Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM

24 posts, read 53,338 times

Advertisements

New to this whole process. I was also told that I would be contacted when they got to my number soon.

Does anyone know how they decided who was shown apartments last summer? Were multiple people shown the same apartments and asked to choose between two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:45 AM

41 posts, read 208,910 times
Contacted my case worker today because it is now October. I know the bldg is open but it seems the move ins are beyond slow. Turns out, my case worker is out of the office until next week I was hoping to get answers. I'm not sure if anyone paid attention but back during the 1st interview we signed a paper acknowledging that this bldg will be affordable for at least 20 years, specifically until December 31, 2034. At that time Related has the option to opt out of the program. Perhaps there is no real urgency to have the bldg filled prior to December 31, 2014.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:33 PM

93 posts, read 248,684 times
Perhaps there's no real urgency to have the building filled prior to 2034!
Maybe that poster that posted about 5 pages ago was right....this building is all "for show" ---smoke & mirrors---....so that Related could score points with the Mayor and score the development deals in most of Hudson Yards, by agreeing to build this building for us saps. :/

Old 10-01-2014, 01:14 PM

62 posts, read 140,671 times
I hate feeling like I'm annoying anyone but that's how I feel when I contact Related to get info. Ugh. But yes, I agree that it's just hard to focus on anything else when something as important as housing is in limbo. I've posted this before but I'll say again, we usually have a roommate to take on 1/2 the rent but because my previous one moved out in May, I didn't get another based on the fact that I was told I was approved and that the building would open in June. At that point I wouldn't have had to pay full rent for long, just a month maybe two I thought... I could have got a subletter for 5 months or whatever if I knew a date. So basically my problem is the lack of communication. Am I getting an apartment or not? As I think Karen voiced, if we knew a date and a for sure yes, we could plan our lives accordingly.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoz View Post
New to this whole process. I was also told that I would be contacted when they got to my number soon.

Does anyone know how they decided who was shown apartments last summer? Were multiple people shown the same apartments and asked to choose between two?

I was shown two apartments and told to pick my preference.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:15 PM

25 posts, read 49,505 times
MumzE, are you in Manhattan? Could I stay in that spare room your sub-letter was in, until you or I get into 529?
Meaning, if you get in 529, I will leave your place when you move into 529. If I get in 529, then I will leave your place.
I can pay $150 wk, $600 month.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenSoho View Post
MumzE, are you in Manhattan? Could I stay in that spare room your sub-letter was in, until you or I get into 529?
Meaning, if you get in 529, I will leave your place when you move into 529. If I get in 529, then I will leave your place.
I can pay $150 wk, $600 month.

We're in Brooklyn. If you send me a PM we can talk more about it.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 85,765 times
For the person who asked about my lease, my financials were updated so that November 15 is within the 90 day window, hence them being able to have the lease actually start then.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:43 PM

25 posts, read 49,505 times
MumzE, I tried to PM you. Got this message: MumzE has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:28 PM

14 posts, read 28,621 times
The latest at this end:

My friend who is up for both Manhattan Plaza and W 29th, spoke with his W 29th caseworker a few days ago. After singing yet another round of "Please release me, let me go" he got the usual non-committal reply. This time though he was referred to the person in charge of the selection process(!). Not sure what the significance of that is if any. They spoke directly.

His question: "given that I wasn't invited to view an apartment like other people and given that some are signing leases and even moving in, is it safe to say that I don't have much of a chance?". The answer was a resounding "absolutely not" (exact words!) and that many of the lease decisions are still pending and in flux and that anything can happen between now and when the building is finally filled (whenever that is) and that he's still "very eligible" and in the running.

He's traveling in the next couple of weeks so he asked if he could or should check back later and what's a good time. How about mid-October? Is that okay or is that too late? The supervisor said no problem, that's not too late, and yes of course by all means check back.

So much for the notion that this process will be completed by October!

Why is Related taking the initiative in contacting certain applicants but not contacting others and instead telling them to check back later? Not sure if they're playing with my friend and keeping him on the back burner just in case or do they really mean it. I'm guessing they're playing and using him as filler/backup. I'm also guessing a lot of these decisions are subjective in nature and have nothing to do with math or a formula or one's qualifications and log number. They're going for a certain look/feel and demographic, unlike Manhattan Plaza which is pretty cut and dried and by the book.

I said this before but I think Related is using artists and "little people" as pawns in their real estate chess game in order to get carte blanche and tax breaks from the government to build this mega metropolis called Hudson Yards. In the process, they are harming more artists than they are benefiting. There are only 139 units and while a lucky few will strike gold, look at how many others are being strung along, how many careers and livelihoods are being jeopardized and how many artists are being made homeless.

Some of the comments here are a snapshot of how artists and creative types in general are struggling and being tormented by the insanity of NYC real estate market and why so many have already left. Manhattan has become a sterile enclave for the rich and a facade for ignorant tourists -- kind of like Monaco and New York Land (think Disneyland) rolled into one. What made NYC once great is mostly gone, thanks to bad city planning and real estate greed.

Btw, this discussion board would make for a good New York Times article. Somebody out to print it out and send it to them (real estate section?) along with a good cover letter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery