes. Anyways, you insert the probe into the caudal scales and the deeper the probe goes (several scales back), its female. Males will have shallower depth and hemipenes (sexual reproduction organs).

Old 11-03-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Hey, with threads like this, you don't have to worry about too many people coming to New Mexico...eek. I know when I was in El Paso, there was a little kid that got bit by a rattle snake at a 7-11.

Aren't these snakes protected? If so can you call a state agency to have one removed if its in sight..?

Also, are the bites fatal?
Yes, some species are protected. Killing a protected rattlesnake is a big no-no. Actually, killing any snake is a big no-no, no matter how much you dislike them.

And yes, sometimes the bites are fatal, unfortunately. However, the vast majority of bites are non-fatal. A trip to the ER is always a good thing, regardless. Always play it safe.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb62 View Post
To be honest with you, I think the shots are kind of offensive to begin with; most people such as me hate snakes, and if I see them I kill them! Period! They're disgusting!
Snakes are not disgusting. The only disgusting things around here are people who are completely IGNORANT when it comes to snakes and go about killing them needlessly. YOUR acts towards snakes/wildlife are disgusting.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM

908 posts, read 2,858,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The only way to determine sex on snakes is to "probe" them. ..this must be done by a professional, especially on venomous snakes. ...Males will have shallower depth and hemipenes (sexual reproduction organs).
Thanks Steve-o, I figured you could knock this one out of the park.

My Park Ranger friend was clear to say that snakes are actually relatively fragile and need to be handled with knowing care.

Incidentally, as a general rule I always leave hemipene probing to the professionals. It's just the way I roll.

Last edited by ziaAirmac; 11-03-2008 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziaAirmac View Post
Thanks Steve-o, I figured you could knock this one out of the park.

My Park Ranger friend was clear to say that snakes are actually relatively fragile and need to be handled with knowing care.

Incidentally, as a general rule I always leave hemipene probing to the professionals. It's just the way I roll.
lol

Thanks Zia. And yes, probing snakes is best left to pros. Wouldnt want to decimate the male's tool accidentally now, would we?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:38 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,749,400 times
Default Sidewinder Rattlesnake

I saw my first snake today. On my driveway sunning himself this afternoon. It was only small about 8 inches but still enough to scare me since I have a 2yo who likes to explore the area he was found.

Does anyone know of a working snake repellent? I would prefer not to see another one.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 PM

405 posts, read 1,337,485 times
There are several methods..but most of them are often debated because sometimes they are effective, and sometimes they are not.
Moth balls in the area, amonia soaked wrags (which must be resoaked when they dry out) or I have even heard of chayenne pepper.
However..keep in mind that these critters are more afraid of you than you need to be of them. Keep your yard free of tall grass and wood/log clutter or anywhere they can crawl underneath. Also..they are great at keeping your area free of pesky bugs and rodents. If worse comes to worse and the animal has to be removed please call a snake rescue/removal that will not destroy of the animal. I have that contact info if need be. Best of luck!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 PM

416 posts, read 1,401,679 times
Eeeeeeew, creepy. I thought there weren't any sidewinders in NM. Either way, yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico