Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM

48 posts, read 139,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofthesystem View Post
Thx! I've sent emails to John Rhea actually did again tonight so hopefully something comes thru!
Ok... But are you aware that John B. Rhea hasn't had any involvement with NYCHA since March 3, 2014. The new person is Shola Olatoye, Chair & Chief Executive Officer of New York City Housing Authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 AM

3 posts, read 14,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groc05 View Post
Hi, everyone. I read trough all 22 pages and it's been very helpful, so much information has been given, it's so hard to get answers from the people that work at the center, so thank you. I applied August 2009, my family size changed on October 2011 and they told me to reapply to add my son. I did and got an eligibility interview February 3, 2014. I got assigned a W1 priority. February 28, 2014, my status changed in their website to Dev Selection Pending with a room size 5 and it said "The processing of your application has been completed and you are now required to select a development. A letter has been mailed to you listing your choices." I kept calling to find out about the letter and they said they were delayed on creating this letter and the list of choices. Finally, got the letter in the mail on April 24, 2014. Send in my choice for Amsterdam Houses in Manhattan on April 25, 2014. Now, I've been calling to find out any updates, they are saying my selection is under review. Has anybody experienced this review of your development choice? Why would they review a choice of develop if the choices were given to me? It's so confusing. Anyways, everyone good luck if you are still waiting. Rent is getting ridiculous where we are plus utilities and with a toddler and twins on the way, I am feeling very anxious. Praying I get certified soon and that I get called to see an apartment.
Hi again. So after checking everyday online to see if my status changed, it finally did. As of today 5/22/14 my application status says Certified and it shows the development and its information. So exciting!!. Now the waiting time begins for our apartment. At least now I can go directly to the development and speak to the manager and explain my situation. My twins are due in August so I'm pretty sure that with a W1 priority I won't be getting it by then but maybe the manager seeing that I will have two newborns and a 2 year old will try to help me. I'll keep you all updated on how it goes

Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 AM

5 posts, read 22,946 times
Thx I did realize that as I was sending the email. I'm gonna go make a visit to the management office if my development today

Old 05-31-2014, 09:40 AM

26 posts, read 88,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustler View Post
Hey, go to the NYCHA website and click on contact. Go to the area where it say Board Members and send them an email and also send one to the CEO of Nycha and explain your situation, need and how you feel about how NYCHA is handling your situation. Also, you can make a complaint to 311 which should help. You can also ask a manager at the walk-in center to do some research into your account. Also, you said you make good money... So I would also suggest renting a studio in the mean time as i rented a room and then an apartment though it was difficult but it help you to maintain your health, family and sanity. Others have done the same . It takes really long to get an apartment as the economy is bad and more people are seeking public housing/low income house and less people are moving out. Also sadly there are 4 or 5 priorities higher than yours and preference is usually given to higher priority. I had the second highest priority and I applied 5 years, interviewed 3.5 and certified 2.9 and selected 2 weeks before I got an apartment and these are all steps of the process to getting and apartment.

Question: is anyone in your family pregnant or disable (the disability can be as simple as walking with a cane to blind or cripple) and can get a doctor to fill out the Nycha mobility form stating so?

Also, since you have a child maybe try to get ACS, safe horizon, legal aide society to advocate for you. A lot of these agencies along with others can guide you or help you with identifying why NYCHA SHOULD GIVE YOUR APPLICATION PRECIDENT. These agencies are in the support of family especially where children or the elderly is concerned, even ACS. I actually got Safe Horizon to advocate for me and it helped tremendously. I know it's a lot but if you don't help yourself... No one will. You say you read all 22 pages then you should have seen my post a long with other who finally got into NYCHA and read our story. It's not an easy process but worth it, especially if you have little to no options. GoodLuck
Hi TY... Sorry for responding so late... Nope no ones is pregnant or disable in NY household.I did, however, took my grandmother off my application bc she's interested in applying on her own. I do make good money but I can't afford an apartment for what I make, especially when I have to pay for medical insurance and my daughter's child care. I don't know if I could have any of the programs you mentioned advocate for me bc I was told they help domestic violence cases. Mine is not a domestic violence case. I constantly fight with family and it has become physical but not to the extreme. I was told since I took off NY grandmother off the application, I have a better chance of getting called quicker bc now I'm applying for a one bedroom. Not sure if that's true. Any other info or concerns will be highly appreciated.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNYC199 View Post
Hi TY... Sorry for responding so late... Nope no ones is pregnant or disable in NY household.I did, however, took my grandmother off my application bc she's interested in applying on her own. I do make good money but I can't afford an apartment for what I make, especially when I have to pay for medical insurance and my daughter's child care. I don't know if I could have any of the programs you mentioned advocate for me bc I was told they help domestic violence cases. Mine is not a domestic violence case. I constantly fight with family and it has become physical but not to the extreme. I was told since I took off NY grandmother off the application, I have a better chance of getting called quicker bc now I'm applying for a one bedroom. Not sure if that's true. Any other info or concerns will be highly appreciated.
Your grandmother will have a greater chance of getting an apartment as she'll be applying for a senior building and they usually have vacancies because of death. You will Aldo have a good chance for an apartment because you have a small child. However, I would say expect to wait up to a year but don't put all your baskets in housing. It's not everyone that applies get an apartment. I would say, try renting a small studio apartment for you and your daughter as you make good money so you can be safe and likewise your daughter because that's most important.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 56,771 times
Hello everyone I have some good news. I was certified today exactly two months after my interview. I'm vdv n1 priority but yesterday, I did call safe horizon to inform them of the long wait for pending certification since my interview which was April 7th 2014. Well today my status was updated and I thank GOD. Now I'm in a borough wide waiting list for the BRonx for a two bedroom. How long does it take for vdv to get called to see an apt??

Old 06-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunygrad View Post
Hello everyone I have some good news. I was certified today exactly two months after my interview. I'm vdv n1 priority but yesterday, I did call safe horizon to inform them of the long wait for pending certification since my interview which was April 7th 2014. Well today my status was updated and I thank GOD. Now I'm in a borough wide waiting list for the BRonx for a two bedroom. How long does it take for vdv to get called to see an apt??
The Bronx has the shortest wait time of all 5 boroughs and with your status and room size, under 6 months. Just be sure to stay on top of your progress. GoodLuck

Old 06-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanks @ tyhustler for starting this blog and keeping everyone so informed. I really hope I get called soon being that I'm desperate to get out if the shelter system with my kids. How's your new place? I envision you at peace enjoying the water. Your all set finally and i wish you and your family the best. I can't wait until it's my victory to claim also -stay blessed

Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunygrad View Post
Thanks @ tyhustler for starting this blog and keeping everyone so informed. I really hope I get called soon being that I'm desperate to get out if the shelter system with my kids. How's your new place? I envision you at peace enjoying the water. Your all set finally and i wish you and your family the best. I can't wait until it's my victory to claim also -stay blessed
You're welcome. My new place is great... It's the projects without the feel of being in the projects. It's named after the guy who started NYCHA so they treat it like 1 NYCHA Plaza.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM

@ tyhustler
Quick question, do you know anything about borough management offices having information about vdv applicants wait time for apartments. I just got this piece of info from a call center rep. My case worker said nycha called her and told her I wouldn't be moving any time soon!? I called the Bronx call center and was informed that I could call the " borough management office" to see where my name is on the list for borough wide vacancy. Can you shed any light on this info if you have any? I'm definitely calling safe horizon Monday morning to help push my application.

- thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery