Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 05:06 PM

36 posts, read 56,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soontobehomeowner View Post
I had my walk through 2 weeks ago, and I decided to get an inspector. I chose one from a list that NHS provided. I have always said that even if I bought new construction I would hire an inspector. I read everyone's suggestions, about looking for scratches on the island, open and closing doors and that's what I did and I let him do whatever it was he was doing. As it turned out it was the best $250.00 I have spent, 2 reasons, there were 2 tiny dents on the refrigerator that I would not have seen until I moved in, and he was very impressed with the workmanship in the apt. ex: solid closet doors, w/3 hinges not just 2. things the average person may not pay attention to. I received the inspection report w/pictures, in my in my email the next morning. I left my walk thru feeling like I made the right decision in choosing this building. Priceless. If anyone is interested, his name is John Espoisito House detective. My apartment was not the only one he has inspected in the bldg. I don't have his card on me now, I can supply his number later if anyone is interested.
Soontobehomeonwer,

Can you give me the contact information for your inspector.
NHS is suggesting I get the apartment inspected. I think we did a great job at the
Initial walkthrough but we might have missed something that the inspector could catch or just
confirm our inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM

49 posts, read 79,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanti924 View Post
I agree plus I'm not a handy person. This is what I did for the bathroom. I'm not sure on what to do with the huge windows. Did you also use the tension rod for your windows?
Yes for both rooms. I really don't want any holes in my first apartment yet, but for the living room No, for that I'm going to go to a lumber yard on 106 and buy a crom rod that is the length of the window and screw it on in three places. I have my uncle do it for me, he works in construction. He told me its going to be same job as they did in the closet.
Also check this out if you want to do it your self http://m.wikihow.com/Put-Anchor-Screws-in-a-Wall
Shows you step by step.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:40 PM

47 posts, read 84,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanti924 View Post
I agree plus I'm not a handy person. This is what I did for the bathroom. I'm not sure on what to do with the huge windows. Did you also use the tension rod for your windows?
Are you saying there is no shower curtain rod?

For those of you who want to hire a dependable handyman, call Lou DeGuara (631) 831-0489. He will help you with small or large jobs. Super nice and fair with his pricing.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:59 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,102,448 times
Quote:
I believe the studs are aluminum and not wood but I might be wrong.

The metal studs are invariably galvanized sheet steel, not alumninum. Wood is rarely used on new construction because it cannot be fireproof.

Buy a stud-finder, a drill, and a box of drywall screws, 1 and a half inches, and a couple #2 Phillips drivers, and you can hang elephants on your walls as long as you drill into the studs.

If you have all 16 inch studs your job is easy. I was having trouble finding studs and I asked the super "What are the chances that the studs are 16 inches on center?" Without missing a beat he answered "Zero."

Be VERY careful not to hit a water piipe, a gas pipe, or an electrical conduit. Easier said than done.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM

184 posts, read 334,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home3 View Post
Soontobehomeonwer,

Can you give me the contact information for your inspector.
NHS is suggesting I get the apartment inspected. I think we did a great job at the
Initial walkthrough but we might have missed something that the inspector could catch or just
confirm our inspection.
John Esposito, the house detective
718-318-1263

you can google him as well...I also used him. It isnt a suggestion to use an inspector from NHS, it's a requirement. He will take pics and email them a complete report. Just supply him with the contact persons name and he'll do the rest. I did my inspection myself only to find out the next day that NHS was requiring an inspection from a licensed HUB registered inspector so I had to call him. It's $250 and he has a good relationship with the mgmt company. You don't have to be present for that inspection only if you want to be...he actually found something I missed that needed to be repairs in the bathroom so I'm glad it worked out since it could have cost me a few hundred dollars in plumbing down the road.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The metal studs are invariably galvanized sheet steel, not alumninum. Wood is rarely used on new construction because it cannot be fireproof.

Buy a stud-finder, a drill, and a box of drywall screws, 1 and a half inches, and a couple #2 Phillips drivers, and you can hang elephants on your walls as long as you drill into the studs.

If you have all 16 inch studs your job is easy. I was having trouble finding studs and I asked the super "What are the chances that the studs are 16 inches on center?" Without missing a beat he answered "Zero."

Be VERY careful not to hit a water piipe, a gas pipe, or an electrical conduit. Easier said than done.
Correct...they are steel...sad because I knew that...grrrr.

Actually there should be no water or gas lines except in bath/kitchen areas...as far as the electrical conduits, that is exactly where you will find your studs, since they will be attached to the stud. You should be able to measure off from there to find other studs.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM

Question....does everyone's bathroom door swing out? and not into the bathroom? My unit has some disability features and I'm wondering if that is another one...

Old 04-27-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
Question....does everyone's bathroom door swing out? and not into the bathroom? My unit has some disability features and I'm wondering if that is another one...
My bathroom door also swings out. What other disability features do you have? I haven't though about that but now that you mention it I'm trying to remember.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshland View Post
John Esposito, the house detective
718-318-1263

you can google him as well...I also used him. It isnt a suggestion to use an inspector from NHS, it's a requirement. He will take pics and email them a complete report. Just supply him with the contact persons name and he'll do the rest. I did my inspection myself only to find out the next day that NHS was requiring an inspection from a licensed HUB registered inspector so I had to call him. It's $250 and he has a good relationship with the mgmt company. You don't have to be present for that inspection only if you want to be...he actually found something I missed that needed to be repairs in the bathroom so I'm glad it worked out since it could have cost me a few hundred dollars in plumbing down the road.
Thank you Marshland!
I called John and already scheduled my inspection.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 PM

49 posts, read 79,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayGal View Post
Are you saying there is no shower curtain rod?

For those of you who want to hire a dependable handyman, call Lou DeGuara (631) 831-0489. He will help you with small or large jobs. Super nice and fair with his pricing.
The only thing when you hire someone to do anything for your apartment they need to show insurance. So be careful, the super will ask for that. I'm not saying don't hire him or anything. I know when my uncle came to do my apartment he told me we need paper work..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery