Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM

913 posts, read 2,272,872 times

Advertisements

After yours was denied, did they say you are completely out of the lottery race?

Also, I'm not sure why I haven't heard back in 3 months when they said I was next in line.

what was wrong with the unit you saw today? Did she ask you to sign for the unit on the 4th floor?

also, from your experience since these units are not guaranteed - what do you think are your chances of getting the 2 bedroom you want based on your interaction today and the number of units left.

also, do you think the slow process is because the city takes a long time to review the potential next candidates for approval?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM

74 posts, read 170,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
After yours was denied, did they say you are completely out of the lottery race?

Also, I'm not sure why I haven't heard back in 3 months when they said I was next in line.

what was wrong with the unit you saw today? Did she ask you to sign for the unit on the 4th floor?

also, from your experience since these units are not guaranteed - what do you think are your chances of getting the 2 bedroom you want based on your interaction today and the number of units left.

also, do you think the slow process is because the city takes a long time to review the potential next candidates for approval?
They never told me I'm out of the lottery. I called last week to see what's going on and if anything's available so I stay on their radar.

The unit I saw today was 1 bath (we want a 2 bath) and the bedrooms are adjacent. We wanted bedrooms separate for privacy if we have guests staying with us. Also, it was on the 4th floor and the views were terrible. If I'm going to take a pace in this building it better be worth it! Otherwise I'm waiting on Hunters Point South to open up.

I think we have a good chance as long as the city gives up on this guy who keeps appealing for the apartment we want. The process takes a long time bc they need to fill their 50% CB preference and they have to go above and beyond for those applicants. So the process takes a while because the city has to exhaust all the options for the CB folks (including numerous appeals) in order to meet requirements for the building. Although I don't agree with your involvement of race/class/SES in your arguments against the lottery process, Q41apts, I do agree with you that there is a lot of bureaucracy and red tape we all have to go through in order to benefit from our city's opportunities. However, once it works out it's totally worth it. I have friends who can now confidently call NYC their home thanks to the HPD lottery process.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:11 AM

26 posts, read 120,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by q41apartments View Post
Lotteries are not a good source for finding an apartment. All are waiting games and depending on which program you applied for based on income bracket, it could be a very long waiting game in terms of years.

They called me almost 3 months ago. My log number is 1990 range and borderline 2000. The rep said they'd call me the very next week to come in and sign a floor plan to continue the process because she said this in her words: Your log number is sooooo low you're literally next in line.

Here we are and Labor Day and Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I left them a voicemail last week, but haven't heard back from anyone. When they called me 3 months ago, she stated they're all out of 2 bedrooms. It's just mass confusion and I'm trying to keep everything professional. My life is not depending on this lottery because $1818.00 in rent is not truly a bargain.

It'll be horrible if you sign a new lease for an apartment just as Q41 gets their act together and offers you a place and you get completely screwed. By the way, my neighbor in my current apartment complex is having a bed bug massacre. Total drama!!!!!

Plus, the current tenants can't even use the gym because as long as they are occupying the 4th floor, the gym equipment can't be installed.
I know the wait and them not getting back to you is frustrating but $1800 as compared to market rate is quite a bargain. Most 1 bdrm apartments in luxury buildings I've seen recently go for 3k+

Old 08-13-2014, 08:56 AM

Is Hunters Point accepting applications?

If so, where do I get one?

with 12 units left, do you think we'll get one? My log number is in the 1990 range. Clearly, that means nothing.

3K plus is foe a 2 bedroom in LIC.

what is CB again? I live in Astoria. Am I considered CB?

Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Hunters Point is not accepting applications yet. The building has to be 50% complete before applications are released. You can check https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ry.html#logout for open housing lottery applications. The portal is now 100% online so all future HPD opportunities will be listed there.

You have a good log number, so you have a chance. Keep trying!

CB = Community Board. I think parts of Astoria are in Queens CB 1 (with LIC) - you need to double check that (I live in Brooklyn).

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM

I'll keep looking out for the Hunters Point application to be made available.

Is your number lower than 1990?

I agree that sometimes you have to hound them for them to continue processing your stuff or at least continue showing interest. It seems like you stayed out of this process for almost 3 months before calling them because I seriously thought you moved in long ago.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:47 PM

I was given such a hard time again. They were giving me issues about documents when i gave them everything they wanted. I can't even elaborate because it's beyond upsetting that I'll burst into tears. A lot of what they were asking wasn't even logical because I said: you have everything you want in front of you when I gave it months back. Why are you asking for the same thing again?

Anyways, they showed me several units. Pretty much all that was left and they said the remaining units need to be filled up fast!!!!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Oh my goodness. The drama involved is beyond ridiculous. I can't even elaborate or I might burst into tears. It's a never ending vicious cycle over documents they already have.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:14 PM

They asked us for our most recent paystubs again. I brought them in this week. I think it makes sense that they asked for recent paystubs to confirm income, but it would be ridiculous for them to ask for items you already brought in earlier this year.

Who did you talk to? What units did you see?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:16 PM

I met with the only 2 people in the office. One of them seemed a bit more efficient and i like Ms. lake as much as you do, but i felt she was being difficult for no reason.

I saw stuff on the 4th floor, and a few more units on the higher upper levels. You Are right. The stuff on the 4th floor are not the cream of the crop.

So where did you end it when you left their office? Are you going to take another 2 bedroom that's available? The other units that she showed you, are you going to take it?

I can tell you more, but I'm seriously on the verge of bursting into tears.

Last edited by q41apartments; 08-14-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery