Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,782,265 times

Advertisements

Something I just heard:

"We are currently conducting a thorough review of our log to ensure that all applicants have been processed in log number order and assigned a unit adequately."

I'm just sitting here, sipping tea...

Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,882,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Something I just heard:

"We are currently conducting a thorough review of our log to ensure that all applicants have been processed in log number order and assigned a unit adequately."

I'm just sitting here, sipping tea...
Yep, pretty much what HDC told me and BG confirmed except tried to say in a nicer way.

In any case, the jury is out...

Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM

What a mess. I don't think anyone can draw any conclusions about what might happen to their individual application at this point.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
What a mess. I don't think anyone can draw any conclusions about what might happen to their individual application at this point.
Nope, such a sh*tty situation to be in .

Nothing worse than having your hope/dream put on hold.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 PM

994 posts, read 1,060,925 times
geez! when I started Monday off, I didnt expect so much sadness Im sorry you are on a detour @lulu I hope you get things cleared up! 700 smackeroos is definitely a dealbreaker; however,

@DMLCJ17 is right, for a 2 bed 2 bath washer/dryer in unit?? (your unit) the long term savings are, quite literally, bonkers

@randomperson, is this the third agent in as many weeks? How do you keep your cool? Thats crazy! So it would seem the "review" could mean that assigned units could be taken away should a discrepancy be found? I smell wait-lists

I will try to not post first on Tuesday - I think I jinxed today. Sorry folks

Old 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM

In all honesty, while I would like to get a 165% AMI apartment, I wouldn't accept one taken away from someone already living there, *unless* they were in on shenanigans. If it was just an admin screw-up, I couldn't do it. I'm not that hard up. But I suppose they wouldn't tell you what was going on. (I think it's pretty unlikely they'd evict anyone, actually, short of outright fraud. SUCH bad publicity.)

Yes, at this point I've had contact with four separate people. The last one was perfectly polite, though, and gave me an actual timeline (said I should hear by the end of the week), so...I do try to give each new one the benefit of the doubt. Still one can't help but wonder if there's a connection between the turnover and the "audit" (for lack of a better word).

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
In all honesty, while I would like to get a 165% AMI apartment, I wouldn't accept one taken away from someone already living there, *unless* they were in on shenanigans. If it was just an admin screw-up, I couldn't do it. I'm not that hard up. But I suppose they wouldn't tell you what was going on. (I think it's pretty unlikely they'd evict anyone, actually, short of outright fraud. SUCH bad publicity.)

Yes, at this point I've had contact with four separate people. The last one was perfectly polite, though, and gave me an actual timeline (said I should hear by the end of the week), so...I do try to give each new one the benefit of the doubt. Still one can't help but wonder if there's a connection between the turnover and the "audit" (for lack of a better word).
I dont think they can or would take an apartment away from someone living there, but if someone is in the process, with a unit assigned, that unit could be taken away should a clerical error be found.

Last edited by MannerundKatze; 10-23-2017 at 08:03 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 PM

I’m really curious about how long this has been going on. The HDC supervisor for Ashland alluded to this about a month ago but I didn’t understand what she meant. I’m curious though about when this review started. I suspect it’s been at least a couple months but we were perhaps not aware...

Old 10-23-2017, 08:05 PM

It must have been a while since it started. It would seem most people are being told end of this week for decisions...?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 PM

I wonder whether it's driven by complaints, or they caught some error internally, or HDC spotted one too many inconsistencies on its own. I guess we'll never know!

It seems potentially quite shady to me that BG proactively contacted me last week to find out if I was interested in continuing, given the alleged availability of only 200% AMI units. I assumed up til now that the review only just started and I was contacted before it started, then they didn't get back to me precisely because the review had started in the meantime. But if this review really has been going on for a while, and they can't say for sure *what's* available (and apparently they can't til the end of this week or so), then it made no sense to offer me a chance to drop out of the process based on lack of availability! I wonder how many people they *did* get to drop out? Did it make their lives easier to thereby reduce the number of applicants they had to worry about potentially reshuffling? What would've happened if I'd rejected a 200% unit instead of asking them to confirm there were no 165%s? Were their motives disreputable, or were they just really really incompetent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery