Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times

Advertisements

Heck i'd add from Tucson, AZ all the way to San Antonio, TX on I-10 with the exception of going thru las cruces/el paso it should 80 or higher on the southern rim interstate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,764,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Question
1. Why do you Paint your Bridges and signs, seems like a waste of money?
Better question: why not paint them, particularly in places like NJ where you spend 1000% more time sitting on the highway in traffic then one does out here.
Actually, I think it is a common practice outside of the NE - they certainly do it in CO and AZ. I love it. One of the many things I appreciate about living out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2. Is it really neccesary to have huge Highways out there, your cities are tiny.
Not understanding what one has to to do with the other. The cities may be small compared to some in other places, however, people still need to get to/from them. Hard as it still is for me to believe, there is no fast public transportation alternative between Las Cruces and ABQ, so, driving I-25 is pretty much the only way to get back and forth.
Also product still needs to be moved between our 'little' cities. I-25, I-40 and I-10 are major trucking routes, connecting places like San Diego to Phoenix to LC to El Paso, LC to ABQ to Denver and so forth. A lot of military equipment gets moved around out here too.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Heck i'd add from Tucson, AZ all the way to San Antonio, TX on I-10 with the exception of going thru las cruces/el paso it should 80 or higher on the southern rim interstate.
I agree about LC to east of the Americas exit. That's about 60 miles where driving in excess of 70-75 mph would be dangerous, due to sheer volume. I think once you get east of Fabens, the speed limit changes to 80 anyway. Once you go west of the fairground exit in LC, you are right, the speed limit to the Arizona line should be 80. Arizona is another state where the speed limit should be either raised or eliminated. Other than Tucson and Phoenix, there's really no need for a limit. A state police officer could just as easily and rightfully summon a driver for reckless or careless driving. A perfect example is I-8, from Casa Grande to Gila Bend, then to Yuma. There is no earthly reason a speed limit should exist on that stretch of road.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:46 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
mortimer: Of course I will move into the right lane if someone comes up behind me going faster (no matter how fast). I'm not trying to be a speed cop. What bothers me is when I'm in the left lane, going 5 or so mph over the speed limit (maybe more), and someone comes shrieking up behind me when the right lane is full of people going way below the speed limit. So then I have a choice: Either stay where I am and anger the guy behind me, or get over into the right lane and poke along so he can go as fast as he wants.

I hate it when half of the trafiic is going 50 and the other half is going 80, and I want to go 65.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:43 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
What bothers me is when I'm in the left lane, going 5 or so mph over
the speed limit (maybe more), and someone comes shrieking up behind
me when the right lane is full of people going way below the speed limit.
That's a totally different animal than lane discipline. The overtaking car behind
you is not using lane discipline at that point. If you are actively passing people
on your right, then shrieker should just hang back and wait till you get a clear
opportunity to move over into a large gap on your right. It's not your job
to dart into a tiny space and then slam on your brakes to make sure you
don't hit the guy who is now in front of you and going far slower than you

If the shrieker behind you ( who is not necessarily a guy ) is pissed, you can be
sure that as soon as you get the opportunity to let them go, they'll be pissed
at the next person not willing to go 20 mph over and so on and so on ...

I remember running into this in the Car Pool lane on 101 in the Bay Area.
I would be going 65 mph which is way too fast when the traffic in the
other lanes is at dead stop - hoping no idiot decides to bolt - which often
happened - and some yahoo would tailgate me thinking that I should move
over. ( The "Fast Lane" was actually the 2nd-from-left lane. )

Knowing that no matter how fast I went, I wouldn't make them happy, I just
slowed down to 50 - which was still way to fast if someone were to bolt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman
I hate it when half of the trafiic is going 50 and the other half is going 80,
and I want to go 65.
You have just described the traffic from/to ABQ/SF
pretty much every day of the year.

You have just described why a new lane to/from there would have
been a much better investment than a new rail system.

Last edited by mortimer; 03-09-2010 at 02:55 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,110,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey
1. Why do you Paint your Bridges and signs, seems like a waste of money?
Why do communities put landscaping in on freeways?

Why do they pick up the garbage?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:16 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Better question: why not paint them, particularly in places like NJ where you spend 1000% more time sitting on the highway in traffic then one does out here.
Actually, I think it is a common practice outside of the NE - they certainly do it in CO and AZ. I love it. One of the many things I appreciate about living out here.

Not understanding what one has to to do with the other. The cities may be small compared to some in other places, however, people still need to get to/from them. Hard as it still is for me to believe, there is no fast public transportation alternative between Las Cruces and ABQ, so, driving I-25 is pretty much the only way to get back and forth.
Also product still needs to be moved between our 'little' cities. I-25, I-40 and I-10 are major trucking routes, connecting places like San Diego to Phoenix to LC to El Paso, LC to ABQ to Denver and so forth. A lot of military equipment gets moved around out here too.
You're funny, but you also make alot of sense. Nobody likes to sit in traffic and look at someone else's back bumber. When I sat in traffic on the tri-state tollway around chicago, I used to rubberneck to see who was sitting next to me. I loved driving a truck and doing leg checks. Any diversion while stuck in traffic is wonderful.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:18 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,241,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Why do communities put landscaping in on freeways?

Why do they pick up the garbage?
How does that old military saying go? wasn't it job security?

Old 03-09-2010, 05:20 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,689,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I agree about LC to east of the Americas exit. That's about 60 miles where driving in excess of 70-75 mph would be dangerous, due to sheer volume. I think once you get east of Fabens, the speed limit changes to 80 anyway. Once you go west of the fairground exit in LC, you are right, the speed limit to the Arizona line should be 80. Arizona is another state where the speed limit should be either raised or eliminated. Other than Tucson and Phoenix, there's really no need for a limit. A state police officer could just as easily and rightfully summon a driver for reckless or careless driving. A perfect example is I-8, from Casa Grande to Gila Bend, then to Yuma. There is no earthly reason a speed limit should exist on that stretch of road.
Mike

Have they finally started the I-10 widening project between Las Cruces and Anthony as i know it was held up in court for a few months from my understanding ??

Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM

9,384 posts, read 20,872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Mike

Have they finally started the I-10 widening project between Las Cruces and Anthony as i know it was held up in court for a few months from my understanding ??
I haven't driven on I-10 for the past 3 weeks, and there wasn't any ground breaking going on at that time. I think you are looking for at least a 3 year project, once it gets underway, if not more. Honestly, I'd rather just take 478, if it gets to the point I think it will when the major construction starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico