Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 08:06 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times

Advertisements

....but if they're Americans, why not just call them that - it really shouldn't matter so much where someone's long ago ancestors are from.

No, it shouldn't, but it does to many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
....but if they're Americans, why not just call them that - it really shouldn't matter so much where someone's long ago ancestors are from.

No, it shouldn't, but it does to many.
Yes and to the point it gets ridiculous. One of my old college friends for example, grew up in the Midwest, most his family has never stepped foot in Mexico, he did but didn't feel comfortable there - nor does he feel comfortable anywhere outside the Midwest USA. They speak no Spanish, speak English with a midwest accent, yet they will call themselves "Mexicans".

Obviously there's nothing wrong with being a "Mexican" but the term belongs to the people of that country, with that country's citizenship. Just like "Anglo" refers to the people of England, or if one wants to use it as a race term, it belongs to a tribe of people -- "anglo-saxons" who settled in a part of Europe and England.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
.....yet they will call themselves "Mexicans".

Well, it's up to the individual as to what they want to call themselves.

When I was in high school (1960s-70s), I had several classmates who were Mexican-American/Hispanic, whatever term you want to use, can't win :-) The point was, they had deep roots in Mexico, maybe only one generation removed. At that time, all were called Mexican, sometimes derogatorily, sometimes not in a derogatory manner at all.

One of those classmates said to me, "I don't know why it bothers some of them to be called Mexican. Why not? It's what we are."

Old 05-08-2010, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,376,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Anglo is an insult term. I've never heard it used without racist undertones.
I hear it all the time used in a non-racist fashion. Having been a white 'minority' virtually my whole life (New Mexico is by far the 'whitest' place I have ever lived) I know when people are addressing me with racist undertones.

Quote:
People who use the word want their own ethnic and cultural heritage respected but they lack all respect for other ethnicities and cultures.
I actually think the word 'White' is by far the worst offender in that regard.

Quote:
It does not mean "English speaking" as there are chicanos who speak English and they are not considered "anglos".

Here is a simple analogy:

Anglo : Hispanic

Anglo is to English speaking / descended from an Anglo-centric culture as Hispanic is to Spanish speaking / descended from Spanish-centric culture

Just as not all Hispanics are descendants of Spanish (European) immigrants, their linguistic heritage, regardless of whether Spanish or English is their first language, and their cultural institutions are, in large part, influenced by Spanish European traditions.

Likewise, just as not all Anglos are descendants of English immigrants, their linguistic heritage and their cultural institutions are, in large part, influenced by English traditions.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
Of course there are near-universally condemned inflammatory words one should not use, but "Anglo" doesn't bother me in the least, and neither does "gringo" if it isn't said hatefully. I agree that calling all Latinos/Latinas "Mexicans" is often incorrect. ABQConvict has it right concerning "racist undertones"; it isn't that hard to tell.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,268,360 times
Gringo sounds funny nowadays - like something out of "The Outlaw Josie Wales".

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM

93 posts, read 170,911 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Anglo is an insult term. I've never heard it used without racist undertones.

It does not mean "English speaking" as there are chicanos who speak English and they are not considered "anglos". It's no different than other racist slur words, meant to categorize people by race but also to imply that all the many various white or European cultures and ethnic heritage are meaningless.

People who use the word want their own ethnic and cultural heritage respected but they lack all respect for other ethnicities and cultures.

Plus it's an ignorant term, used by people who think everyone is either from Mexico or from England.
I agree with you, if someone is white and of Celtic, or Basque, or Finnish, or Irish, or Russian descent, the FACT IS they are not Anglo descent, and they have the right to assert that they do not wish to be mislabeled as Anglo. There is no question that it's disrespectful.

I personally am white and a first generation American and I am respectful of other people's cultural backgrounds. If I mistook a Japanese person for Chinese, I would not tell them they had no right to be offended! I would simply apologize for my mistake. I do tolerate the term white, even though honestly I know white is not really a race, it's just a skin color, but I'll put up with that.

So even if some folks manage to convince themselves that the term Anglo is not offensive, just remember America is not the world folks. Just try heading off to Europe and referring to all white people as Anglo. That's not gona fly folks.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,484,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
I agree with you, if someone is white and of Celtic, or Basque, or Finnish, or Irish, or Russian descent, the FACT IS they are not Anglo descent, and they have the right to assert that they do not wish to be mislabeled as Anglo. There is no question that it's disrespectful.

I personally am white and a first generation American and I am respectful of other people's cultural backgrounds. If I mistook a Japanese person for Chinese, I would not tell them they had no right to be offended! I would simply apologize for my mistake. I do tolerate the term white, even though honestly I know white is not really a race, it's just a skin color, but I'll put up with that.

So even if some folks manage to convince themselves that the term Anglo is not offensive, just remember America is not the world folks. Just try heading off to Europe and referring to all white people as Anglo. That's not gona fly folks.
If you were to live in New Mexico or Colorado--or about anywhere in the Southwest--I would respectfully suggest that you'd better "buck up, little camper" and grow a thicker skin, because you WILL be called an "Anglo" here, and not just by Hispanics. That is just the way it is. The term is generally NOT invoked to be offensive. If you choose to take it that way, then you will be offended a lot of the time. If you can't live with that, then don't come here to live or visit--that simple.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM

741 posts, read 2,923,894 times
This whole discussion is simply a symptom of a much larger disease: political correctness.

People need to get over themselves, and stop getting peeved by every perceived slight that they think is being thrown their way. Words (and ethnic/color designations) are just those: words. As ABQConvict stated, most of us can tell when we are being insulted, and it has little to do the choice of words utilized.

I think many of our more sensitive brethren could learn a thing or two from the following scene:

YouTube - a funny scene from GRAN TORINO

Chap

Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,199,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
That is going way too far. One's exact ancestry cannot be determined by 'just looking'. If no disrespect is intended, none should be taken. If one feels it necessary to correct a descriptor given in error, fine. It seems unnecessarily picky to me.

Chaparral is absolutely right! Consider the TV series All in the Family. It could not possibly be made today without a blizzard of litigation because we have lost the ability to laugh at ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico