Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,236,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
It's a very fun place. I went there 4-5 times over the course of 4 years, and each time was great. Unless you're claustrophobic, there's a great hike through a slot canyon that eventually ends up overlooking the entire area...I highly recommend it.
Don't know if you've ever been to Gila Cliff Dwellings, but due to my physical limitations, I would grade that place a # 6 or so for me, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult, how would you grade the place for me that you've mentioned in the thread? Would like to know because I'd like to climb thru the canyon but if it's too difficult, maybe I'll just go see it, instead of doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:44 PM

414 posts, read 1,020,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Don't know if you've ever been to Gila Cliff Dwellings, but due to my physical limitations, I would grade that place a # 6 or so for me, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most difficult, how would you grade the place for me that you've mentioned in the thread? Would like to know because I'd like to climb thru the canyon but if it's too difficult, maybe I'll just go see it, instead of doing it.
I've never been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings, but I'll still try and give a rough estimate. The first part of the hike is mostly through the canyons. There's not a whole lot of ups and downs, but there are a couple somewhat-tight fits. There I'd say it's a 3/10 for difficulty, add more if you're not good with tight spaces. Once you're through the canyon it opens up just fine, but there's a more vertical section of the hike that I'd put at a 5-6 out of 10 for difficulty. No ladders or anything real dangerous, just switchbacks. It's a pretty short section though, and the views are great. The only problem with that section is it can get a little icy in winter, depending on the weather.

If that hike doesn't work out for you, there's another loop that's much easier terrain and still lets you see quite a bit of the park as well as a few neat areas (a cave that used to be occupied by humans, some of the "tent rocks, some apache tears, etc.). No canyons, and only a few ups and downs. I'd put that overall at a 2-3 for difficulty.

The only last small consideration is that there's a long-ish dirt road leading to the park, but my family's easily made it in a small van without ever being nervous.

Regardless, it's a great area and worth at least checking out

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbqTeacher View Post
I've never been to the Gila Cliff Dwellings, but I'll still try and give a rough estimate. The first part of the hike is mostly through the canyons. There's not a whole lot of ups and downs, but there are a couple somewhat-tight fits. There I'd say it's a 3/10 for difficulty, add more if you're not good with tight spaces. Once you're through the canyon it opens up just fine, but there's a more vertical section of the hike that I'd put at a 5-6 out of 10 for difficulty. No ladders or anything real dangerous, just switchbacks. It's a pretty short section though, and the views are great. The only problem with that section is it can get a little icy in winter, depending on the weather.

If that hike doesn't work out for you, there's another loop that's much easier terrain and still lets you see quite a bit of the park as well as a few neat areas (a cave that used to be occupied by humans, some of the "tent rocks, some apache tears, etc.). No canyons, and only a few ups and downs. I'd put that overall at a 2-3 for difficulty.

The only last small consideration is that there's a long-ish dirt road leading to the park, but my family's easily made it in a small van without ever being nervous.

Regardless, it's a great area and worth at least checking out
How many times have you watched Silverado? I think I've watched it all of the way through at least 4 times, and not all the way through about 12.

I have watched Lonely Are The Brave about 20 times. What's striking to me in that movie is Kirk Douglas (John W. Burns) rising in the morning with coffee fresh off the fire, and the technology speeding across the sky, and him talking to his horse "whiskey".

Thanks for the info above, sounds like I would check it out.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
The Silverado town set is on the Cook Ranch. It is also the same set as was used
to represent several towns in Lonesome Dove.
Didn't know that, interesting. Always wanted to visit the Cook Ranch.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
How many times have you watched Silverado? I think I've watched it all of the way through at least 4 times, and not all the way through about 12.

I have watched Lonely Are The Brave about 20 times. What's striking to me in that movie is Kirk Douglas (John W. Burns) rising in the morning with coffee fresh off the fire, and the technology speeding across the sky, and him talking to his horse "whiskey".

Thanks for the info above, sounds like I would check it out.
I think I've seen Silverado all the way through 2-3 times, and have caught parts of it at least a half dozen other times. I love the opening sequence with the gunfight and, afterwards, they great view.

I've never seen Lonely Are the Brave...I"ll have to check it out.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
I just finished Lonely Are the Brave (1962)--utterly depressing, yet very interesting on so many levels. I couldn't believe the cast in addition to Kirk Douglas--Walter Matthau, Carroll O'Connor, George Kennedy, et al.....

What a patient, well-trained horse! I had to laugh at the antics and the name Whiskey--they played on that again in a much later movie he made with Ann-Margaret/Arnold called The Villian--but it was pure slapstick farce!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:06 PM

541 posts, read 861,645 times
It's so nice to know that the beauty of NM is being used for making movies! Hollywood should have thought of this years ago.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:52 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
It's so nice to know that the beauty of NM is being used for making movies! Hollywood should have thought of this years ago.
They did. New Mexico did not become a U.S. state until 1912, but movies were first filmed here in 1898.

The Great Divide (The 1915 version) was filmed in Albuquerque.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-25-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 PM

713 posts, read 1,846,573 times
Try this link...\

IMDb: Most Popular Titles With Location Matching "New Mexico, USA"

Old 01-28-2012, 04:56 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Movies with filming done in New Mexico:

Crazy Heart (2009) "A faded country music musician is forced to reassess his dysfunctional life during a doomed romance that also inspires him." Crazy Heart (2009) - IMDb

True Grit (2010) "A tough U.S. Marshal helps a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer. " True Grit (2010) - IMDb

The Book of Eli (2010) "A post-apocalyptic tale, in which a lone man fights his way across America in order to protect a sacred book that holds the secrets to saving humankind. " The Book of Eli (2010) - IMDb

Paul (2011) "Two British comic-book geeks traveling across the U.S. encounter an alien outside Area 51. " Paul (2011) - IMDb

Cowboys & Aliens (2011) "A spaceship arrives in Arizona, 1873, to take over the Earth, starting with the Wild West region. A posse of cowboys and natives are all that stand in their way." Cowboys & Aliens (2011) - IMDb

Fright Night (2011) "A teenager suspects that his new neighbor is a vampire." Fright Night (2011) - IMDb

John Carter (2012) "Transplanted to Mars, a Civil War vet discovers a lush planet inhabited by 12-foot tall barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter a princess who is in desperate need of a savior." Shiprock, New Mexico, USA was a filming location. IMDb - John Carter (2012)

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-28-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico