Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2015, 09:44 AM

142 posts, read 198,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
I was told to bring 3 blank money orders, 2 for my rent amount and one for 25.00 dollars. He said I would fill them out the day of the lease signing.
Thank you Divina50, Hope you have been enjoying your new home of the last few weeks and the area of LIC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 06:56 AM

22 posts, read 32,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHKA View Post
Hi LICCAT,

My agent told me "We require 3 separate cashiers checks since they are deposited into different accounts.
Made payable to HPS 50th Avenue Associates, LLC."

Hope that helps you, but double check with your agent, just in case.
Not that it likely matters all that much, but I was told to make mine payable to HPS Borden Avenue Associates, LLC. That is likely because I am in Crossing and not Commons, but could be worth mentioning depending on what building you're moving into.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:11 AM

22 posts, read 32,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetfairy View Post
I'm actually in the middle of the hall but near the 2nd set of elevators so technically I only have one neighbor next to me, but they seem to LOVE to blast the music or they might be partially deaf. If not music, they're watching TV which is right behind my bedroom wall . But good luck getting the corner unit!!
Sorry to rehash an already discussed topic, but the noise situation in this building is very worrisome to me. Looking back on this thread and the original HPS Lottery (Part I) thread, it seems like there are quite a few people here discussing the ability to hear music, TV, etc. from within their apartment. I only have a neighbor on one side, but I can clearly hear their music and TV when sitting in my bedroom. I'm curious if anyone thinks these cases are isolated to inconsiderate neighbors, or if the walls are really too thin. Having just moved in, I'm pretty concerned about the long-term potential of living here, having moved from a building where I couldn't hear my next door neighbors at all.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 AM

163 posts, read 271,288 times
This might not be helpful but I really think noise is such a case by case issue...it depends both on your sensitivity to it and the considerate or inconsiderate (or oblivious) nature of your specific neighbors. And your schedules. And the walls too, of course. But just as an example, I will say that in my current apartment I had no idea how much anything in my bedroom could be heard by neighbors until one day a few months in I very loudly heard my neighbor sliding things on the rack in their closet. It occurred to me then and only then that if I could hear my neighbor's closet they could DEFINITELY hear EVERYTHING I do in my room including music and movies. It just so happened that (I guess, anyway) they were never home and never noisy, so I never knew just how thin the walls were. They also never said anything to me about noise, so I just never knew. I still don't really know. I'm sure you could take a poll in any building and half the neighbors would say you never hear anything and half would say you hear everything. Are the walls thick and some people are just super sensitive or have obnoxious neighbors? Are the walls thin and some people just don't care or have quiet neighbors? I don't know if you can ever know.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 AM

101 posts, read 159,444 times
Quote:
I was told to bring 3 blank money orders, 2 for my rent amount and one for 25.00 dollars. He said I would fill them out the day of the lease signing.
I am in the Commons Building. Hope the information helps.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
Thank you Divina50, Hope you have been enjoying your new home of the last few weeks and the area of LIC.
Thanks, I have some furniture left in the old place but I am loving the new apartment. LIC is a new area for me but it is always exciting to explore a new corner of NYC.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:32 PM

I am at a loss when it comes to window treatment. I would like sheer curtains since this is my only window and I need the light but since I'm in front of the campus and I do need some privacy. The 2 windows being different lengths is throwing me off.

Old 10-12-2015, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,023 times
I recall reading that window treatments were provided. Is that incorrect? Are the windows bare when you move in?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifarfeli View Post
I recall reading that window treatments were provided. Is that incorrect? Are the windows bare when you move in?
The windows are not bare, they provide you with blinds. I need curtains because even with the blinds closed the gap is pretty big and people in the school can gaze in.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:34 PM

357 posts, read 656,639 times
Quote:
I am at a loss when it comes to window treatment. I would like sheer curtains since this is my only window and I need the light but since I'm in front of the campus and I do need some privacy. The 2 windows being different lengths is throwing me off.
I too am trying to figure out window treatments but I need Black Out curtains in the bedroom because I sometimes work night shifts and need to sleep during the day time. I was thinking of buying mismatched curtain lengths and see where to go from there. I brought my old curtain rods from my other apartment but the way the blinds were installed ABOVE the window ledge instead of INSIDE the window ledge kinda make it hard to put the rods up.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery