Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,452,243 times

Advertisements

It's used often, in many threads, and it's a newish term to me. I'd never heard it applied to myself until I moved to New Mexico. Since "Anglo" is a form of "Anglo-Saxon" and my ancestry is NOT Anglo-Saxon, I don't know why the term would be applied to me. I certainly never use it to describe myself.

I'm a little on the fence as to whether or not I consider it insulting, although it's certainly not accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 10:25 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,376 times
I think in the Southwest, "Anglo" is interchangeable with "white" or "Caucasion."

In the context in which it is used in this part of the country, I have never thought it meant Anglo-saxon, just a way to differentiate white-skinned people from Hispanics or Indians.

Now if they start calling you "gringo" - that might be considered insulting.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:31 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,919,991 times
The correct usage when speaking of whites in the USA is:

Anglo-American

Old 05-02-2010, 10:44 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,270,517 times
It's an old term. The problem is you can't really say "white" because technically hispanics are considered "white" also so no differentiation. In the Southwest the term has long been a way to differentiate residents of the indigenous Hispanic/Indian culture from those whose heritage derives from other parts of the U.S. and whose native language is singularly English. Since most non-hispanic Americans the people of the Southwest first encountered were English speakers who descended from English or Germans (with some Scots Irish thrown in) "Anglo-Saxon", shortened to "Anglo" was a reasonable descriptor.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,032,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's an old term. The problem is you can't really say "white" because technically hispanics are considered "white" also so no differentiation. In the Southwest the term has long been a way to differentiate residents of the indigenous Hispanic/Indian culture from those whose heritage derives from other parts of the U.S. and whose native language is singularly English. Since most non-hispanic Americans the people of the Southwest first encountered were English speakers who descended from English or Germans (with some Scots Irish thrown in) "Anglo-Saxon", shortened to "Anglo" was a reasonable descriptor.
You said it better than I was able too, CAVA1990. Rep points for you!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,380,043 times
I think the term refers to speakers of the Anglo-Saxon language. That included Blacks and anyone elso who spoke English in days past. Since English has become the de facto language of most of the Hispanics in the area and the state has become more ethnically diverse, the term has come to be synonymous with 'White, non-Hispanic'.

The French use the same convention (though they don't drop the '-Saxon' part) to refer to the English, Irish, Americans, Canadians, Australians, etc.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I think the term refers to speakers of the Anglo-Saxon language. That included Blacks and anyone elso who spoke English in days past..
Kind of hard to parse those since nearly all the outsiders encountered early on during the American period (pre-Civil War) were white and for the most part only spoke English, but perhaps your interpretation is more accurate.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,201,242 times
It doesn't bother me. It makes more sense than 'Caucasian'! I don't have any ancestors who lived in the Caucasus that I know of.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:15 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,486,213 times
I've lived in the Rocky Mountain/Southwest region all my life. As others have posted, the term "Anglo" has long been used to describe non-Hispanic English-speaking people in the region. I hear the term used by both Hispanics and Anglos and, as an "Anglo", I do not in the least find the term offensive--unless, of course, it has a bunch of epithets or derogatory adjectives put in front of it. In that case, any term can be made offensive.

I feel the same way about being called a "gringo." Some Anglos may find that term offensive, and some Hispanics may use it with that intent, but it just doesn't get a rise out of me--I choose not to be offended. I will even self-describe myself as a gringo to some of my Hispanic friends--we get a good laugh out of it and go on.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I feel the same way about being called a "gringo." Some Anglos may find that term offensive, and some Hispanics may use it with that intent, but it just doesn't get a rise out of me--I choose not to be offended. I will even self-describe myself as a gringo to some of my Hispanic friends--we get a good laugh out of it and go on.
Now I do know the origin of that term. During the Mexican war a popular song that the American soldiers would sing had the refrain "Green grows the grass on the Emerald Isle". The Mexicans then dubbed them "gringos".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico