Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2014, 08:06 AM

913 posts, read 2,278,313 times

Advertisements

That is confusing.

Are ordinary working people like you and I considered "community board"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 08:37 AM

18 posts, read 28,897 times
Community board is the area in which the apartment is located. Q41 is located in Community Board 1 ( Queens Community Board No. 1 ) so if you applied and currently lived within that area, you get preference for the available units.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM

Anyone else moved in recently?

Old 07-09-2014, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 50,088 times
I guess there aren't any updates...... :s

Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 8,633 times
I got a call from Q41 about 2 weeks ago if I would considering a unit in the higher tier. I was in the first group that dropped off documents, back in October or November 2013. I received a denial notice in December 2013 because my credit score was not 700+. (My credit score ranges from 650 to 680, depending on the credit report pulled). I said yes. I got a call on Wednesday requesting recent paystubs to see if I still met the income requirements. I faxed them in within the hour. I got a call later that day that I met the income requirement for both the studio and 1bd for the higher priced units and made an appointment for Monday to check the units. I'm not entirely sure I would be willing to pay $1448 for a studio considering it would double my current rent (I live in Astoria, less than a 90 second walk to the Broadway stop). I will take a look and make a decision then. I didn't get to ask any questions but will do so on Monday.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM

28 posts, read 50,088 times
Thanks greenkangarooo...
Do you have any preferences? Community board or ehat not..
I had a call the other day saying that they now have to finish with people that have preferences and then give apartments to others.
Well, lets see what happens in the next few weeks.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 AM

They called me a few weeks about saying I was next in line because my lottery number was so low. They said they're completely out of studios and 2 bedrooms. I like the studio price, but don't want to live in a studio and the 1 and 2 bedrooms are a bit overpriced in my opinion. The rep on the phone said they'll call me the following week to come in and sign a floor plan and of course, it isn't a guarantee because after completing the background check, the city could reject you for whatever reason. Anyways, never heard back from them about signing a floor plan and it's been weeks. Not sure if it's been a month since the call, but it's pretty close to it by now.

Anyone else move in recently or get a rejection letter? Anyone move in and brought a cat or fish with them?

Also, how on earth are you paying $700.00 a month to live in Astoria? That is unheard of unless you've been living there since World War 2 and your apartment is a s***hole!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:28 AM

23 posts, read 60,453 times
q41 - I recently moved out of a building in Astoria that still had tenants paying $800/month. They had lived in the building for 19 years.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:25 PM

That's what I thought. I'm sure the place was not all that pretty and the owner of the building was probably jumping for joy as soon as the tenant moved out so he could finally raise the rent to the going rate and make a profit.

Not sure what I'll do if Q41 ever calls me back for the next steps.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,633 times
q41apartments,
LOL. It is quite nice actually. It is technically a 2bd/1ba unit, the top floor of a 2 bd house (I think it was one unit at some point but it got converted to 2 different units) but the living room has been converted to a bedroom as well (it has a door and everything) so it's 3 rooms, very large kitchen, and bathroom. It does the job. I've been here for almost 2 years.

Anyways, I went today to check out the units. I looked at a studio on the 15th floor that was a hallway. Very poor layout and no balcony. I saw 2 different 1bd units, one on the 5th floor and another on the 6th. The 6th floor unit was amazing. it was a corner unit and the terrace/balcony might be bigger than the actual apartment. Apparently, that's the base for the window washing units so every 6 months it would need to be cleared so they could do the window cleaning. I immediately signed the floor plan.

I do have community board member preference (live in Astoria). No other preference type. My log number was somewhere in the 1020's, I believe. Like I had mentioned earlier, I was in the first ever group that was called in but was denied because of my credit score at the time. It is still not over 700 but it was pretty darn close (I had 2 baddies that should be falling off my report on 01/2015, everything in the last 6.5 years has been spot on). I'm not entirely sure if perhaps that's why they went back and are now taking me under consideration for a unit.

I am not confident that my application will be approved by HPD. The salary Q41 calculated for me is definitely above my actual yearly salary because I have been working a lot of overtime recently, which is never guaranteed at my job. Q41 used my last 4 pay stubs to calculate my yearly salary. HPD requires consent to receive salary information directly from your employer. I am not entirely sure what my HR will report or how HPD will interpret the data, but I'm fairly confident they will figure a salary that is below the minimum income for the 1bd. But I don't really have much to lose.

The staff didn't seem to be informed about much details about the units other than the initial application process. I asked what would happen if after moving in, my household composition changes (marriage, etc.) and I received a vague response that nothing would change but I wasn't entirely convinced. I asked if I took a unit now and later wanted a different unit, if it could be done but they said it would *probably* be rented at market value some way or another.

I was told the HPD approval process takes 3 to 3.5 weeks but I should call in 2 weeks for an update. Fingers crossed, and good luck to everyone else. I will definitely provide an update once I get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery