Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 56,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustler View Post
You're welcome. My new place is great... It's the projects without the feel of being in the projects. It's named after the guy who started NYCHA so they treat it like 1 NYCHA Plaza.

@ tyhustler
Quick question, do you know anything about borough management offices having information about vdv applicants wait time for apartments. I just got this piece of info from a call center rep. My case worker said nycha called her and told her I wouldn't be moving any time soon!? I called the Bronx call center and was informed that I could call the " borough management office" to see where my name is on the list for borough wide vacancy. Can you shed any light on this info if you have any? I'm definitely calling safe horizon Monday morning to help push my application.

- thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 05:27 PM

48 posts, read 139,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunygrad View Post
@ tyhustler
Quick question, do you know anything about borough management offices having information about vdv applicants wait time for apartments. I just got this piece of info from a call center rep. My case worker said nycha called her and told her I wouldn't be moving any time soon!? I called the Bronx call center and was informed that I could call the " borough management office" to see where my name is on the list for borough wide vacancy. Can you shed any light on this info if you have any? I'm definitely calling safe horizon Monday morning to help push my application.

- thanks
The borough office cannot help you with anything unless you already live in public housing or you've been selected for an apartment and need to know the development as the self service website doesn't say and it has to have been 2 weeks. When they tell you to call the Borough of Manhattan Management office, it's a blow off. Also, don't listen to what they say about whether you will get I to housing and/or how soon. They really have no idea. The only person that can tell you where you are on the list is the head of the tenancy department at 250 broadway and that is very unlikely to happen. You will get it soon from what I know, just be patient and follow up and return all canvas letter or any info they request promptly and by certified mail. It's not going to happen tomorrow and I don't believe it will happen under 3/4 months but under 6 or under a year is very likely and yea, reaching out to anyone that will advocate for you can only help. I would have never got an apartment without the help of advocates.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustler View Post
The borough office cannot help you with anything unless you already live in public housing or you've been selected for an apartment and need to know the development as the self service website doesn't say and it has to have been 2 weeks. When they tell you to call the Borough of Manhattan Management office, it's a blow off. Also, don't listen to what they say about whether you will get I to housing and/or how soon. They really have no idea. The only person that can tell you where you are on the list is the head of the tenancy department at 250 broadway and that is very unlikely to happen. You will get it soon from what I know, just be patient and follow up and return all canvas letter or any info they request promptly and by certified mail. It's not going to happen tomorrow and I don't believe it will happen under 3/4 months but under 6 or under a year is very likely and yea, reaching out to anyone that will advocate for you can only help. I would have never got an apartment without the help of advocates.

Thanks again for responding promptly. She really tried to dishearten me when she said that " well it won't be this month" smh. With the human race you have to expect jealousy and even hate sometimes, it's just a fact if life. I would love to know who " told" her that. Anyhow, on Monday I will be informing my worker from Safe Horizon verbatim of what this worker told me. NYCHA denied my vdv priority upgrade since August 2013. I went to Safe Horizon in March 2014 they wrote and advocacy letter for me I took it to NYCHA and secured an eligibility interview April 2014. So have I been waiting one year or two months? It's so complicated.
-thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 12:11 PM

Is it true that if you have a child and share custody with the other parent the child cannot be added to your lease?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunygrad View Post
Is it true that if you have a child and share custody with the other parent the child cannot be added to your lease?
No! In any joint custody arrangement one parent is given physical custody and the other visitation, the same applies for a sole custody situation (this is the law). Therefore, the parent that has the right to physical custody of the child he/she has first right to have that child on his/her lease or can waive that right to the other parent (with or without notifying NYCHA). In the event both parents apply for NYCHA/Section 8 the same rule applies because both parents cannot use the same child as the child can only live in one place at a time. In the event there are 2 or more children, then one parent can have all the children on his/her lease or have 1 or more child(ren) on each lease in the event both parents are applying for NYCHA (with or without notifying NYCHA). The reason you don't have to notify NYCHA is because in all honesty as long as the occupants fall in the parent/child (provider/dependent) guideline, NYCHA could care less if the child lives with which parent. Never-the-less, NYCHA will act in full respect of the Family Court Judgement and so if the custodial parent or the parent that has physical custody as in a joint custody situation request to have that child removed from the application or lease of the parent that doesn't have primary /physically custody at the request of the primary care giver/parent once custody is proven, NYCHA will do just that.

This also applies to the rare situation where both parents have joint custody and physical custody is Shared (6 months of the year with one parent and the other 6 months with the other parent) still, only one parent can have the child on there application/lease but this is to be worked out between the parents or precedent is given to whomever has physical custody at the time of applying or lease signing.

I know because this is my situation to a T. Good Luck!

Old 06-24-2014, 07:51 AM

18 posts, read 46,301 times
hi I just got certified from nycha outreach program for the taylor-wythe houses in Brooklyn 6/17/2014. it took six years for an interview. well this place I live now just got to unbearable I am trying to stay humble because I have my son to think about. it seems like I will never leave this house but I pray to leave soon can anyone tell me what happens after you get certified and how long does it take to see an apt. they certified me under w3

Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 5,445 times
Hello all. So I have an eligibility interview on the 8th of July. My priority is N0 with a W3 ... How long do you think it would take after my interview to see an apartment? Btw I actually applied for nycha in August 2013 with a N4 priority I think... But then i happened to be referred thru hpd this month & then bam. There it was an interview for July 8th. That was pretty fast.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcrosby232 View Post
Hello all. So I have an eligibility interview on the 8th of July. My priority is N0 with a W3 ... How long do you think it would take after my interview to see an apartment? Btw I actually applied for nycha in August 2013 with a N4 priority I think... But then i happened to be referred thru hpd this month & then bam. There it was an interview for July 8th. That was pretty fast.
I say maybe in 6 months... Most people with a homeless priority and a reference from an agency that advocates for the homeless are the fastest to get an apartment. I've seen an average of 3 to 4 months but I would stay around 6 months. However, since less people are leaving public housing I would round it off to a year at worst. Good Luck

Old 06-27-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmary View Post
hi I just got certified from nycha outreach program for the taylor-wythe houses in Brooklyn 6/17/2014. it took six years for an interview. well this place I live now just got to unbearable I am trying to stay humble because I have my son to think about. it seems like I will never leave this house but I pray to leave soon can anyone tell me what happens after you get certified and how long does it take to see an apt. they certified me under w3
W3 priority is almost the last priority before W4 which are working family priorities. It may take a long time to get an apartment with that priority so I really can't say confidently.

Never-the-less, this is what I know. NYCHA Outreach Program is set up to fill developments that people don't usually want to live in and it could be for any reason from location to safety, so don't panic. This is also done with Staten Island developments because not much people want to live in Staten Island. However, what I do know is that with the out reach program it's really fast to get an apartment, I've heard of people getting an apartment in 3 months but I don't know how common that is. Good Luck

Old 07-30-2014, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,949 times
Question helllpppp !!!

Hay im new to this . But im a 22yr old dv n1 priority for nycha iHave been certified for 2 months now & iHave two children under the age of 3. How much longer will iI be wawaiting to be reached for an apartment offer ???? IHave also been residing in a shelter for 1yr now & completed my dv shelter last.summer ... how much longer ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery