Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 PM

16 posts, read 39,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem2 View Post
So i went to the office today. I decided that I'm probably not going to move in. The rent is about $400 more then what I'm currently paying and its literally back door to where I currently live. I'm also expecting to have a baby next month and they only want to offer me a two bedroom. I currently live in a two bedroom with my two boys so it wouldn't make any sense for me to move into another two bedroom. I'm also going to be on maternity leave for months which is not paid for so money will be extra tight.
That doesn't make sense, you need a 3 bedroom apartment. I was also hoping for a 3 bedroom as well since my oldest will be 18 in a couple of months. Did you let them know you might not accept it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 01:44 PM

70 posts, read 207,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrioLover View Post
Does anyone out there know the rules for getting a three bedroom? It seems a family of three qualify for a three bedroom according to the application.

For a 3 bedroom, family of size of 4 the income guidelines are $42,412 - $45,36. I currently make 40,000 a year so I'm off bit. This means i don't qualify for a 3 bedroom based on my income but I do qualify for a 2 bedroom because the annual income household income requirement is $36,823 - $50,340.

I was approved for a 2 bedroom but it really doesn't make sense for me to move and spend more money when I currently live in a 2 bedroom. I know the quality of living will be much better then living in NYCHA but I rather save and then move into a 3 bedroom.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramos02 View Post
That doesn't make sense, you need a 3 bedroom apartment. I was also hoping for a 3 bedroom as well since my oldest will be 18 in a couple of months. Did you let them know you might not accept it?
For a 3 bedroom, family of size of 4 the income guidelines are $42,412 - $45,36. I currently make 40,000 a year so I'm off bit. This means i don't qualify for a 3 bedroom based on my income but I do qualify for a 2 bedroom because the annual income household income requirement is $36,823 - $50,340.

I didn't let them know. I plan on calling them tomorrow. I was upset because I prayed on this and was really hoping it would work out. I was going to accept this 2 bedroom because I really hate living in NYCHA. I've been here for 3 years and I don't understand how people don't value their living residence.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:14 PM

32 posts, read 31,296 times
I'm wondering if anyone has recieved any phone calls and or mail after the credit check has been done? If so what did the letter and/ or phone call say? & what happens after the second interview? Do you get to sign your lease and get a move in date? Any information would gladly help & be appreciated! Thank you & good luck to everyone!

Old 03-26-2015, 08:17 PM

34,189 posts, read 47,612,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harlem2 View Post
So i went to the office today. I decided that I'm probably not going to move in. The rent is about $400 more then what I'm currently paying and its literally back door to where I currently live. I'm also expecting to have a baby next month and they only want to offer me a two bedroom. I currently live in a two bedroom with my two boys so it wouldn't make any sense for me to move into another two bedroom. I'm also going to be on maternity leave for months which is not paid for so money will be extra tight.
Why not take the 2 bedroom now and transfer to a 3 bedroom later on? The baby is going to be in your bedroom for at least a year anyway.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 PM

[quote=SeventhFloor;38975505]Why not take the 2 bedroom now and transfer to a 3 bedroom later on? The baby is going to be in your bedroom for at least a year anyway.

I was thinking of doing that. They don't have that many 3 bedroom units in this building. I believe there is only 4. I'll be up all night trying to make a decision!

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 PM

7,916 posts, read 7,986,005 times
Can someone take pics of the interior of the empty apts when you go and view them? Curious to see how they look

Old 03-28-2015, 10:23 AM

98 posts, read 155,878 times
Does anyone know how they determine eligibility for income?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:52 AM

21 posts, read 44,696 times
Is there anyone else out there that has had a second interview besides Harlem2? Did they indicate a move-in date yet?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:41 AM

98 posts, read 155,878 times
I also received a letter in the mail saying I was rejected due to income guidelines, but I know that's not true, and I do fit inside the income bracket. They don't even specify how they calculate income, and how much they have calculated. I feel the people who are handling our cases are incompetent. I definitely going to appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery