Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 05:48 AM

145 posts, read 274,086 times

Advertisements

There has been one trans woman killed in NOLA this year.

New Orleans Sees Fifth Trans Woman of Color Murdered in U.S. in 2015 | Advocate.com

By the way, Im also a trans woman from Chicago living in New Orleans. Theres quite a few of us living out here! If you need trans-friendly housing, check out the New Orleans Qu33r Housing Facebook group:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/150571361803273/

Thats how Ive found all three of the houses Ive lived in here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 PM

84 posts, read 144,786 times
Thanks violentdisasters I will definitely check that out. How long have you been in NOLA and do you prefer it to Chicago? May I ask why you relocated?

Old 03-11-2015, 06:31 PM

I went to that group but it's closed. It looks like it's only for people looking for rooms or to be roommates. Is that correct? Anyway any other suggestions? Thanks

Old 03-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Hey violentdisasters apparently the group opened up, so now I am a member. I 'm keeping my eye on it to see what comes up as my move date gets closer.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 PM

144 posts, read 205,115 times
No. San Francisco, Houston, Seattle and Atlanta are places you want to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotslady View Post
I am considering moving to New Orleans next year, because I want to live in a warm climate in a picturesque city that is on a major body of water. It must also have affordable housing as I am on a fixed income of social security of about $1,100 a month. My boyfriend maybe moving with me and will have to find work once we get there. I have done some research and the city offers sufficient health services for my transition, hormone replacement therapy, and there is a local LGBT center. I have also seen that there are several bars and night clubs that advertise themselves as transgender friendly. I am told that I am very passable, but I don't believe that anyone is totally passable under strict scrutiny, but I have also been told that I am very pretty. I am a mature trans* woman of color and I am near the completion of my transition I only wish to live a quiet normal life. I know that the south in general is not a good region for transgender people, but I want to be out of the cold north and can't afford California. Is New Orleans a safe and friendly environment for a transsexual woman of color? I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 AM

643 posts, read 977,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGarrison View Post
No. San Francisco, Houston, Seattle and Atlanta are places you want to look at.
How is atlanta on a major body of water? This is an under the bridge troll if I've ever seen one.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

@jimgarrison I can't afford any of those cities you suggested except maybe Atlanta, but Atlanta is not on any major body of water. I've already looked at those places, so this is something I've given considerable time , thought and research too. Thanks anyway though.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:47 AM

@violentdisasters are there any specific neighborhoods where transgender women live in greater numbers, like in Chicago we have Boystown for gays or do they feel comfortable living anywhere? I guess I'm mainly concerned with possible housing discrimination. Thanks

Old 04-08-2015, 02:53 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,997 times
Ha! You know, I live in a pretty conservative neighborhood with 3 transsexuals on 1 block on 1 street. The neighborhood I lived in before? I knew of 6 within that neighborhood. That was a neighborhood that's going under some pretty heavy gentrification atm though. I don't actively look for transsexuals to friend or anything, they just kinda show up in life by luck I guess. But trust me, you'll be pretty surprised.

I've seen a whole bunch of transgender people walking down St. Claude from the Industrial Canal to the Quarter, and on Franklin from St. Claude to Claiborne. That's just what I've seen because those are common routes I took to and from work as I've lived here. New Orleans doesn't have gayborhoods, it just has people that don't give a damn about this stuff and a whole lot of exiled family members from the south.

That said, I'd avoid the area the transgender woman got murdered in. Let's just say she's not the only person to die in that exact same spot in recent memory.

“We do believe it was a possible robbery,” Barrere said in an interview. “We believe there were at least two suspects involved in the actual homicide, and we’re pretty confident that they were with a larger group before the murder occurred and that the remaining members of the group may have information about the murder.”

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...r-not-a-factor

As a woman to another woman, I'd really strongly advise you not to walk around Treme at 1:30am.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 04-08-2015 at 03:14 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 02:01 PM

Is Treme the area where the murder took place Mwahfromtheheart? I try not to be out on the street at 1am ever. That's for the insights on life for us in New Orleans. In some respects it's the same in Chicago and you never know when you'll come across one of us, but it's funny I think we can always spot one another no matter how "passable" (i hate that term) we are. It's nice to know NOLA is like a sanctuary, an oasis, in the south for our people who need shelter. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans