Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,849,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Aside from the fact that Johnny Depp is part native American, and that he could easily pass for Potawatomi (the tribe local to Detroit where the original radio serial originated, and what Tonto was said to have been), this betrays an amazingly limited view. The day a film producer can't hire A-list actors but has to answer to the locals' provincial affirmative action requirements is the day all film producers shoot elsewhere.

Michigan's got some pretty sweet film industry incentives. I'm surprised you're not complaining about the film not getting made there, because that would be even more true to Tonto than what you're advocating.
Actually, Johnny Depp claims that his great grandmother was part Cherokee or Creek, although I don't think he's ever offered any evidence of that. Although the Potawatami tribe did have a minor presence in southwestern Michigan, not Detroit, the primary tribe in the Detroit area was Ottawa (some called Odawa) and the Chippewa likely ventured that far south.

Since both the Lone Ranger radio and TV portrayed life in the west, I would expect the movie recreation to do the same - not portray Michigan.

A film producer is also free to hire whoever he/she wants for a role. Anyone is free to like or dislike the choice, and see or not see the movie for any reason whatsoever.

BTW, as a kid in Detroit, I took a class tour of the WXYZ studios. Brace Beemer was still there and did his Hi-Yo Silver for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,433,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Good point.

I am not a fond follower of Johnny Depp's...
I understand that Depp accepted the roll of Tonto insisting that his role, in terms of importance to the plot and integrity, be reversed with that of the Lone Ranger. In other words, Tonto will be the featured player and will be calling the shots, while the masked man provides minor input.

Last edited by nmguy; 01-31-2012 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 01:42 PM

25 posts, read 46,974 times
I saw this movie last night "Off the Map." filmed entirely in NM looks like mostly near Taos. It was a sundance film so it may not have been released widely if at all. The landscapes were an inegral part of the plot. It was quite interesting: Sam Elliot and Joan Allen. Much better (imho) then the crap and endless remakes that pass for films nowadays.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,244 times
Default Green Eyes 795

I didnt go through all the Posts but one movie filmed in New Mexico that i didnt find was Bobbie Jo and the Outlaws with Linda Carter before she became Wonder Woman. She had a beautiful body as Wonder Women but in this movie when she was young it shows her in the Nude Form i hope all you men dont rush to the Video Store to find it. But it was a great movie filmed from Mountainair, Willard, Vaughn, Santa Rosa it might still be found out there or through the Internet. Once in Awhile you still see it on cable.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:10 PM

713 posts, read 1,848,744 times
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
The actor has also surmised that he is part Native American, saying in 2011, "I guess I have some Native American [in me] somewhere down the line. My great-grandmother was quite a bit of Native American, she grew up Cherokee or maybe Creek Indian. Makes sense in terms of coming from Kentucky, which is rife with Cherokee and Creek."[7][8]
I've got a better argument for being Native American than he has.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:12 PM

713 posts, read 1,848,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclelarry View Post
I saw this movie last night "Off the Map." filmed entirely in NM looks like mostly near Taos. It was a sundance film so it may not have been released widely if at all. The landscapes were an inegral part of the plot. It was quite interesting: Sam Elliot and Joan Allen. Much better (imho) then the crap and endless remakes that pass for films nowadays.
Off The Map was filmed in the Taos area and is one of the best movies filmed in New Mexico. I saw it in a theater her in Santa Fe and bought a copy. Fantastic.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,793,532 times
Another hoot for Cowboys & Aliens. Just watched it.

I really enjoyed it too. Daniel Craig is a great, Eastwood-like tough guy. I also like the Native American guy from Smoke Signals. Olivia Wilde-hot!

Terrific scenery too!!! I think the Ghost Ranch, near Abiquiu.

Kind of a fun idea to have Cowboys, Indians taking on the Aliens. Awful things, they were!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 PM

5,063 posts, read 7,471,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
Off The Map was filmed in the Taos area and is one of the best movies filmed in New Mexico. I saw it in a theater her in Santa Fe and bought a copy. Fantastic.
Thanks for this recommendation. I rented it and watched it last night. Was quite charmed with it, and sorry I missed it when it first came out. It is appealing in so many ways, not least of which is how it showcases that part of New Mexico. Big thumbs up! It may be my new favorite New Mexico film.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 AM

10,773 posts, read 23,911,310 times

Tortilla Heaven Trailer - YouTube

Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM

5,063 posts, read 7,471,809 times
<<groan>> The "holy tortilla" theme has been overdone. It even makes an appearance in the film I just saw, "Off the Map."

And, looking at the trailer, I see some serious confusion of New Mexican Hispanic culture with Caribbean Hispanic culture. Fried bananas? Salsa music? Not so much in rural northern NM.

But the scenery, of course, looks awesome. Fortunately for you, caphillsea77, you'll no longer have to go to the movies to enjoy our scenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico