Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:00 PM

974 posts, read 2,184,789 times

Advertisements

One reason for not having huge skyscrapers is that they cost a lot to insure. Considering the actuarial metrics for NOLA, I'd think there would have to be some serious insurance requirements for such an enterprise to take place. And corporate interests would help drive such a thing but didn't a NOLA lose a large O&G company (like Exxon) to Houtson? Seems like big corporate HQ's would be needed for such a thing.

Just thinking out loud, FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:16 PM

643 posts, read 977,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
One reason for not having huge skyscrapers is that they cost a lot to insure. Considering the actuarial metrics for NOLA, I'd think there would have to be some serious insurance requirements for such an enterprise to take place. And corporate interests would help drive such a thing but didn't a NOLA lose a large O&G company (like Exxon) to Houtson? Seems like big corporate HQ's would be needed for such a thing.

Just thinking out loud, FWIW.
I'd agree with that. There is a new industry in natural gas that is starting to ramp up and hopefully could replace the oil industry that we lost to houston. I don't understand how we lost the oil industry when most of the platforms in the gulf are in Louisianas waters/territory.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconley9922 View Post
I'd agree with that. There is a new industry in natural gas that is starting to ramp up and hopefully could replace the oil industry that we lost to houston. I don't understand how we lost the oil industry when most of the platforms in the gulf are in Louisianas waters/territory.
Texas and Louisiana have nearly the same. It's easy to understand. People where fighting to move to Houston and politics weren't as corrupt.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Thx for the insight

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM

974 posts, read 2,184,789 times
Timing is everything too. A few years ago when I did more corporate travel, I'd often hear biz colleagues talk about NOLA in a less-than-favorable light concerning the politics at the time. This was during Nagin's tenure and he did the city no favors with his odd-methods and P.R. gaffes. The general consensus I'd get from business meetings is that while there was opportunity with post-Katrina incentives, the impression was that NOLA (and Louisiana in general) presented more risks than rewards judging by who gets elected, how well they performed and what the total net results were / are years after Katrina. And there were just too many "red flags" regarding the post-Katrina effort to rebuild NOLA. Too many stories of incompetence, corruption and odd-dealings. People in Louisiana have grown accustomed to this but I can tell you that from first-hand experiences that people in boardrooms across the country pay close attention to those details.

Yet Houston seems to not have near as bad a rep for bad politics and corruption that NOLA has. Even though it may not be without faults, the O&G industry is looking at Houston as their corporate town and with good reason. Bottomline from those I had dealings with was that there are waay too many "variables" in certain business dealings with NOLA and Louisiana.

Also keep in mind that natural gas development in Louisiana boomed back in 2008 when price per MCF peaked at around $13....creating an "acquisition frenzy of mineral leasing"...however... of the 3 big players: Chesapeake, Petrohawk, Encana..... only 2 are still around...with Petrohawk going broke due to overextending their debt due to the lease-frenzy...they were bought out by BHP Billiton. When Nat Gas dropped like a stone to around $3 MCF, rigs pulled up and went to Eagle-ford, Tx or up north to the Dakotas, taking most of the O&G jobs from NW La. with them. Nat Gas futures are said to remain below $5 MCF for the foreseeable future (10+ yrs out). For O&G companies to drill for more (Dry) Nat Gas, the cost will have to be better than $5 MCF for them to recoup production costs. Right now (wet) Nat Gas is more desirable but Oil is what everyone's after again with the cost of Oil over $100 a barrel.

Local corporate offices in La. are mostly regional hubs.... this is good but not great as compared with major corporate campuses like those in Houston, Dallas, etc. Given the internet-age we live in ....it makes sense from an operational perspective to keep corporate hubs in metro areas that already have a well-established corporate community and use less expensive hub operations for where exploration and development takes place. Because due to the fickle nature of the times we live in, it just makes sense.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Well hopefully since we have another Mayor, things will change for the better ...politics here need to change tho

Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM

639 posts, read 820,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's too much room in the core to think about spreading anything out.
I think if NOLA wanted to they could spread out though as I know for a fact the Northshore, N.O. East and the Westbank can hold ALOT more people as well, I'mm talking hundreds of thousands. But I feel what your saying though .

Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I like hustle and bustle traffic.. lol. Especially when the city is having an event (ie..esscence fest) and canal street is thick with traffic, I go down there just to be part of it and see the people.
Me too. Imagine what the city would be like if it was like that everyday. Wow!!

Old 02-19-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Me too. Imagine what the city would be like if it was like that everyday. Wow!!
Ikr..that would be on some N.Y. stuff

Old 02-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Ikr..that would be on some N.Y. stuff

No Doubt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans