Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 08:13 AM

99 posts, read 232,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijo86 View Post
@giawin1Congrats! I totally agree with you! I tried talking to my coordinator and he was giving in. What did you need to do? I really wanted to reconsider.
Thank you! I didn't really need to do much. I was in contact with my agent a lot and was honest. Related wants to be accomodating to everyone. You can see on social media that they are quick to answer concerns that anyone has. At the end of the day, they don't want you to be unhappy *but* there are several agents working to get the best apartments for their client. there are a lot of moving pieces, which means that people must be flexible of course. But it also means that apartments become available at every stage of the process. If you never expressed dissapointment, your agent would not know to contact you. Even though we're happy with the apartment we ended up, I made sure to tell my agent if the exact layout/line becomes available on a higher floor, we want it! And you can believe that I'll reach out next week, and the week after to ask the same question.

Good luck! I visited the outside lounge area for Commons and it is really amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 08:23 AM

21 posts, read 30,200 times
@giawin1. I did express to my coordinator my disappointment. I am not excited at all to move into our place. I want to continue to express my feelings but don't want to sound to to pushy or brat either. I will try again today even though I haven't complained for over two weeks now. Do you think it's a high possibility I can still try? Btw did you get an apt in residence 11, which particular line is it?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM

69 posts, read 108,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaWin1 View Post
Thank you! I didn't really need to do much. I was in contact with my agent a lot and was honest. Related wants to be accomodating to everyone. You can see on social media that they are quick to answer concerns that anyone has. At the end of the day, they don't want you to be unhappy *but* there are several agents working to get the best apartments for their client. there are a lot of moving pieces, which means that people must be flexible of course. But it also means that apartments become available at every stage of the process. If you never expressed dissapointment, your agent would not know to contact you. Even though we're happy with the apartment we ended up, I made sure to tell my agent if the exact layout/line becomes available on a higher floor, we want it! And you can believe that I'll reach out next week, and the week after to ask the same question.

Good luck! I visited the outside lounge area for Commons and it is really amazing.
any photos of the outdoor space?

I'm thinking of swinging by next weekend to check out the shared spaces. My unit won't be ready until December but I wonder if I can manage to see it?
Has anyone been able to view their unit this far in advance?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:27 AM

103 posts, read 158,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post

I'm thinking of swinging by next weekend to check out the shared spaces. My unit won't be ready until December but I wonder if I can manage to see it?
I think your best bet will be to ask to see the same unit on a lower floor. If yours is not ready until December, it's probably still on a hard hat construction floor and Related doesn't like to bring folks up there. But I'm sure a lower floor is ready for you to see!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
@giawin1. I did express to my coordinator my disappointment. I am not excited at all to move into our place. I want to continue to express my feelings but don't want to sound to to pushy or brat either. I will try again today even though I haven't complained for over two weeks now. Do you think it's a high possibility I can still try? Btw did you get an apt in residence 11, which particular line is it?
I'm not sure what residence number it is but its a corner apartment south East. So I get Queens view (which isn't bad at all. it is quite beautiful) and I still get to see the water and freedom tower views of Manhattan. Although we face crossings, it is far enough that we still get the views.

I think there is a very high possibility. The apartment we ended up getting was available because someone gave it up at the time of signing. People get rejected, they give up apartments etc. There are open apartments and instead of them filling up the choice ones with the next log number, why shouldn't you get it, if it works better for you. Good luck. Stay in contact with your agent and be honest. I'm usually go with the flow but this isn't a barista getting my coffee order wrong, this is where I will live, raise my child and grow my family. I need to be happy. There is nothing wrong with that.

May I ask what is wrong with the apt you chose?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post

No photos. sorry. I was taking it all in. Someone posted a nice pic from crossings looking onto the space. It is really nice. They have private BBQ areas they call "cabanas" that you can rent. In addition to the outdoor spaces, you can also rent the loung area that has an amazing view and a kitchen I believe.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:38 AM

36 posts, read 62,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiaWin1 View Post
I completely agree. This doesn't mean that I should take what I'm given and not try for better options. Despite what has been said there are lots of apartments left especially in the higher brackets.

With that said, I'm done complaining. I happily accepted an apartment that had the layout I wanted with with an amazing view. Had I not asked, I would not be as excited as I am to make the move. For your information, we're giving up a very large apartment in Manhattan with amazing views and outdoor space. But you can't beat the fixed rent, new apartment and other amenities. I agree.

I was told by my agent that if we wanted to apply for a 3bedroom down the line, we would have to recertify. What happens if your family composition changes. Let's say my husband and I are expecting twins so we are becoming a family of 5 and not 3, which places us in a different band of mid income. Is it possible to recertify to pay less? Same question applies if one loses their job, takes a paycut etc. Does anyone know?

If your family size increases, you can definitely recertify and be placed on the internal transfer list for a 3 bedroom. However this building is not subsidized so regardless of income going up or down you will pay the rent that is listed on your lease until 1. your lease expires or 2. you transfer to a different unit.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPlus2027 View Post
If your family size increases, you can definitely recertify and be placed on the internal transfer list for a 3 bedroom. However this building is not subsidized so regardless of income going up or down you will pay the rent that is listed on your lease until 1. your lease expires or 2. you transfer to a different unit.
Great. Thank you. So if we do end up transferring from a 2 bed to 3, our rent can potentionally decrease? assuming there is a 3 bed in that bracket available?

Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 30,200 times
@giawin1- we were told that we were going to be given a larger apt and building. However, we were not given that.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
@giawin1- we were told that we were going to be given a larger apt and building. However, we were not given that.
I would definitely push back if you are not happy. Good luck! Our agent was sure to tell us that the end of the process if on the 16th but that doesn't mean anything because some people are not moving in until December. these people are waiting to sign lease. what happens if at the time of move-in they see the apartment and give it upt, they are rejected because income changed etc. You never know. Even after you move in, be sure to express you want to be placed on a wait list. For example, if you got Crossings and want Commons or vice versa, place yourself on the list. you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery