Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 11:07 AM

11 posts, read 20,863 times

Advertisements

Walking the young dogs last week came across a four footer lying flat out on the dirt road at the old dump in Tulie.
Fortunately, I had 'old eagle eyes' misses with me and she spotted it 20 yards away. We were able to call the dogs before they sighted it and we walked back to the truck.
Curious we drove back to the spot to get a closer look from the safety of our PU. We think these creatures are pretty cool. But we're no fools and would never mess with them. At the spot now was a vaquero who had been rounding up cattle and he spooked the snake into the brush. Was it ever rattlin'-very loud, incessant and distinctive.
I side with those folks who don't want them around their homes and property. And when we're out on the trails or range we're always going to be aware and take precautions. We carry long walking sticks, a .22 w/varmint shot and will leash the dogs until they get older and wiser to the surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 11:43 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijomarco View Post
Walking the young dogs last week came across a four footer lying flat out on the dirt road at the old dump in Tulie.
Fortunately, I had 'old eagle eyes' misses with me and she spotted it 20 yards away. We were able to call the dogs before they sighted it and we walked back to the truck.
Curious we drove back to the spot to get a closer look from the safety of our PU. We think these creatures are pretty cool. But we're no fools and would never mess with them. At the spot now was a vaquero who had been rounding up cattle and he spooked the snake into the brush. Was it ever rattlin'-very loud, incessant and distinctive.
I side with those folks who don't want them around their homes and property. And when we're out on the trails or range we're always going to be aware and take precautions. We carry long walking sticks, a .22 w/varmint shot and will leash the dogs until they get older and wiser to the surroundings.

Yes, you really have to be careful with the dogs especially the young, energetic ones since they tend to act first and think later and it doesn't take long for a snake to strike. You might want to consider rattlesnake shots for your dogs. I know all the local vets offer them here in Alamo.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,038,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When I do move out there I will sign a non-agression pact with the local rattler population and encourage them to keep the yard rodent free.
well you do that then, maybe you can even read them bedtime strories

Old 07-22-2009, 03:53 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,183,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
who cares about all this, I say shoot em

maybe you can go lead a protest against killing them and then you can cry over the Bambi movie.
Mocking me and mocking science accomplishes nothing, except to provide some insights into character, intelligence, judgement, and other attributes.
Here's what those whiny scientists say:

[LEFT]BENEFITS OF RATTLESNAKES TO HUMANS. In addition to the ethical issues, practical
reasons exist to value and conserve rattlesnakes. Researchers are beginning to unlock the secrets
of snake venoms. Substances derived from venoms are ingredients in numerous medications,
such as those used to treat stroke victims and to prevent the growth of cancerous tumors. More
than a dozen diagnostic tests and drugs are derived from snake venoms. Because the muscles that
power the noise-making rattle are so highly resistant to fatigue and resemble human heart
muscle, they have proven to be a valuable model system in biomedical research. Ecologically,
rattlesnakes excel at pest control and are especially proficient at hunting rodents. Because of the
large number of rattlesnakes harvested for roundups each year, hundreds of thousands of rodents
that would have been consumed by them remained free to wreak havoc on the human enterprise.
In recent years, increases in rodent populations have led to the spread of dangerous diseases,
such as Hantavirus, and one can only speculate whether efforts to control rattlesnake populations
have exacerbated this problem.
CONCLUSIONS. Rattlesnakes are treated differently than most other commercially harvested
vertebrate species. For example, the harvesting of sharks, animals that also elicit fear by humans,
is highly regulated to promote their conservation. Unfortunately, the cornerstones of wildlife
conservation -- controlling commercial use and regulating the take of wildlife -- have not been
applied broadly to rattlesnakes. Thus, rattlesnakes are widely hunted and sold for profit, both
dead and alive, without adequate regulation or monitoring by wildlife agencies.
The more than thirty species of rattlesnake comprise a unique component of North America’s
biodiversity, and one that is increasingly imperiled. By virtue of their novelty to European
colonists and their perceived nobility, rattlesnakes hold an honored place in the early history of
the United States. They appeared on numerous battle flags during the Revolutionary and Civil
Wars, including the first Union Jack, which was raised over a Revolutionary warship by the
young Lt. John Paul Jones. Our forefathers viewed the rattlesnake as a symbol of strength and
independence, a perception that deserves to be encouraged once more.
Just a few decades ago top predators such as hawks and wolves were regarded as “vermin” and
were subjected to bounty hunts and wanton killing. Today, however, these magnificent species
are valued elements of our natural heritage, the intriguing subjects of documentary films and
ecotourism. The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists supports an end to
traditional rattlesnake roundups and encourages local communities to replace such anachronistic
events with festivals that celebrate the role of rattlesnakes in nature and recognizes their
significance as an historic symbol of our nation’s strength and independence.[/LEFT]

Old 07-22-2009, 06:05 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,254,209 times
Men have mocked science for years- it's called a differing opinion. And also how advances are made. If we all lived life as science desires, then it'd be a shallow, drone-like existance indeed, except when it's constantly contradicting itself, that is.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
Wink Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Im glad you killed that snake, I dont know why people would not want you too, its just a damn snake, and I would skin it and eat it too if I were you.
The snakes probably think we're just 'damn people', and they wouldn't bother to skin us before they ate us if they had the chance.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
Mocking me and mocking science accomplishes nothing, except to provide some insights into character, intelligence, judgement, and other attributes.
Here's what those whiny scientists say:

[LEFT]BENEFITS OF RATTLESNAKES TO HUMANS. In addition to the ethical issues, practical
reasons exist to value and conserve rattlesnakes. Researchers are beginning to unlock the secrets
of snake venoms. Substances derived from venoms are ingredients in numerous medications,
such as those used to treat stroke victims and to prevent the growth of cancerous tumors. More
than a dozen diagnostic tests and drugs are derived from snake venoms. Because the muscles that
power the noise-making rattle are so highly resistant to fatigue and resemble human heart
muscle, they have proven to be a valuable model system in biomedical research. Ecologically,
rattlesnakes excel at pest control and are especially proficient at hunting rodents. Because of the
large number of rattlesnakes harvested for roundups each year, hundreds of thousands of rodents
that would have been consumed by them remained free to wreak havoc on the human enterprise.
In recent years, increases in rodent populations have led to the spread of dangerous diseases,
such as Hantavirus, and one can only speculate whether efforts to control rattlesnake populations
have exacerbated this problem.
CONCLUSIONS. Rattlesnakes are treated differently than most other commercially harvested
vertebrate species. For example, the harvesting of sharks, animals that also elicit fear by humans,
is highly regulated to promote their conservation. Unfortunately, the cornerstones of wildlife
conservation -- controlling commercial use and regulating the take of wildlife -- have not been
applied broadly to rattlesnakes. Thus, rattlesnakes are widely hunted and sold for profit, both
dead and alive, without adequate regulation or monitoring by wildlife agencies.
The more than thirty species of rattlesnake comprise a unique component of North America’s
biodiversity, and one that is increasingly imperiled. By virtue of their novelty to European
colonists and their perceived nobility, rattlesnakes hold an honored place in the early history of
the United States. They appeared on numerous battle flags during the Revolutionary and Civil
Wars, including the first Union Jack, which was raised over a Revolutionary warship by the
young Lt. John Paul Jones. Our forefathers viewed the rattlesnake as a symbol of strength and
independence, a perception that deserves to be encouraged once more.
Just a few decades ago top predators such as hawks and wolves were regarded as “vermin” and
were subjected to bounty hunts and wanton killing. Today, however, these magnificent species
are valued elements of our natural heritage, the intriguing subjects of documentary films and
ecotourism. The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists supports an end to
traditional rattlesnake roundups and encourages local communities to replace such anachronistic
events with festivals that celebrate the role of rattlesnakes in nature and recognizes their
significance as an historic symbol of our nation’s strength and independence.[/LEFT]

sure there may be some benefits of having a rattlesnake around but there aint no benefit when it bites your a$$ or your loved ones and pets.

and I really dont care what some scientists have to say, just go with common sense and blast the snake

Old 07-23-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
The snakes probably think we're just 'damn people', and they wouldn't bother to skin us before they ate us if they had the chance.

true, so should we just eat it without skinning it, personally I think it taste better skinned, not that I have ever eatin it with skin on but you know what Im saying.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:48 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,395,081 times
I would rather have rattlesnakes in my vicinity (mind you, I don't blame people for removing them, even 'permanently') than a bunch of Bubonic Plague and Hantavirus infested rodents.

You are way more likely to suffer the rodent-born 'Black Death' in New Mexico than die of a snake bite yet there are no threads entitled "Killed a mouse today!"

ABQConvict

Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 PM

405 posts, read 1,336,134 times
Thumbs down Irritated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post

You "snake" lovers out there...come on down here and walk around for a while and see just how friendly you really think they are....
Tecpatl said everything perfectly. No respect coming from me either. Who said they are 'friendly'? Us snakelovers know them and respect them as they are naturally.

As far as "rattlers not being compatable with the hen house"..check again. Those snakes were there long before you or your chickens were.

Also, you stated that you aren't about to bag-n-transport a 3' rattler. No one asked you to. Thats what professionals (myself included) are here for.

I also found it disrespectful for you to post those photos online. That would be like me stringing up something that you love and are passionate about..like say.. your beloved cat and posting it for all to see.

Now that you know of two people who are willing to capture and relocate (for free), maybe next time you'll save yourself a bullet or two and contact someone. Probably not, but atleast its worth a thought.

A closing thought: There is a reason that every animal roams where it does: food, water and shelter. When you rid that area of one animal and it becomes open for new taking, something else WILL move in, and chances are its going to be something you dislike even more that what came before it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico