Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 06:30 AM

79 posts, read 201,660 times

Advertisements

Yea that would be wack, but you will know when you see it. So sit tight lol !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:53 AM

48 posts, read 139,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustle View Post
I filled out an application with NYCHA in January 2009 and was given a priority of W4. I then went in for my interview on September 2009 and because of a technical hold up with my background check was not found eligible until July 2010 at which point I was placed on a borough wide waiting list for Manhattan because my priority was upgraded to N1. It is now July 2011 and I'm still waiting to get an apartment. NYCHA says that because my priority is N1 I am on a waiting list for all Manhattan developments and the one that has a opening for a studio ( 0 Bedrooms ) apartment I'll be contacted for. Does anyone know how much longer I'll have to wait and how will I be contacted or any advice, knowledge or positive words? Help!
So, I finally got information after 2 weeks that I were selected for Laguardia Houses on the Lower East Side and I go in to view my apartment on 5.1.14. It's said to be one of the safer developments and over looks the water by the FDR Drive. So I do hope I like my apartment and it has a view over the water. Also, I wanted to be close to Brooklyn but in Manhattan and I'm literally minutes away by train. Often pictured myself taking long walks by the water with my son and my lady face . Let the furniture shopping begin. Lol Thank you Jeaus

Good luck to Everyone! I will update you guys and answers any questions you all my have.

ADVICE: Stay on top of your NYCHA application and the process. Register and check the self service website for updates, contact the customer contact center and sometimes, just go to the walk-in office to see if you can get more detailed information on your status. Also make sure you are returning those canvas letters and when you submit documents, follow up. I never ever just sent in documents but sent them in by certified mail so I have a tracking number and always followed up to make sure they we received. More over, don't be afraid to ask for help... Everyone won't care but some will and do their very best to help you. Finally and most importantly, PRAY! You have to go hard for yourself because no one cares about you like you.

Last edited by TyHustler; 04-29-2014 at 07:01 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 09:24 PM

13 posts, read 61,402 times
I live in Smith Houses, not far from LaGuardia. I moved here in Nov. If you have any questions let me know! Glad it's working out for you.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl35 View Post
I live in Smith Houses, not far from LaGuardia. I moved here in Nov. If you have any questions let me know! Glad it's working out for you.
Hey @Sunnygirl35 thank you. What is the area really like. I hear it's one of the safest and cleanest development? What are the pros and cons, what to expect. What is the are like for kids and adult enjoyment. Any advice?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:39 PM

So far I have had no safety issues really to speak of. Although I have been told things happen from time to time, not since I have been here. It is very quiet and I live in the back on South St by the river. I came from the Bronx, my neighborhood over there was definitely much less desirable. There are a lot of elderly people who live at Smith and I've heard it is the same at LaGuardia. Also, a significant Asian population.. Just to give you an idea. I see all types of people and most people are friendly and speak to my children etc and seem to be genuinely interested in what is going on and keeping things clean here etc... Which is far better than what I have heard about some other developments. Of course there are always exceptions everywhere you go.

There are tons of parks here for kids, there is a rec center down by you and one over here by Smith that have free after school programs. My kids go to PS 126 and I love it, if you find out what your school is let me know because I have also heard positive things about other schools in this area. Your development is a few blocks up Madison from me, walking distance, but know NYC it's probably a different school.

Let's see, trains are kind of a walk. I'm not that far from Fulton St where all the trains are A,C, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, J, Z... It would be a little further from you, but you will be close to the M22 and m15 bus which you could take to Fulton quickly if you need a train... Otherwise I think it is the F train that will be right by you.

There are several decent supermarkets in the area that all will deliver but be prepared if you are coming from outside Manhattan that they are more expensive... But you probably knew that lol.

Anyway I feel like I am going on and on but happy to answer any questions you have just let me know.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:42 PM

Oh and the South St Seaport and the Fulton St area have a lot of things to do for adults, lots of restaurants and shopping... It's a really trendy area. Of course you are right at Chinatown but I don't do much over there. It's is a really quick train ride to Union Square and Brooklyn.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygirl35 View Post
Oh and the South St Seaport and the Fulton St area have a lot of things to do for adults, lots of restaurants and shopping... It's a really trendy area. Of course you are right at Chinatown but I don't do much over there. It's is a really quick train ride to Union Square and Brooklyn.
Thank you! All this information is good... Got me wishing you had kept writing. Lol... it's the area I wanted to be in and am very surprised and thankful to God I am this close to Brooklyn as most of my family is in Brooklyn including my son and I want to be close to him but well enough in Manhattan to be close to midtown.

Jus write anything you can think of as I know nothing about the area and would like to know as much as I can. How about laundromats, banks (chase), police presence and how is it walking along the FDR drive jogging area by the water. I use to drive by saying I wish I lived by the east river.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:33 PM

79 posts, read 201,660 times
Congrats @ty! I would think the developments down there are "good" and its a plus that you actually wanted to live by that area. I hope you love your apt, and stay blessed!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxmerci View Post
Congrats @ty! I would think the developments down there are "good" and its a plus that you actually wanted to live by that area. I hope you love your apt, and stay blessed!
Thank you! I were driving through the area and telling my brother how nice the area is and being by the water is the icing on the cake, so I hope it's Good. Bless God!

Old 04-30-2014, 06:23 PM

226 posts, read 1,100,203 times
Gurl im so excited for you!!! You deserve it. I know a weight has been lifted off ur shoulders,a peaceful place to stay and hook it up just how u like it lol. Washer and dryer asap like me lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery