Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,188,483 times

Advertisements

I think the origin and term "Anglo" has a lot more to do with "Anglophone"...a speaker of English language...than any relationship with England or English heritage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:22 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,922,697 times
no use talking to HB but I have to interject that NM and SoCal are two VERY different places.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 105,079,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
If you were to live in New Mexico or Colorado--or about anywhere in the Southwest--I would respectfully suggest that you'd better "buck up, little camper" and grow a thicker skin, because you WILL be called an "Anglo" here, and not just by Hispanics. That is just the way it is. The term is generally NOT invoked to be offensive. If you choose to take it that way, then you will be offended a lot of the time. If you can't live with that, then don't come here to live or visit--that simple.
agreed!!! It certainly isn't an offensive label, just a term often used.

Nita

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM

93 posts, read 171,188 times
Well, the fact remains, lots of people do and will find it offensive. It's not a globally accepted term used for white people, and it never will be. I think it's ignorant, it shows the speaker does not know what the term anglo means. I'll still choose to respect the individual's heritage and culture because in my heart I believe that it the right thing to do. For Example, Brazilians have the right to say they are not Hispanic. And it shows respect for their culture to acknowledge that. And you don't call a Puerto Rican person, Porteguese and tell them not to be so picky should they complain. Having a multicultural society doesn't mean we all become homogenous blobs with no awareness of our heritage.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM

713 posts, read 1,848,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
Well, the fact remains, lots of people do and will find it offensive. It's not a globally accepted term used for white people, and it never will be. I think it's ignorant, it shows the speaker does not know what the term anglo means. I'll still choose to respect the individual's heritage and culture because in my heart I believe that it the right thing to do. For Example, Brazilians have the right to say they are not Hispanic. And it shows respect for their culture to acknowledge that. And you don't call a Puerto Rican person, Porteguese and tell them not to be so picky should they complain. Having a multicultural society doesn't mean we all become homogenous blobs with no awareness of our heritage.
New Mexico is a different world from Massechusetts. This is not a term of disrespect. The police use it to describe someone who is white. I agree with what someone else here said. If it offends you, NM isn't the place for you to visit or live.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:17 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,450,661 times
Quote:
I agree with you, if someone is white and of Celtic, or Basque, or Finnish, or Irish, or Russian descent, the FACT IS they are not Anglo descent, and they have the right to assert that they do not wish to be mislabeled as Anglo.
Celtic, Basque, Finnish, Irish, and Russian Americans don't speak English? Of course they do, that's why they are called 'Anglos' and unless they are very recent immigrants, they are steeped in American culture which is as culturally 'Anglocentric' as it gets outside of England and maybe Australia/NZ.

You know the Amish refer to Celtic, Basques, Finnish, Irish, and Russian Americans as 'English', too. Are the Amish racist?!? (well probably)

For the record, Most descendants of the Celts in the world today speak German, Czech, French and Italian. Certainly not English (or even Gaelic for that matter).

Old 05-28-2010, 02:23 PM

93 posts, read 171,188 times
It looks like I'm getting a crash course in the dumbing down of America.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:19 PM

741 posts, read 2,926,548 times
Quote:
I think those of us that live in here in the SW might hope that you would take it more as a wake up call.

If the worst thing you have to worry about in your life is correctly designating the ethnic heritage of those you meet, and having others return the favor, then you should truly be the subject of envy.

Chap

Old 05-28-2010, 03:29 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,526,471 times
Quote:
No, you're getting a crash course that there is an America outside of the East Coast. Get this straight, I personally don't know anyone in my area of Colorado (or New Mexico), regardless of their heritage, that finds the term "Anglo" offensive.

If somebody really wants to offend you in this region, you will be called some other slang term--either in English or Spanish, and most people know both the English and Spanish derogatory names, regardless of their ancestry.

I will grant you one thing: Westerners, regardless of ancestry, tend to be pretty direct and blunt--it comes from the region's rough frontier heritage. For the most part, I cherish that, because you don't have to guess about where you stand in their mind. So, around this region, if someone calls you an "easily offended Eastern 'gringa'," chances are they mean it.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:35 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,043,934 times
Chaparral

jazzlover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico