Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:34 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
It's not necessary. Mardi Gras wasn't you. You aren't the first person I've come across that didn't care for Mardi Gras. You have to like to party, you have to like crowds, you have to be open to gay people, you have to be a serious seeker of fun through interaction with others, you have to like complete interaction with others, etc. I'm glad you came. And I'm glad you gave it a shot. And I'm glad you realized it isn't for you. When it isn't for you, you can be quite miserable with the experience. Don't read me wrong. My own parents live in New Orleans and don't care for Mardi Gras. They left town and went to the MS Gulf coast for the day. I have quite a few friends that leave town and go skiing in Colorado. And remember, only 50% of those that live in the New Orleans Metro area even partake in one parade. Half of the city doesn't even participate. My sister went shopping for the day. It wasn't for you. It's not that big of a deal. I'm impressed you gave it a shot. Some love it, some don't. You don't. No biggie. Seriously. Maybe one day you can try New Orleans again when it isn't Mardi Gras and you'll see how it is here during "normal times." I don't know where you went or who you met. I do know that New Orleans is completely different than Phoenix and Tucson. I've been there. You didn't connect with New Orleans. You aren't the first. Some connect and understand and some don't. Just like you said....It's like people. New Orleans and SierraAZ just don't work. We're laid back in this city---real laid back. I'm truly not offended. That's what you need to realize. I understand. You aren't the first that could't make the connection work. We know all don't connect, but, we appreciate your visit. The vibes here are unusually strong and we know that--you have to catch that vibe. It can be hard and if you don't, we still love ya! Come back some time.
It's not about Mardi Gras, alon. Actually I kinda enjoyed that. I also had 2 full days outside of it. As I said, I'm a European and the lifestyle in Phoenix and Tucson is not my lifestyle. That's the reason I've always had this romantic notion about NOLA and desire to visit. To me it's way far removed from Europe. It's just that voicing my opinions on this local forum would be offensive and I don't wanna do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM

126 posts, read 471,637 times
Quote:
It's not necessary. Mardi Gras wasn't you. You aren't the first person I've come across that didn't care for Mardi Gras. You have to like to party, you have to like crowds, you have to be open to gay people, you have to be a serious seeker of fun through interaction with others, you have to like complete interaction with others, etc. I'm glad you came. And I'm glad you gave it a shot. And I'm glad you realized it isn't for you. When it isn't for you, you can be quite miserable with the experience. Don't read me wrong. My own parents live in New Orleans and don't care for Mardi Gras. They left town and went to the MS Gulf coast for the day. I have quite a few friends that leave town and go skiing in Colorado. And remember, only 50% of those that live in the New Orleans Metro area even partake in one parade. Half of the city doesn't even participate. My sister went shopping for the day. It wasn't for you. It's not that big of a deal. I'm impressed you gave it a shot. Some love it, some don't. You don't. No biggie. Seriously. Maybe one day you can try New Orleans again when it isn't Mardi Gras and you'll see how it is here during "normal times." I don't know where you went or who you met. I do know that New Orleans is completely different than Phoenix and Tucson. I've been there. You didn't connect with New Orleans. You aren't the first. Some connect and understand and some don't. Just like you said....It's like people. New Orleans and SierraAZ just don't work. We're laid back in this city---real laid back. I'm truly not offended. That's what you need to realize. I understand. You aren't the first that could't make the connection work. We know all don't connect, but, we appreciate your visit. The vibes here are unusually strong and we know that--you have to catch that vibe. It can be hard and if you don't, we still love ya! Come back some time.
BTW....clearly if someone is annoyed about waiting for a ferry ride because Zulu is arriving is definitely not having a good time and it truly waiting for time to pass. Seems uptight for Mardi Gras, but, maybe you don't get it. At Mardi Gras you don't worry about how long it takes the ferry to cross the river. You're mentality wasn't in it from the start it seems.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not about Mardi Gras, alon. Actually I kinda enjoyed that. I also had 2 full days outside of it. As I said, I'm a European and the lifestyle in Phoenix and Tucson is not my lifestyle. That's the reason I've always had this romantic notion about NOLA and desire to visit. To me it's way far removed from Europe. It's just that voicing my opinions on this local forum would be offensive and I don't wanna do that.
Lay it out....you can't offend New Orleanians. Just make sure it is real and not prudish. Tell us what happened. You can't offend us. That almost seems snobby. Place your concerns on the board. Were you arrested? Did someone pick-pocket you? Offend US. No teasing. What happened to you at Mardi Gras?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
BTW....clearly if someone is annoyed about waiting for a ferry ride because Zulu is arriving is definitely not having a good time and it truly waiting for time to pass. Seems uptight for Mardi Gras, but, maybe you don't get it. At Mardi Gras you don't worry about how long it takes the ferry to cross the river. You're mentality wasn't in it from the start it seems.
Well, you're making me say what I didn't wanna say... Sorry. I could not stand the stench all over, the dilapidation, the neglect... This has nothing to do with Katrina (the areas I was in were not even affected) or Mardi Gras. And yes, I was ready to leave at any given time. Shoot me! I find the whole city, food, etc. highly overrated. The locals are not particularly friendly, either, and a reverse racism seems to be in place.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:09 AM

LOL....I thought that was it. You are West Coast. You think New Orleans is nasty at Mardi Gras? LOL....SO DO WE!!! It's ashamed that you came to the city at Mardi Gras. Reverse discrimination is an issue, but, it is more prevalent at Mardi Gras. You don't offend me. You're being honest. But, you remind me of what we DON'T want to be in New Orleans. And we aren't. You're motivations are like the rest of America's. And we don't have those motivations in New Orleans. We love life, not money. I'm not offended. That is why I said you couldn't offend New Orleanians. Without me sounding snobby, because I'm not, but, we've come across individuals like you before. Locals not friendly? You didn't meet too many. You didn't come Uptown. New Orleans is a city that is in the midst of over $85 Billion in investment (only $10 Billion is public money). You speak of dilapidation? Welcome to an urban America city that is older than the country that was hit by a horrible natural disaster 4 years ago. We're working on it and progressing well. You said it, and you didn't hurt me or us. We're laid back. Things that are important to us in life aren't for others. Life is real here. It is real. Material longings are an afterthought. Those things are simple to us. Spiritual well being is what is important to us. Come back in a few months when I plan on posting another photo thread of life in this city. Unfortunately, (and don't take this the wrong way), but, we view people like you as snobs and viewing life in ways that we pride ourselves in not viewing that way. But, you get a Mardi Gras pass, since this was your first visit. You missed the boat on this visit or you came with the wrong attitude (which is common from those from the West). I'll give you a little New Orleans as I close out and go to bed--still love ya! Come back and contact me. I can turn your opinion around. Good night!

Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,392,525 times
I can definitely vouch for the stinch that can be found/smelled during Mardi Gras. It reminds me of the film of party gravy on a college apartment floor the morning after a big party. As much fun as those parties were, it always sucked having to clean it up. Luckily for us, we don't have to clean the streets up after Mardi Gras. It's been several years since my last Mardi Gras in Nola, but I definitely plan on making it to a future one. A lot of my friends from central MS and the MS, AL, and FL coast go down there every year, and I always feel like I'm missing out.

I have to agree that New Orleans is very different during Mardi Gras compared to the rest of the year, especially since a large portion of the crowd during Mardi Gras are not even from New Orleans. I enjoy the serenity and funkiness of Magazine St in the Garden District myself, but I also like trips to the French Quarter and downtown as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans