Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,917,123 times

Advertisements

The term "Anglo" is disrespectful of the ethnic diversity that exists among the caucasian race.

Then you get back to the fact that in the United States, Caucasians/Whites/Anglos (whatever term you want to use) are often not considered to be "ethinc" at all--nor to have a culture of any kind.

We're considered to be some sort of blank slate, I guess.....cannot win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,241,899 times
As long as have an 'us vs. them' mentality, it will always be this way. Bad neighbors come in all colors.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
As long as have an 'us vs. them' mentality, it will always be this way. Bad neighbors come in all colors.
Yes, they do.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,416,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The term "Anglo" is disrespectful of the ethnic diversity that exists among the caucasian race.

Then you get back to the fact that in the United States, Caucasians/Whites/Anglos (whatever term you want to use) are often not considered to be "ethnic" at all--nor to have a culture of any kind.

We're considered to be some sort of blank slate, I guess.....cannot win.
I personally find this stupid. Every human being belongs to an ethnic group and a culture. I think it's very annoying when someone refers to non-whites as "ethnic" while thinking whites are somehow not. European Americans definitely have a culture. It's Western culture. Any European culture or European-derived culture is considered a Western culture.

Western culture-Wikipedia

People who claim that European Americans do not have a culture and are somehow not "ethnic" are outright ignorant.

"Culture" & "Ethnic" does not equal Non-Whites Only

People should realize that the cultures of Europe are diverse.

Spoiler
I think the term European American is the best descriptor of white Americans of European descent. The term white lumps all Euro-Americans as if they were the same. The term Caucasian is inaccurate to a degree because the term refers to the native peoples from the Caucasus, not Europe directly. The term Anglo is inaccurate because the term refers to anything related to England or anything English. Even though the vast majority of Euro-Americans are monolingual in English, not all Euro-Americans are of English descent. I'm of Scandinavian and French descent; the term Anglo would not describe me correctly.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,450,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
For example, you wouldn't call people of all the different Native American tribes a blanket term such as "Navajos"? Would you?
False analogy. I would not call an Iroquois a Navajo, because an Iroquois has a different cultural upbringing than a Navajo.

If you were to travel to Eastern Europe and refer to the people as "Anglos", they would laugh you out of town to say the least. The term "Anglo" is disrespectful of the ethnic diversity that exists among the caucasian race.[/quote]

Why would I call an Eastern European an Anglo? They don't speak English and their countries's institutions are not derived from the English model. There is nothing Anglo about them.

Kenneth Wojeczewski (a hypothetical Polish-American) from Chicago, I would call an Anglo. He doesn't speak much Polish, he read a lot of Shakespeare and other British authors in High School English class, he understands the relevance of the Magna Carta and Common Law to the American political system.

If our Kenneth spoke a bit of Polish and considered pierogies to be a comfort food and basically had a self image of being of Polish extraction, I would consider him a Polish-American and call him such. However, Until I knew of his background, I would would just call him an Anglo.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:40 PM

People who claim that European Americans do not have a culture and are somehow not "ethnic" are outright ignorant.

Yep--and there are plenty of those running around.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:35 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,416,547 times
Quote:

Yep--and there are plenty of those running around.
Does it bother you when people refer to non-whites as "ethnic"?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
Does it bother you when people refer to non-whites as "ethnic"?
No.

It doesn't even really bother me when they refer to whites as non-ethnic. It's just not true, but it is what it is.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,326,897 times
Quote:
No.

It doesn't even really bother me when they refer to whites as non-ethnic. It's just not true, but it is what it is.
It is true. "White" is not an ethnicity, it's a race. Swedes are white but I don't share much of a cultural heritage with them. Likewise Hispanos or East Coast Jews and Italian-Americans.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It is true. "White" is not an ethnicity, it's a race. Swedes are white but I don't share much of a cultural heritage with them. Likewise Hispanos or East Coast Jews and Italian-Americans.
You're correct in that "white" is not an ethnicity.

But we're still often all lumped together (regardless of ethnicity) and seen as having no ethnicity nor culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico